The Student Room Group

A levels, language degrees, what to do next (pretty please help/give me some advice)

I am currently doing the following A levels:
Art and Design
Spanish
Latin
English Literature

I am potentially dropping English as I just cannot stand the lessons/work/teachers/subject.
If I want to apply for a language degree, how will universities look upon just Art and Design, Latin and Spanish plus an EPQ (in a language area)?
I got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE and want to aim fairly high with my university applications ( to places like Durham, Edinburgh, maybe Cambridge depending, Bristol, SOAS, UCL)
I have also looked at Anthropology and Law.

How is Art and Design looked upon by universities?

My teachers are expecting me to get 2A*s and 1A. I am also very active extra curricular wise.

Thank you so much - any advice/comments/help is greatly appreciated. In a bit of a predicament at the moment.
Art and design isn't considered a facilitating subject so most Russell Group courses would only see it worthy as a 4th subject when applying for a language course. Spanish will be good, but I think they like you to study two 'living' languages, so I don't know how fondly the more elite unis (Cambs, Durham etc) look on Latin.

Could you take up a second modern language to replace English?
(edited 7 years ago)
unis aren't a fan of art and design but tbh it won't matter bc your grades are amazing and languages degrees aren't particularly competitive.
I agree with the comment on Art and design as only a 4th A level.

As far as I'm aware (although don't take what I say as gospel), doing Latin is absolutely fine - you only need one modern language anyway, and besides, Latin is still a language and is a rigorous, broadly relevant academic subject. I don't see the problem with it!

Quick Reply

Latest