Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    why do you have to spend more when you're making new friends?!
    I don't get it!
    Cuz you don't just go to one place and have some drinks, you go to various places, and get a takeaway on the way back.

ReputationRep:
    not in my experience

ReputationRep:
    £5 a night! Do you drink? More money is needing when making new friends during Freshers week because you want to enjoy yourself to the full and be involved in everything. We went drinking during the day as well and went ice skating and bowling. All these things cost money!

ReputationRep:
    I spent £100 during my freshers' week, including everything except any additional kitchen stuff. This also included my membership of 10 societies at the freshers' squash

Sorry, mermania, it sounds like you just did virtually nothing during your freshers' week and had no fun.

ReputationRep:
    i spent no money on fresher week and made no friends either :-(

however, i made friends over the next two years and everyone else said "oh yeah, freshers week, it was OK but the rest of the year was better"

diagnosis?
    freshers week sucks

ReputationRep:
    The first night of my freshers week we went out at 7 and then spent the next 7 hours drinking, I spent at least £20 that night. And more after when we had to do things in the day too.

ReputationRep:
    It's good to know I just planted a few money trees!

ReputationRep:
    my last freshers wasnt that good. the rest of the year was better when got to know people better.
    this year freshers week is going to be amazing because living in a house with all the friends i made last year and going out with them. even though theyre theyre the same people i went to freshers with last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    why do you have to spend more when you're making new friends?!
    I don't get it!
    God are you stupid?

You have to spend more money than usual in front of new friends to show how loaded your parents are and how cool that makes you that you have no consideration for how the 'real' world works.

Having said that, I do understand that someone would spend a LOT more than a usual week during Freshers... but £100 MAX. I think I'll budget £80 and TRY not to spend all of it. There's being indulgent then there's just ridiculous. Why waste what seems to be a small consensus of hundreds of pounds on ONE single week, with people you'll probably not hang around with much again on drinks that'll cause you not to remember the next day? For me that's not quality money spending.

ReputationRep:
    £30 a week should be enough. Just pull the cool face and get someone else to buy drinks for you. Plus, there will be promos everywhere cause pubs and clubs want to attract Freshers to them so it'll be cheaper than a normal week.

ReputationRep:
    i really cant see how £30 will last a week, and i think spending £200 going out for a whole week day and night is pretty dam good to be honest !

ReputationRep:
    £30 a week???? i would spend £30 in one night at a pub

ReputationRep:
    *feels smug that she doesn't drink and so will save a lot of money*

ReputationRep:
    ^^ hehe, I hate to break it to you, but probably only £10-£20 of the £100 that I quoted went on drinking...

ReputationRep:
    i would say im probally going to end up spending at least £200 during freshers week(2 weeks at my uni of choice)

ReputationRep:
    My grandad has given me £1000 to spend during Freshers' Week. If I have anything left by the time I start classes, he said he will personally invade my Halls and take it back from me in front of all my new 'mates'.

SECURITY!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Pipkin)
    My grandad has given me £1000 to spend during Freshers' Week. If I have anything left by the time I start classes, he said he will personally invade my Halls and take it back from me in front of all my new 'mates'.

SECURITY!
    If he has that much money to throw around, tell him to give some to charity :p:

ReputationRep:
    Word to the wise...drink quite a bit before you go out, either that or don't eat b4 u go out-not advisable.....get drunk cheaply and only worry abt ur entry fees.

Right just checked...Freshers fortnight is gna cost me £48 minimum just for tickets....unless some kind gentleman decides to pay my entry into some events-lol! yea...right.

I have no savings really.

ReputationRep:
    how can you spend £20 a night, n00bs!!!!!! i tell you!!!!.

you could buy a bottle of vokda between 6 for like £3 each and get mashed up!

Whos with me.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acer3000)
    how can you spend £20 a night, n00bs!!!!!! i tell you!!!!.

you could buy a bottle of vokda between 6 for like £3 each and get mashed up!

Whos with me.........
    Takes alot more than that to get me smashed. Costs about £40-60.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.