Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I just received my AS Level results and they are v.poor:

Bio: B
    Chem: E
    English: D
    History:B

Now seriously guys, i dont need any sympathy, i know these grades are absolutely terrible, especially considering i attend a private school. for GCSE's i got 3A*'s, 6A's and 1B so this really comes as a shock to me.

Now i have a few dilemmas:

1) Obviously it now makes sense to take a gap year rather than apply to uni's this year with shoddy predicted grades. But how do i go about this? all my friends are writing their personal statements etc to apply this year, so do i just simply not do it and wait until next year? i know some people apply for deferred entry, but arent those only the people who have good grades and wanna take a gap year?

2) I have to decide what subject to drop before i go to A2. I am leaning towards chemistry as i got an E, however it seems more "risky" to keep english on for next year, as it is a pretty unpredictable subject, not to mention i thought i had done very well in the exam, only to find i got a D. However with chem, if u learn all he data, u get a good grade usually. of course i didnt learn the data, and got a weak grade.

3) Regarding retakes, is it possible to retake as/a2 levels during your gap year as well as your a2 year?

I am a bit confused, and some help would sincerely be appreciated guys!

thanks

ReputationRep:
    AS results are not the be all and end all!

:suitc: Simply look at your UMS points and acquire insight from your teachers, exam adviser etc to whether it would be worth your while to remark and if so, get modules remarked and it may improve your overall grade! However firstly consider how far away your mark is from the grade boundary as it often can be very costly to remark.
    :suitc: Acquire your exam script! This can be done by applying to the exam board and they will be happy to provide you with your exam script for some cost. By doing this you will be capable of seeing where you went wrong! By looking at your original script, it may indicate that your writing style is inappropriate for the question, or it may show where you lost marks inferring that you could do better in your retake, knowing what to expect!
    :suitc: Dependent on which subject you feel most lacking in confidence, drop that subject. However also consider the subjects which you will require for your future uni course and that will help you decide.
    :suitc: Offcourse it is possible to do AS/A2 resits in your gap year so don't fret about it but still put as much effort as possible in your work in the forecoming year!!!

Hope this helps!!xox

ReputationRep:
    In my AS i got BCDE. Got predicted around ABCD. Just got my results, and I got AABC. You can turn it around if you put the work in.

ReputationRep:
    If your school permits, and you wanted to, you could quite easily just move completely into the year below you and re-sit your AS exams with that year group. This would probably be easier if the staff at your school can genuinely see that you will improve.

However regarding subjects to drop, consider what you enjoy rather than what the grade was worst in- it'll be easier to work towards a higher grade in a subject you like rather than one you just do "just because".

ReputationRep:
    Dont be put of applying to Uni on these results, speak to teachers if your worried about predicted grades. You can talk to them about your dissapointment and if you assure them you are going to work real hard next year I am sure they wouldnt mind putting your predicted grades up slightly, but you will have to work hard next year.

Also is it necessary to drop a subject right now, why dont you continue all 4 and see how it goes next year, of you find you struggling in one then drop it then rather than now.

ReputationRep:
    my best advice is not to panic....its your AS levels and the best thing is that you can retake all the modules u want in january and be sitting on AAb or AAc if you move up a grade in each subject (maybe you just screweed up one module in bio/history bringin you down to a B?)....hey its not like you screwed up your A2s which wud be far worse.

For the subject to drop i advise which ever ur worst/least enjoy. i did AS chemistry and hated it so dropped it...from what ive heard A2 chemistry is hard. also english ive heard to be very laid back in terms of revision...you just study the books throughout the year and then concentrate on bio/history revision in A2 study leave...another science on top of bio/history is a shed load of work in my opinion...i did bio A2 and i had to dedicate most of my revision time to that one subject as it has a rather large content...trying to combine that with chemistry wud be horrid i think. However if you enjoy chemistry more you will find the rest of the course much easier to learn.

End of the day you have a whole year to turn it all around. Just work hard and you will get the grades you want.

ReputationRep:
    I read your post and tbh you sound very much like me a few years ago, thought my experiances might be able to help:

As people have said above i wouldn't be to worried with 'bad' AS grades,

I was always resonably intelligent and managed to get my way through school without putting much work in gaining ok GCSE's. But when i first took my AS levels i got: Chemisrty (U), Biology (U), Maths (E), (compared to me your grades are very credible). As im sure you can appreciate i was extremely dissapointed with this although i cannot say it came as much of a shock compared to the amount of work that i put in.

I initially decided to go straight back to do AS's at my 6th form again, i thought choosing different subjects and a new attitude would motivate me to put more work in........ it didn't. I finished the year only with 2 AS's out of the 4 that i started with the grades similar to the previous year.

Feeling a great loss of confidence but still a desire to do well i started a national diploma at college, hoping that the change in sceanary and the lack of exams would again push me into putting more effort in. I realised pretty early on that the course wasn't for me and i left college to become a full time tennis coach.

At the time this seemed to be the best decision i'd ever made, earning ok money spending all my time teaching kids, i loved it. All was great for a year or so, but as time went on i felt a bit 'lossed', tennis just wasnt for me anymore, anyway to cut a long story short, i decided to take up studying again and booked myself into the AS maths exams for June. I worked full-time coaching still and taught myself AS maths in my spare time.

Anyway i got my results this morning and i got an A, and in september i start at college doing fast track a levels and A2 maths and plan on going to uni next year.

So my advice is, don't get yourself down because you didnt do as well in your AS's as you would've liked. It can be turned around. For me leaving education was the best thing i could've done because it gave me the motivation to go back and try harder than i ever would have otherwise. But everybody is different, this results day might be the kick up the behind that you needed and you can still turn it around next year with the grades you have. Remember you don't have to complete your a levels in the 2 years, you could always take some A2 units again the following January.

I know its a difficult time but, dont make any rash decisions, talk to friends, parents and teachers they are the people that know you better than anyone, and im sure eventually everything will work itself out.

Good luck and i hope it goes well.

p.s. sorry for the long post everyone, didnt mean it to sound like an autobiography, got kinda passionate then!

ReputationRep:
    I vote you write a personal statement anyway along with everyone else so you can get advice on it from school because then if you apply during a GAP year you'll just have to update it a little rather than start from scratch without help from school. You'll also have references done this way which can be updated similarly when you leave in the U6, rather than having to make millions of phone calls to school when you've already left and they'll be more interested in sorting out the year below you who are applying at the same time.
    That way you can apply either this year, or next year, or both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebigshow)
    Hey,

I just received my AS Level results and they are v.poor:

Bio: B
    Chem: E
    English: D
    History:B

Now seriously guys, i dont need any sympathy, i know these grades are absolutely terrible, especially considering i attend a private school. for GCSE's i got 3A*'s, 6A's and 1B so this really comes as a shock to me.

Now i have a few dilemmas:

1) Obviously it now makes sense to take a gap year rather than apply to uni's this year with shoddy predicted grades. But how do i go about this? all my friends are writing their personal statements etc to apply this year, so do i just simply not do it and wait until next year? i know some people apply for deferred entry, but arent those only the people who have good grades and wanna take a gap year?

2) I have to decide what subject to drop before i go to A2. I am leaning towards chemistry as i got an E, however it seems more "risky" to keep english on for next year, as it is a pretty unpredictable subject, not to mention i thought i had done very well in the exam, only to find i got a D. However with chem, if u learn all he data, u get a good grade usually. of course i didnt learn the data, and got a weak grade.

3) Regarding retakes, is it possible to retake as/a2 levels during your gap year as well as your a2 year?

I am a bit confused, and some help would sincerely be appreciated guys!

thanks
    Hey,

Regarding the uni application it may not be a bad idea to speak to your teachers before making an application. They may predict you with higher grades if you can show your determination so you won't need a gap year after all. You could decline your AS grades so they don't show on your UCAS form and then the unis will go on these predicted grades.

I think you should drop whatever you feel least comfortable with because you have got a lot of work to do. Speak to your English teacher first though and see if they can advise you on where you might have gone wrong (perhaps get the script back to make an informed decision). English is unpredictable, however, so you may be better set to take chemistry- but it depends what you like. Do you WANT to do these subjects? If not you could redo AS with completely new subjects or a mix of both.

If you want to go onto A2 year and re-sit during this period check out the exam timetables for both January and June and chose which modules you would like to resit where. If your college doesn't let you sit January modules it is still not a bad idea to take a couple- perhaps you could get chemistry out of the way then given that it is a lot to learn?

You have to make sure, if you are going to retake in your gap year, that your grades aren't certified. You can worry about this next year but you must speak to your exams officer shortly after your A2 results, or even before.

Best of luck. :-) xxx

ReputationRep:
    They're not that bad!!! Just resit the E & D subjects.

ReputationRep:
    You're in a better position than most. My reasonably intelligent friend got UUUE, and the E was for Critica Thinking. He's not sure if he is gonna be allowed back to college next year.

ReputationRep:
    That's not that bad a result, and regarding your lower grades, on the results slip it should give the breakdown of the mark. So maybe you did worse on one module which brought down your mark - resit this module and hopefully your mark will improve.

With unis, i asked my teacher whether these results will help or hinder our options, he said that they look at your predicted A-Level grades, as you can re-take these, and apparently some independent schools take AS's and A's together, so don't worry

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.