Futurechemist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello. I attached a question on hydraulics that I found confusing. Mathematical back up would be appreciated! (Ignore the labels I made)Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1477320137.818459.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  64.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This system has got to conserve energy... which means if you have a greater force on the output cylinder than the input cylinder you've got to have a proportionately lower distance over which that force acts.
W=fs
so
f1 s1 = f2 s2

should also be quite intuitive if you think about the hydraulic liquid - the volume of fluid leaving cylinder 1 is the same as the volume of fluid arriving at cylinder 2 - if the X sectional area of the second cylinder is greater then that volume is going to displace the second piston by less - but with greater force (because the pressure is acting on a greater area of piston)

The question is checking that you understand that you can't get more force AND more displacement at the same time for 'free' - because that would be magic.
jermybrown
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
is a topic in applied science and engineering dealing with the mechanical properties of liquids or fluids. At a very basic level, hydraulics is the liquid version of pneumatics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (188)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (282)
50.09%
I still don't know (93)
16.52%

Watched Threads