Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Terrible US covers of British songs watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It really annoys me how the Americans manage to cover British songs and despite the fact, the covers are totally mediocre and bring nothing new to the song, they still manage to often get more commercial success than the original. There are a few though that have impressed me.

Really bad covers:

No Doubt - It's my Life (originally by Talk Talk)
    The Orgy - Blue Monday (originally by New Order)
    Powerman 5000 - Relax (originally by Frankie Goes To Hollywood)
    Sixpence None The Richer - There She Goes (originally by the La's)
    Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love (originally by Soft Cell)
    Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams (originally by the Eurythmics).
    Marilyn Manson is a real cover whore.

Decent covers:

Rufus Wainwright - Across the Universe (originally by The Beatles): made an acoustic cover and with his Thom Yorke-like voice, he makes the song sound completely different.
    Trespassers William - Vapour Trail (originally by Ride): the original was a shoegazing/britpop classic with a lot of noisy electric guitars but still sounded great. Anna-Lynne's sweet voice and the much more chilled out music, makes the song sound great.

If you have any ideas of other crap/decent covers/ripoffs performed by American artists, please contribute! I'm sure I'll think of some other ones, pretty soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    The original is definately much better. But I don't know why they even bothered recording and releasing this because it sounds incredibly similar (apart from the fact there are female vocals). I thought that the whole point in covers was to make it your own style...well that's what we did in my old band.

Can't think of any others for your list at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, this is from a covers album. Try and get hold of "I Put A Spell On You" - it's actually really interesting and inventive.

The worst cover has to be a UK cover of a US song though; All Saints' version of Under The Bridge.

ReputationRep:
    And of couse Hear'Say copied Bridge Over Troubled Water {pukes}

ReputationRep:
    Johnny Cash did some great covers of British songs - One springs to mind, and Personal Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    wasnt tainted love by thin lizzy or was that whiskey in a jar :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Whiskey In The Jar, it's originally an old Irish folk song that they covered and made into their own style.
    Metallica subsequently covered Thin Lizzy's version of the song.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raagyone)
    Whiskey In The Jar, it's originally an old Irish folk song that they covered and made into their own style.
    both versions rocked though , mansons tainted love wasnt too bad , tht was one of the few songs of the freak i like , well not exactly HIS song , but u know wat i mean

ReputationRep:
    there she goes isn't too bad a cover, a brilliant cover though is travis doing hit me baby one more time i liked it though it reminded me of Darius (bloke off popstars)

ReputationRep:
    You could also include many other songs from their Garage Inc album...

No idea if an American had tried to sing the Great Pretender, although Freddie Mercury's cover I thought was brilliant, then again he's not American.

ReputationRep:
    oh and reel big fish's cover of take on me is really good as opposed to A1 who also covered it and it got to number one despite being awful, the sad strange world of pop.....

ReputationRep:
    Reel Big Fish did a cover of a Specials song which was pretty crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    You could also include many other songs from their Garage Inc album...
    tuesdays gone on tht album was amazing !

ReputationRep:
    You're right with Marilyn Manson, he just ruined those good songs. The originals of Tainted Love and Sweet Dreams happen to be two my favourites too :rolleyes:

I really don't like Jessica Simpson's 'Take My Breath Away', originally by Berlin, grrr in my opinion nothing can better the original.

ReputationRep:
    the only good US cover, imo, is Ryan Adams' version of Wonderwall. I love it!! it always makes me smile :rolleyes: Bit slow for some people though.

ReputationRep:
    It really annoys me how the Americans manage to cover British songs and despite the fact, the covers are totally mediocre and bring nothing new to the song, they still manage to often get more commercial success than the original. There are a few though that have impressed me.

Really bad covers:

The Orgy - Blue Monday (originally by New Order)
    Powerman 5000 - Relax (originally by Frankie Goes To Hollywood)
    Sixpence None The Richer - There She Goes (originally by the La's)
    Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love (originally by Soft Cell)

Decent covers:

Rufus Wainwright - Across the Universe (originally by The Beatles): made an acoustic cover and with his Thom Yorke-like voice, he makes the song sound completely different.
    Trespassers William - Vapour Trail (originally by Ride): the original was a shoegazing/britpop classic with a lot of noisy electric guitars but still sounded great. Anna-Lynne's sweet voice and the much more chilled out music, makes the song sound great.

If you have any ideas of other crap/decent covers/ripoffs performed by American artists, please contribute! I'm sure I'll think of some other ones, pretty soon.
    can we suggest terrible covers to songs? or terrible covers to British songs? or is the American element the deal breaker here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flompy)
    the only good US cover, imo, is Ryan Adams' version of Wonderwall. I love it!! it always makes me smile :rolleyes: Bit slow for some people though.
    Yeah, that one is good. Especially when you see it live.

ReputationRep:
    Reel Big Fish did a cover of a Specials song which was pretty crap.
    Hehe yes Monkey Man

The crappiest cover of a british song has to be Common People by William Shatner

ReputationRep:
    The original is definately much better. But I don't know why they even bothered recording and releasing this because it sounds incredibly similar (apart from the fact there are female vocals). I thought that the whole point in covers was to make it your own style...well that's what we did in my old band.

Can't think of any others for your list at the moment.
    Well it was pretty obvious why they did it: for easy money. They just had to play it and they were sure it would be a huge commercial success because it's a great tune and having Gwen Stefani was much cooler than the bespectacled singer of an old 80s band. Most people who actually went out to buy the greatest hits album because of this song, had probably never heard the Talk Talk version. Just shows how so many music listeners are simply spoonfed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna)
    can we suggest terrible covers to songs? or terrible covers to British songs? or is the American element the deal breaker here?
    Actually the American element isn't that important. It's just that they play on their image much better than any British band and they have all the resources to do so. It's a shame when music is just a question of creating an image. To me, it's a perfect example of how good music can easily be killed: you make a terrible or mediocre cover of a brilliant song but because of your image, you sell 10 times more than the original... A great example that pikaboo gave is Jessica Simpson's cover of 'Take My Breath Away'. She doesn't even have half the voice of the singer from Berlin and musically, it brings nothing new at all to the song.
    There have been covers of American songs by British artists but the fact is, they're quite useless attempts at making easy money and noone in the US ever gets to hear them anyway because they're too crap.

(Original post by flompy)
    the only good US cover, imo, is Ryan Adams' version of Wonderwall. I love it!! it always makes me smile Bit slow for some people though.
    Great choice. Yeah, I really like that song but it's barely a cover. I'm not even sure the original chords were kept. I think he chose the song more for the lyrics than the actual music. Oasis have said they might do an Oasis-style cover of a Ryan Adams song.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.