Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've always maintained that this sentiment called 'love' is over-glorified, and possibly very transient. I came across a worrying piece by Schopenhauer in some dusty old philiosphy book, saying something along the lines of...

Love is simply the expression of a species' need to reproduce.

This is quite plausible actually. I mean, Plato valued a sort of filial ('platonic') love between parents and children. But even parents taking care of their children....isn't that just an investment in their own genetic future? After all, we very rarely see parents so concerned about somebody else's children.

And so what is 'love' ?:something we 'think' we feel that transcends simple lust, or is it really an everlasting phenomenon that carries on even after the people who feel it have long since died? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Does love really exist?
    Yes, and it's great.

Same question can be asked of all our emotions. It's difficult to prove as the sources of our emotions are so intangible. Does happiness exist? Does sadness exist? Does grief exist?......

ReputationRep:
    I wish it was. I think in its illusionary form it does exist but it is society's construct to make reproductional urges feel more "dignified". All the symptoms of love are usually the result of our hormones, and when these no longer react in the same way, you are left with a boring relationship which has far more dull responsibility than "love".

I think I'll ignore that when I "fall in love" though!!

ReputationRep:
    Does love really exist?
    Does altruism exist?

Love is a form of altruism in which you are prepared to sacrifice your own persona happiness, health and safety for the good of someone else.

It does not imply anything sexual.

It could be said Jesus loved mankind.

It could be said Bobby Sands loved his comrades.

I understand neither concept (love and altruism) - I'm not choosing to get crucified nor to die after a couple of months on hunger strike - but am still able to be afflicted by them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Does altruism exist?

Love is a form of altruism in which you are prepared to sacrifice your own persona happiness, health and safety for the good of someone else.

It does not imply anything sexual.

It could be said Jesus loved mankind.

It could be said Bobby Sands loved his comrades.

I understand neither concept (love and altruism) - I'm not choosing to get crucified nor to die after a couple of months on hunger strike - but am still able to be afflicted by them.
    I personally find it very difficult to think of a completely selfless act.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    hehehe, you're like Joey from Friends!!

ReputationRep:
    So do I...

Iosa would have become popular and Bobby Sands never could have become as famous without dying for his cause.

Somewhere there is selfishness in every seemingly altruistic act.

ReputationRep:
    yes it does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    I came across a worrying piece by Schopenhauer in some dusty old philiosphy book, saying something along the lines of...

Love is simply the expression of a species' need to reproduce.
    If I worried about anything Schopenhauer said I'd have topped myself years ago

If a nice positive bouncy philosopher who believed in looking at the good side of life said it, then I'd be concerned!

ReputationRep:
    I don't subscribe to the, 'love is a representation of an instinct to mate' argument. Well, not entirely in any case. You don't fall in love with everyone you find attractive.

I think the human mind has evolved far enough for it to appreciate others to the extent where it can feel a very strong bond of companionship. In most relationships I would've thought there's a physical attraction as well, and the combination of this and the appreciation of a bond could be interpreted as love.

Maybe that's could just be wishful thinking.

Just a thought - if love is a desire to reproduce, where does that leave homosexual relationships? Maybe that's for another thread...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    I don't subscribe to the, 'love is a representation of an instinct to mate' argument. Well, not entirely in any case. You don't fall in love with everyone you find attractive.

I think the human mind has evolved far enough for it to appreciate others to the extent where it can feel a very strong bond of companionship. In most relationships I would've thought there's a physical attraction as well, and the combination of this and the appreciation of a bond could be interpreted as love.

Just a thought - if love is a desire to reproduce, where does that leave homosexual relationships? Maybe that's for another thread...
    I like your views - I really hope they are right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)

love isnt a desire to reproduce, I love my family. maybe its a differnt kinda love? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    You're asking for a tangible answer to something that isn't tangible?

But yes, human emotions do exist, if that's the answer you're looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walk By)
    love isnt a desire to reproduce, I love my family. maybe its a differnt kinda love? :confused:
    Yeah, I think we are talking about the romantic kind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)

That's the point. Maybe love is tangible - a simple byproduct of our consciousness that is explainable in terms of science and psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)

Of course these emotions exist. But we think they are transcendentally different to our physical needs.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think we are talking about the romantic kind.
    hmm...'m getting a headache...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)

This is a very good and plausible answer...thinking about it, you are probably right. I don't know where it leaves homosexual relationships though. If Schopenhauer is to be believed, then it renders these relationships void. However, I accept that, for some, homosexuality is a very real phenomenon. :confused: . A complex issue indeed!

ReputationRep:
    love does it exist hmmm......... I belive that love does exist but there is differnt forms of it like how a mother loves her son, or like a wife loves her husband, and how you love your bestfreind. But there is people that think "I love you" are just words. I think love is a deep down feeling.... emotion, that everyone hold inside them.

ReputationRep:
    My sceptical view is that love is nothing more than a power struggle between two people's insecurities, coupled with a splash of jealously, possessiveness and lust.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.