The Student Room Group

What is history's best example of 'that escalated quickly'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cato the Elder
Charles I tries to arrest five members of the House of Commons and causes a civil war.

LOL. That did not escalate quickly. That happened over 11 years as Charles I ruled without parliament, Charles I being a dick to parliamentarians, Charles I dictating the power of kings above the will of the people, unlawful taxation, war against the scots, enforcement of Anglicanism. That part did not escalate quickly.

What did escalate quickly was Charles I forcing the Book of Prayer on the Scots, Scots lose it and start a war against Charles I which then leads to the Civil War.
Original post by oShahpo
LOL. That did not escalate quickly. That happened over 11 years as Charles I ruled without parliament, Charles I being a dick to parliamentarians, Charles I dictating the power of kings above the will of the people, unlawful taxation, war against the scots, enforcement of Anglicanism. That part did not escalate quickly.

What did escalate quickly was Charles I forcing the Book of Prayer on the Scots, Scots lose it and start a war against Charles I which then leads to the Civil War.

Even after Charles attempted to arrest the Five Members, civil war was not inevitable. Parliament was desperate to come to an agreement with the king. Last-ditch efforts were made to avoid war.

Charles decided to go to war with his own people anyway. Even at the time, people could not believe what was happening, and were stunned at the thought of having to fight against their brothers and fathers and friends. The idea advanced in Whig historiographical circles about a "high road to civil war" has long been debunked.
Original post by Cato the Elder
Even after Charles attempted to arrest the Five Members, civil war was not inevitable. Parliament was desperate to come to an agreement with the king. Last-ditch efforts were made to avoid war.

Charles decided to go to war with his own people anyway. Even at the time, people could not believe what was happening, and were stunned at the thought of having to fight against their brothers and fathers and friends. The idea advanced in Whig historiographical circles about a "high road to civil war" has long been debunked.

No one really expected a civil war, so in a way it did escalate quickly.
Original post by Trinculo
Unmarried Jewish girl gets pregnant, insists she's a virgin, starts major world religion that dominates the planet for nearly 2000 years

I don't think Mary started Christianity. That had more to do with the acts of Jesus and the apostles.
Muhammad gets kicked out of Mecca, returns with an army, conquers the city and marches throughout Arabia spreading Islam and causing the world misery for the next 1400 years.
In 1325, some soldiers from Modena decide to steal a bucket from a well in Bologna. The result? The War of the Bucket.
On 1st December 1936 Bishop Alfred Blunt said this to the Bradford Diocesan Conference

On this occasion the King holds an avowedly representative position. His personal views and opinions are his own, and as an individual he has the right of us all to be the keeper of his own private conscience. But in his public capacity at his Coronation, he stands for the English people's idea of kingship. It has for long centuries been, and I hope still is, an essential part of that idea that the King needs the grace of God for his office. In the Coronation ceremony the nation definitely acknowledges that need. Whatever it may mean, much or little, to the individual who is crowned, to the people as a whole it means their dedication of the English monarchy to the care of God, in whose rule and governance are the hearts of kings.

Thus, in the second place, not only as important as but far more important than the King's personal feelings are to his Coronation, is the feeling with which we the people of England view it. Our part of the ceremony is to fill it with reality, by the sincerity of our belief in the power of God to over-rule for good our national history, and by the sincerity with which we commend the King and nation to his Providence.

Are we going to be merely spectators or listeners-in as at any other interesting function, with a sort of passive curiosity? Or are we in some sense going to consecrate ourselves to the service of God and the welfare of mankind?

First, on the faith, prayer, and self-dedication of the King himself; and on that it would be improper for me to say anything except to commend him to God's grace, which he will so abundantly need, as we all need it - for the King is a man like ourselves - if he is to do his duty faithfully. We hope that he is aware of his need. Some of us wish that he gave more positive signs of such awareness.

It was reported by a journalist from the Bradford Telegraph and Argos newspaper.

9 days later the King and Emperor of the largest Empire the world had ever known, quit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending