Turn on thread page Beta

General Freshers Question watch

ReputationRep:
    £20 a night being deemed ridiculous!? I can't wait to get out of London, nights sound like they're going to be so much cheaper. Here's a typical rund-down of a night in London:

Start at pub... 2 pints (£6)
    Move off to club... 1 more pint (£3), then as the evening gets on a wide array of shots, spirit combinations etc usually costing £5 min
    TFL Transport... £5

Total - about £20 (and that's a light estimation - i typically have to spend about £25 if i'm having a proper night out), although if you're going out late the prospect of a taxi could add to that as could a particularlay wild night.

Then again if you just went to a local pub you could probably escape with only spending £6 if it was walking distance and you had 2 pints with no intention of getting drunk... but an evening for less than a fiver!? unless you're using SU bar or potentially following the idea of buying a litre of vodka and sharing it i can't see how it's possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XIII)
    £20 a night being deemed ridiculous!? I can't wait to get out of London, nights sound like they're going to be so much cheaper. Here's a typical rund-down of a night in London:

Start at pub... 2 pints (£6)
    Move off to club... 1 more pint (£3), then as the evening gets on a wide array of shots, spirit combinations etc usually costing £5 min
    TFL Transport... £5

Total - about £20 (and that's a light estimation - i typically have to spend about £25 if i'm having a proper night out), although if you're going out late the prospect of a taxi could add to that as could a particularlay wild night.

Then again if you just went to a local pub you could probably escape with only spending £6 if it was walking distance and you had 2 pints with no intention of getting drunk... but an evening for less than a fiver!? unless you're using SU bar or potentially following the idea of buying a litre of vodka and sharing it i can't see how it's possible
    That's actually very cheap for London. When I stayed in London pints were costing me about £3.50 in a pub and anything between £3.50-5.00 in a club on the weekend.

I live in Northern Ireland. A pint is about £2.50 in the pub, and about £3.00 in a popular club.

Obviously student places are a hefty bit cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    I spent £35 going out last night in Guildford, then again it's all relative isn't it, I have a cushty summer job so it's just about excusable.

Anyway back to the original question, I think I spent about £100 or so. Quite a bit on food and that, went out pubbing/clubbing two or three times. If I had gone to my ludicrously overpriced Freshers Ball I would have spent £20 more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oneupthebumdonttellmum)
    That's actually very cheap for London. When I stayed in London pints were costing me about £3.50 in a pub and anything between £3.50-5.00 in a club on the weekend.

I live in Northern Ireland. A pint is about £2.50 in the pub, and about £3.00 in a popular club.

Obviously student places are a hefty bit cheaper.
    You're probably right to be honest.

I don't profess to be a master of these sort of things. As a 17 year old student i've developed a fairly regular list of places i go to with friends and naturally these are going to be towards the cheaper end of things, i wouldn't have the money to visit the nicer places. But like you said, London can get really expensive.

For example, the first time i went to SeOne (for those non-londoners, London's biggest club - can take abou 4,000 i think), i came back so poor. Started the evning with two pints at £3.20 each (£6.40 so far), got a day travelcard at about £5 (total £11.40), headed off to SeOne, payed £20 to get in, so thus far £31.40. Now i'm inside it was something like £3.00 for a 200ml can of beer and other drinks were similarly overpriced - ended up spending near £50 in one evening :O was an awesome evening though, pendulum were playing there and they were awesome - one of the great things about London, you'll have memorable but expensive evenings like that the chances of pendulum playing in warwrick or somewhere similar are near nil (although apparently Robinson college Cambridge had them for their May Ball this year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proton Boy)
    I spent £35 going out last night in Guildford, then again it's all relative isn't it, I have a cushty summer job so it's just about excusable.

Anyway back to the original question, I think I spent about £100 or so. Quite a bit on food and that, went out pubbing/clubbing two or three times. If I had gone to my ludicrously overpriced Freshers Ball I would have spent £20 more.
    Guildford! I visited a couple of clubs there. Complete rip-off to be honest. One night they were charging £2.50 a pint, the next, for the same pint, £5.00.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oneupthebumdonttellmum)
    Guildford! I visited a couple of clubs there. Complete rip-off to be honest. One night they were charging £2.50 a pint, the next, for the same pint, £5.00.
    It's really over-rated and is one of the most expensive places to live in the UK. I know students at Surrey Uni there who are forced to commute next year because they can't afford the rents in the private sector accomodation.

I think you might have gone first on a Monday night which is student night in G'ford and then gone again the Tuesday night. £5 for a pint though, that is steep.

I reckon most people should be able to get through Freshers Week fairly comfortably on about £80-£100. If one of the primary costs for the week is going out, then obviously if you're at uni in the North/Scotland/Wales things are going to be cheaper. What really hit me was book costs, our uni bookshop charged £16.99 for a 200 page paperback giving relatively brief outlines of the major topic areas of political philosophy. £16.99, the bloody cheek of it.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me who can spend £60 going out in one night? It's going to be an expensive week

ReputationRep:
    I can here, but with uni prices I think I'd struggle.

ReputationRep:
    I do tht evry time i go out reely thats why i wanted to see how cheeply people had done it for and stuff like prices at the unions etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually convinced that I hand money out to strangers when I'm drunk....there is no way I actually drink it all!!!! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    lol i know coz ive been told that i just hand out drinks i cant rember any of it but i just constantly buy people drinks and they dont accept em so i drink em myself god im cool lol

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.