Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just found out that I've got an assessment next Tuesday and I'm flying back home this Friday for a week therefore I wont be able to attend my assessment. I've already bought my plane tickets and im wondering if there's a possibility that i could sit my assessment on a different date. I'll have to email my personal tutor. Any advice?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The best person to ask would be them. Some lecturers will make alternative arrangements as long as they agree it's a good reason. Others might not make exceptions and consider your non-attendance as using up your first attempt at the assessment. Contact them ASAP.

Why did you arrange to go home during the semester? If you've a good reason for it (rather than just because you felt like going home) make sure to mention that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinfonietta)
    The best person to ask would be them. Some lecturers will make alternative arrangements as long as they agree it's a good reason. Others might not make exceptions and consider your non-attendance as using up your first attempt at the assessment. Contact them ASAP.

Why did you arrange to go home during the semester? If you've a good reason for it (rather than just because you felt like going home) make sure to mention that.
    I wanted to be back home for Halloween, i moved from Northern Ireland to England and havent went home once yet unlike my flatmates. I didnt want to go home for a whole week but there were no return flights available at an earlier date.

ReputationRep:
    Since there isn't a specific reason that you need to be home i'd say they're going to be a bit less lenient with it. I mean I guess i'd ask and see what they say but you're aware they're going to see it that you want a week off to party?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Ask. they cna only say no. Cant say i'd be that keen on changing for you, but up to them. vereavment maybe. Halloween is more of a push.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they will alter the rules for you. At the end of the day they'd have to create a new assessment (otherwise other students could tell you about this one) and schedule a specific time for you to take it. That's a lot of work to go to. If you have a genuine reason my experience is that lecturers tend to be very lenient and relaxed and will try and help you as much as possible but I doubt you will gain much sympathy if you tell them you decided to take a week off in the middle of term for no reason. You're not entitled to a trip home and plenty of students won't go home except during the official holidays (I never did).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_777)
    I just found out that I've got an assessment next Tuesday and I'm flying back home this Friday for a week therefore I wont be able to attend my assessment. I've already bought my plane tickets and im wondering if there's a possibility that i could sit my assessment on a different date. I'll have to email my personal tutor. Any advice?
    Very unlikely they will budge for you- generally assesments are only moved for one candidate because of extenuating circumstances e.g. illness (with a doctors note), bereavement e.c.t. Its expected that otherwise you are available throughout the semester. If you don't turn up you can likely expect 0 on the assessment.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.