Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are there any songs you love that nobody else seems to have heard of? Recommend them here, and we'll all go digging them up on Kazaa.

One of my favourite songs is 'Crying Like a Church on Monday' by the New Radicals. It's an album track and it's really beautiful, but everyone thinks the band was a one-hit wonder and not worth listening to.

More please...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    Are there any songs you love that nobody else seems to have heard of? Recommend them here, and we'll all go digging them up on Kazaa.

One of my favourite songs is 'Crying Like a Church on Monday' by the New Radicals. It's an album track and it's really beautiful, but everyone thinks the band was a one-hit wonder and not worth listening to.

More please...
    Red House Painters and Trespassers William - two Southern Californian bands that, despite having launched their careers on British Labels (4AD and Bella Union), have never had that much success.

Red House Painters - Have You Forgotten was on the Vanilla Sky soundtrack and is pretty well known.
    Trespassers William - Vapour Trail or Lie In the Sound

You might get the RHP song on Kazaa, but apart from that, you won't find them on Kazaa.

ReputationRep:
    I know people here have heard of them, becuase I have discussed them here before.

But those who haven't heard them should listen to anything by Mclusky. Now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    I know people here have heard of them, becuase I have discussed them here before.

But those who haven't heard them should listen to anything by Mclusky. Now.
    What kind of music do they play?

ReputationRep:
    Ghetto Music ~ Outkast

Tis from the speakerboxxx album!

Just pump up the bass and the volume! Turn up Subwoofer preferably aswell!

I feel this is one of the songs however that loses a lot of its quality in mp3 format!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    What kind of music do they play?
    Hard to descibe, I'd say.

Some people lump them with the punk metal label, but it's one they don't like very much, and it's one that doesn't really suit them.

Just very witty lyrics, and they put on a very intense and fantastic live show.

ReputationRep:
    Hard to descibe, I'd say.

Some people lump them with the punk metal label, but it's one they don't like very much, and it's one that doesn't really suit them.

Just very witty lyrics, and they put on a very intense and fantastic live show.
    McLusky are fantastic...

some others:

The Gossip - Fire/Sign (similar to the Yeah Yeah Yeah's but alot better)

The Shins - New Slang

TV On The Radio - Staring At The Sea

Modest Mouse - Float On (althouth their album entered the charts at 40, so they are kinda popular now i guess)

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I'm going through a bit of an obsession with The Futureheads. But there is something missing with Decent Days And Nights...
    A To B is probably my favourite one of theirs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    McLusky are fantastic...

some others:

The Gossip - Fire/Sign (similar to the Yeah Yeah Yeah's but alot better)

The Shins - New Slang

TV On The Radio - Staring At The Sea

Modest Mouse - Float On (althouth their album entered the charts at 40, so they are kinda popular now i guess)
    These all sound like songs off the XFM playlist...

I really like Modest Mouse. I'd heard a lot about them but only took notice of them when they released Float On. I've now got Moon And Antartica and Good News for People Who Love Bad News and there are so many good songs. Quite different from Float On though.

Bury With Me It and Tiny Cities Made of Ashes are two songs that have impressed me.

Should also say that Modest Mouse are considered as precursors of a lot of bands such as Franz Ferdinand.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I'm going through a bit of an obsession with The Futureheads. But there is something missing with Decent Days And Nights...
    A To B is probably my favourite one of theirs.
    They're doing a free gig in the Slectadisc on Berwick St (just off Oxford St) on Friday...might be worth a lookie if you're anywhere near...they are supposed to be very good live...

ReputationRep:

More please...
    I love that song!!
    its the best!!

gave u rep 4 liking it- no-one else has ever heard of it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    I love that song!!
    its the best!!

gave u rep 4 liking it- no-one else has ever heard of it!!
    Hehe, cool! Thanks Ruthie. I was just listening to the album and thinking how lovely that song is. Also, 'I don't wanna die any more' always gets me shouting along.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, cool! Thanks Ruthie. I was just listening to the album and thinking how lovely that song is. Also, 'I don't wanna die any more' always gets me shouting along.
    yeah...that album is actually really good.
    i find that a lot- with weird peoples albums...like there is a good track another unknown album (that i can't remember the name of )!!

ReputationRep:
    Nirvana's cover of 'the Man who sold the world'

ReputationRep:
    They're doing a free gig in the Slectadisc on Berwick St (just off Oxford St) on Friday...might be worth a lookie if you're anywhere near...they are supposed to be very good live...
    Really? If I'm lucky with trains and buses I can be there in 45minutes. I'd have to be very lucky though...

Is it just turn up til the venue is full? Any links to online info?

ReputationRep:
    Really? If I'm lucky with trains and buses I can be there in 45minutes. I'd have to be very lucky though...

Is it just turn up til the venue is full? Any links to online info?
    i'm not sure of the details, I only found out about it by chance when I was there yesterday...3:00 on Friday is all I know...If I can't find any more info, i'll probably just chance it and turn up...I'll have a look around though...

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure of the details, I only found out about it by chance when I was there yesterday...3:00 on Friday is all I know...If I can't find any more info, i'll probably just chance it and turn up...I'll have a look around though...
    3pm? Right.. I just did a websearch but all it came up with was 'secret gig' all over the place. Which is why I guess there's not much by way of information.

If I can scrape a fiver for a travelcard together, I'll head up there too.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.