Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I just received my AS Level results and they are v.poor:

Bio: B
    Chem: E
    English: D
    History:B

Now seriously guys, i dont need any sympathy, i know these grades are absolutely terrible, especially considering i attend a private school. for GCSE's i got 3A*'s, 6A's and 1B so this really comes as a shock to me.

Now i have a few dilemmas:

1) Obviously it now makes sense to take a gap year rather than apply to uni's this year with shoddy predicted grades. But how do i go about this? all my friends are writing their personal statements etc to apply this year, so do i just simply not do it and wait until next year? i know some people apply for deferred entry, but arent those only the people who have good grades and wanna take a gap year?

2) I have to decide what subject to drop before i go to A2. I am leaning towards chemistry as i got an E, however it seems more "risky" to keep english on for next year, as it is a pretty unpredictable subject, not to mention i thought i had done very well in the exam, only to find i got a D. However with chem, if u learn all he data, u get a good grade usually. of course i didnt learn the data, and got a weak grade.

3) Regarding retakes, is it possible to retake as/a2 levels during your gap year as well as your a2 year?

I am a bit confused, and some help would sincerely be appreciated guys!

thanks

ReputationRep:
    i think BBDE is very good!

ReputationRep:
    don't worry my AS was BCCE and I came out with BBB 2day with 2 marks off an A in chem, but LSOP wont expect me, they said 'm on the waitin list...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Take a look at individual module grades-are there any that are especially low? If so retake those modules in January to bump up your grades. You can retake subjects beyond A2- I know plenty of people who have stayed on a third year to improve their grades, its not unusual. AS levels are only a slight indication of what you'll get overall and retakes can change grades quite a lot. You could apply and see what you get in terms of offers and then take it from there. Don't feel pressured to apply this year-you can apply anytime People defer for all kinds of reasons, and don't necessarily have to get great grades to take one

ReputationRep:
    Bah don't worry be happy you got this now its a kick up your back side.
    Last year got:
    Bio:A
    Math:B
    Chem:C
    Ph:B
    So chessed off I worked my butt of and got AAAa. I found the jump to A level a big shock, don't take a year off learn from your experiance.

ReputationRep:
    Find out how many modules you can retake and retake them if you don't like your grades. Oh, yeah, and this should give you a good boot up the ass for next year..

ReputationRep:
    Omg same thing happened to me and i retook tryed so hard and got the best results this year so my advice is learn from it and try so hard also unis look at predicted grades for a2 not as grades as they see them usless because of retakes n such

ReputationRep:
    Yeah don't feel bad! Just retake the modules you need to. Trust me...its not the end of the world!

ReputationRep:
    I originally got BBCE at AS which is only 1 grade above what you got today. In January that went up to BBBE and now it's ABBE.
    As for the full A-Levels, I came out today with BBB so it's deffo not the end of the world. Just re-take some modules and relax, you'll be fine!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.