Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    Ahhh, you have either never felt it or have been burned and are in denial.
    Just because you think you have felt it does not mean it exists. Its like fate, one might feel that you have free will ie, experience feelings like regret (how could you regret something if it was bound to happen) but that does not necessarily mean it exists. Pervious posters have attempted to anaylsis whether love is a selfless act and whether people do such acts in the real world or whether all our actions are only committed due to selfishness.

ReputationRep:
    Love, like all emotions is based on crude logic concocted by an ancient relic of the brain, from earlier on in evolution. Thus the concious, logical mind is directed by it, but lacks direct control of it.

It is an addictive feeling, preserved because it benefits stability of the population. It attaches value to entities, causing individuals to protect their 'friends' and the intimacy it potentiates supports reproductive drives. The addictiveness of the stimulatory effects, drives individuals to seek it and retain it. This initial effect fades with time but is replaced by a developed value for the target individual.

The initial feeling of love is about as real as the effect of stimulants.

I guess what it comes down to, when all the grand descriptions and poetry are resolved - it feels good to be high.

ReputationRep:
    Alot of people on this thread seem to think that love is purely Biological, then you people must not believe in a subject known as Psychology!! The constant debate that runs through Psychology is nature vs. nurture i.e. biology vs. psychology. You cannot summarise love, as being purely biological as like many brain functions there is an element of the Psychological.

ReputationRep:
    Alot of people on this thread seem to think that love is purely Biological, then you people must not believe in a subject known as Psychology!! The constant debate that runs through Psychology is nature vs. nurture i.e. biology vs. psychology. You cannot summarise love, as being purely biological as like many brain functions there is an element of the Psychological.
    what causes the psychological functions in the brain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    what causes the psychological functions in the brain?
    Very small minded indeed.

Example: Twins are a genetic copy of each other yes? the zygote splits in two and twins are born. Now, If our actions were dictated SOLEY by biology then a large number of traits would be apparent in both twins. However, this is not always the case, one twin may be gay the other straight (by your logic both would always be gay or sraight), Both twins would have similar personalities, but anyone who has ever met twins knows this is harldy ever true.

If biology is the only explanation of love then why doesnt EVERY single human on the planet fall in love at some point? as we all operate on the some "ancient relic" that is our brain. Answer: Biology is only part of the explanation for love. (It does exist)

ReputationRep:
    Very small minded indeed.
    er no
    Example: Twins are a genetic copy of each other yes? the zygote splits in two and twins are born. Now, If our actions were dictated SOLEY by biology then a large number of traits would be apparent in both twins. However, this is not always the case, one twin may be gay the other straight (by your logic both would always be gay or sraight), Both twins would have similar personalities, but anyone who has ever met twins knows this is harldy ever true.

If biology is the explanation of love then why doesnt EVERY single human on the planet fall in love at some point? as we all operate on the some "ancient relic" that is our brain.
    how did that answer my question? What causes you to think thoughts like love then?

ReputationRep:
    If anyone has read 'Wuthering Heights', you'll know the type of relationship that exists between Heathcliff and Cathy. The definition of love for Cathy and Heathcliff is perhaps Emily Brontë's original creation. It is not based on appearances, material considerations, sexual attraction, or even virtue, but rather a shared being.

I have yet to see this type of love manifested in the real world; yet it seems to me that is an ideal as to what true love should be. After all, love that is purely based on the above(looks, money etc) is, I am sure, not very long-lasting. Rather, sharing a profound connection and companionship with another, that goes beyond these earthly "needs" is probably as close as one could get to experiencing what we term 'love'.

ReputationRep:
    er no, how did that answer my question? What causes you to think thoughts like love then?
    The process of thought (therefore the brain) is biological much in the same way a car operates on an internal combustion engine. However, the driver of the car dictates where the car goes, just as consciousness dictates what we do.

What I’m saying is that we are not ruled by our biological needs in the same way that animals are. Humans are sentient and have the choice to override them. After all, if love is purely biological why doesn't everyone fall in love?????????

ReputationRep:
    The process of thought (therefore the brain) is biological much in the same way a car operates on an internal combustion engine. However, the driver of the car dictates where the car goes, just as consciousness dictates what we do.
    ok thank you. Firstly consciousness could well be an illusion. Similar to the way love could be an illusion. However as you said a few posts ago this is a seperate arguement and I am prepared to drop my points on this.
    What I’m saying is that we are not ruled by our biological needs in the same way that animals are. Humans are sentient and have the choice to override them. After all, if love is purely biological why doesn't everyone fall in love?????????
    You can reason that people do not fall in love for biological reasons, such as being rejected would be deteremental to their position in society and hence (in an animialistic sense decrease their survivial chances)

ReputationRep:
    You can reason that people do not fall in love for biological reasons, such as being rejected would be deteremental to their position in society and hence (in an animialistic sense decrease their survivial chances)
    But what about people who actively seek but never find love?

ReputationRep:
    would you say love is a two way process? If they do not meet someone who is wired the same way they aren't going to find love are they?

ReputationRep:
    would you say love is a two way process? If they do not meet someone who is wired the same way they aren't going to find love are they?
    mmmmm....... that sounds interesting. I would agree, but the process that causes someone to be "wired" in a certain way is not purely biological.

ReputationRep:
    mmmmm....... that sounds interesting. I would agree, but the process that causes someone to be "wired" in a certain way is not purely biological.
    it may not be purely biological i would say personally

ReputationRep:
    (and it does exist)

ReputationRep:
    I totally believe Love exists. There's no doubt about it. I kinda prefer the more spiritual view of it tho rather than just see it as a fact of life from a scientific point of view (eg in psych)...

People are able to fall in love and devote their lives to each other, can't they? -Despite the somewhat contradictary evolutionary view that males are just oversexed beings who try and sleep with half the female population! People stay faithful becoz of love. And it's something u feel... u can't just switch it on and off like a lightswitch...

I'd say its more than just an emotion tho...I can't explain why. The real thing is for always... i totally believe that.
    (and don't say i'm naive and shatter my dreams)

lol. i'm somewhat biased tho... i strongly believe i soulmates... that there is one person in this world who is our ultimate destiny who we will love and will love us back forever...

ReputationRep:
    U can't actively seek something that is fundamentally just a feeling... otherwise then its just superficial... thats what i think anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    If anyone has read 'Wuthering Heights', you'll know the type of relationship that exists between Heathcliff and Cathy. The definition of love for Cathy and Heathcliff is perhaps Emily Brontë's original creation. It is not based on appearances, material considerations, sexual attraction, or even virtue, but rather a shared being.

I have yet to see this type of love manifested in the real world; yet it seems to me that is an ideal as to what true love should be. After all, love that is purely based on the above(looks, money etc) is, I am sure, not very long-lasting. Rather, sharing a profound connection and companionship with another, that goes beyond these earthly "needs" is probably as close as one could get to experiencing what we term 'love'.
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    Just because you think you have felt it does not mean it exists. Its like fate, one might feel that you have free will ie, experience feelings like regret (how could you regret something if it was bound to happen) but that does not necessarily mean it exists. Pervious posters have attempted to anaylsis whether love is a selfless act and whether people do such acts in the real world or whether all our actions are only committed due to selfishness.
    Atruism is said by some psychologists to exist but of course , it may be more relaistic to think that human behaviour is fundamentally selfish. We gain rewards from our actions eg when we "fall in love"... we feel good about ourselves- the warm and fuzzy feeling inside (REWARD)... we feel safe (REWARD) and of course, all the superficial.. we have a breeding mate now to carry on our genes(!) (REWARD)

ReputationRep:
    Love is very patient and kind
    Love is never jealous or envious
    Love is never boastful or proud
    Love is never haughty or selfish or rude
    Love does not demand its own way
    Love is not irritable or touchy
    Love does not hold grudges and
    will hardly even notice when others do it wrong
    Love is never gald about injustice, but
    rejoices whenver truth wins out
    Love is not self-seeking
    Love is not easily angered
    Love always protects
    Love always trust,
    Love always hopes, and always perseveres.
    Love never fails.

ahhh... my favourite quote! i think it sums it all up nicely

ReputationRep:

Sighs...

You know for a fleeting moment there, I was actually going to consider the rationality of your argument, but with that statement alone you've shown me a lack of appreciation of the simplicity of the systems you are so eager to deem complex and unique.

Choice is an illusion. You are suggesting the inability to predict a system as evidence of the presence of an illogical fallicy, choice.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.