Cal1999
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,

I am applying to study History and Spanish/ German at Durham and was wondering if I could get some general advice.

After attending the open day, I fell in love with the city and the university, however, I am unsure whether or not I would fit in.

My predicated grades are A* A* A; however, my family have had doubts about me fitting in, and thus has made me have doubts.

I've also heard by teachers that there is a 'certain type' of person that goes to Durham - what that means, I don't know.

So, my questions:

1. What type of people attend Durham? Is it hard to generalise? What backgrounds - working class, middle class?

2. What is the best college? I didn't like Chad's.

3. Does anybody have any comments on the History or Languages department?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Kind Regards.
clonedmemories
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Durham has something of a reputation for being very middle class, and that reputation isn't exactly undeserved. It has the lowest working-class intake after Oxford and Cambridge. However, that doesn't mean you won't fit in. Some colleges in particular tend to attract more from either group, with the general rule being the further you go down the hill, the more middle class you get - Butler has the highest number of students from low income backgrounds, and Castle, Hatfield and Hild Bede have the highest. You can always find people you fit with in college or through societies.

The best college depends on what you want in a college. They all suit some people and not others. I was at Butler and had an amazing time there, but I know plenty of people who would have struggled there as well.

I've heard good things on both, but that's as much as I can give you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)
3.83%
Classical (46)
5.87%
Hip-Hop (148)
18.88%
Electronic (53)
6.76%
Indie (128)
16.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise