Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing chemistry, biology and psychology a-levels and I've decided I'd like to do an art foundation degree. I have a rough portfolio (which I will be working on throughout the year), and my main concern is funding. From what I understand, you cannot get a student loan for a foundation art degree, but I do not want to stay living at home. Are there bursaries that I can apply for that could make not living at home possible?
    Furthermore, I want to study game art if I feel I want to follow an art route. What is the best course to allow me to do this, and should I make my portfolio digital-based because of this?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by EyeShutter)
    I'm doing chemistry, biology and psychology a-levels and I've decided I'd like to do an art foundation degree. I have a rough portfolio (which I will be working on throughout the year), and my main concern is funding. From what I understand, you cannot get a student loan for a foundation art degree, but I do not want to stay living at home. Are there bursaries that I can apply for that could make not living at home possible?
    Furthermore, I want to study game art if I feel I want to follow an art route. What is the best course to allow me to do this, and should I make my portfolio digital-based because of this?
    Check what you're applying for.
    An art foundation DIPLOMA is a 1 year FE course (so no fees if you're 19 or under but no living cost loan) that will be designed to help you develop your art and explore different media as well as prepare a portfolio to apply for a creative degree.

A foundation DEGREE is a 2 year HE course that is equivalent to the first 2 years of a 3 year degree. As an HE course you would be charged £6-9k pa in fees and would be able to claim a tuition fee loan and a living cost loan.

For diplomas some universities/colleges offering these courses will have bursaries and scholarships available to help support students on the course. There are also charitable grants that you may be eligible for (depending on your home postcode, where you study and your family background). It's also possible in some cases to claim for income support - but you need to speak to someone to verify your eligibility before committing to anything. Working over the summer and part time evenings/weekends (or finding a way to make money from your artwork) is the other option.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    I think you are able to get an Advanced Learning Loan to cover the 3-5k costs of an Art Foundation degree which is a Level 3 or 4 qualification?

If I were to do an Art Foundation degree while already possessing a full Level 3 qualification like an Access course, are you or is anyone aware of whether I am able to receive an Advanced Learning Loan, which then too gets written off once I graduate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The ALL covers course fees for anyone over 19 for an Art Foundation DIPLOMA (the FE course I mention above). Previous study isn't considered when deciding eligibility as far as I know (I think even student finance/government recognise that people often need to retrain for new careers at multiple points in their life). There isn't any additional support for living costs though (other than those I listed in the post you replied to which are a bit of a pick n mix style of funding)

Despite a lot of efforts from providers and universities the government wont write off ALL debts for a FAD (art foundation diploma) the way they will for an Access course following graduation from a degree. This might change in future but I wouldn't bet on it. The current government don't seem to value the creative sector/employment.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.