The Student Room Group

how are electrons 'lost' in metallic bonding

I understand that the electrons arent really lost because they are still in the structure.

but how are they lost ( can i also use the word donated instead of lost) and how many electrons are lost. are all the electrons lost or is it that all the electrons on the outer shell

thanks
Reply 1
The valence electrons are effectively delocalised over the lattice.
Original post by alow
The valence electrons are effectively delocalised over the lattice.

what do you mean by valence electrons and could you add in a bit more detail please
Original post by Frank Peters
I understand that the electrons arent really lost because they are still in the structure.

but how are they lost ( can i also use the word donated instead of lost) and how many electrons are lost. are all the electrons lost or is it that all the electrons on the outer shell

thanks

The valance electrons are the ones which can be lost or gained in order to reach stability and applying the octet rule . For an atom that has valance electrons less than 4 it can lost them . For an atom that has more than 4 it can gains electrons to reach stability which is 8 electrons .
I hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Nada Billy
The valance electrons are the ones which can be lost or gained in order to reach stability and applying the octet rule . For an atom that has valance electrons less than 4 it can lost them . For an atom that has more than 4 it can gains electrons to reach stability which is 8 electrons .
I hope that helps :smile:

yes that makes complete sense thanks!

also, can i use the words donated as a synonym for 'lost'
Metallic bonding is the electrostatic force of attraction between cations (postively charged ions) and the sea of delocalised electrons. The electrons on the outer shell are the only ones which are lost. So metallic bonding in sodium would produce Na+ ions, magnesium Mg2+ ions, aluminium 3+ ions and a sea of delocalised electrons. It is this sea of delocalised electrons that make metals such good conductors.
Original post by Frank Peters
yes that makes complete sense thanks!

also, can i use the words donated as a synonym for 'lost'

Yes . An atom that lose electron is the electron donor , where the atom who gains electrons is the electron acceptor .
Happy to help you :smile:
Reply 7
Why hasn't anyone mentioned band theory?

:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Pigster
Why hasn't anyone mentioned band theory?

:smile:

Because AS Level :tongue:

On that note, this seems to be an explanation that omits all of the maths:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/semiconductors/chpt-2/band-theory-of-solids/

Quick Reply

Latest