The Student Room Group

Applying for primary PGCE with weak A Levels?

Hi, I'm quite new to The Student Room, so sorry if any of this is in the wrong place!

I'm applying to Northumbria, Newcastle and Durham for the primary PGCE course starting in 2017. I was just wondering if anyone knows how much emphasis is put on A Level results?

I got pretty good GCSE grades, including 2 A's in English, 2 A's in Science, and a B in Maths - so I'm meeting their requirements there. And I'm due to get a first in my undergrad degree (in English Literature).

However, my A Levels are pretty terrible. I took them over 3 years, the first year getting UUD in Biology, Maths and Psychology AS. I switched subjects and managed to get BBCD in English Lit, English Lang, General Studies, and Economics.

If anyone knows how this will affect my application, I'd really appreciate any advice!

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Wouldn't have thought so, especially with a first. I was in a similar position with weak A-levels but my experience isn't with primary so I'd wait for someone else to respond.

The only reason A levels matter from the people I know is people who want to teach a subject without having a degree in that subject.
Training providers are interested in you getting a good pass at degree level and your school experience. I doubt they even look at your A levels.
GCSEs aren't as important once you get A-Levels and the same goes for A-Levels once you get your degree.

Come to think of it, I don't have any A-Levels and my application seems to be going fine.
Reply 4
Hi!

I got a D in physics A level and CC for maths and English, I still got accepted (2017 start) right away based on the fact that my degree is related to physics (the subject I am currently teaching). A levels do not matter UNLESS you are teaching mathematics in which case you need a certain grade.

Quick Reply

Latest