The Student Room Group

2017 Mathematics Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PMC01234
If you want strong mathematical research go to Warwick.

If you want to live in a city with a lot of opportunities go to Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

isn't that only relevant to post graduate?

I mean I am skeptical of me getting the chance to contribute towards modern research been only under graduate level? surely the level of education and the competence I will likely have after graduating from the course is more important.

Are Imperial graduates less competent then Warwick graduates?
Original post by TH3-FL45H
I'm having to decide between Imperial and Warwick for maths. Any thoughts?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I have an offer from warwick, but If I get into imperial then im gonna firm that.
Original post by Lucymariexoxo
Name: Lucy Clayton

AS Results: Maths A, Further Maths B, Business B, Physics C

A2 predicted: Maths A, Further Maths A, Business B

Unis applied to:
Lancaster, Cardiff, Liverpool, Portsmouth and Reading
*Ive received offers from all of my choices.

Fun Fact: Urrm I play netball, ride horses and have 2 jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

same subjects as me , only person I've come across besides me that does maths, F.maths and business , although i regret not picking economics lol as business can get quite boring.
Reply 203
If u like sausage Imperial is for u
Original post by TH3-FL45H
I'm having to decide between Imperial and Warwick for maths. Any thoughts?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Depends on whether you'd rather a campus and quieter environment or a city life. I went for Warwick myself back when I had to decide an insurance, turned down Imperial.
Original post by Luke7456
isn't that only relevant to post graduate?

I mean I am skeptical of me getting the chance to contribute towards modern research been only under graduate level? surely the level of education and the competence I will likely have after graduating from the course is more important.

Are Imperial graduates less competent then Warwick graduates?

By no means, Imperial students level seems even better than Warwick students but the majority of them then work in companies while a great amount of students in Warwick decide to go in further mathematics research.
Name: Emma
A LEVELS: not doing a levels :/ but an international diploma
Universities applied to: Manchester King's Glasgow Edinburgh UCL
Got offers a few days ago from kings and manchester, still waiting for the others...
(edited 7 years ago)
Imperial final year Maths student here because of procrastinating habits, feel free to ask questions about student life/course
hey if anyone doing further maths edexcel D2 module knows of any useful learning tools (youtube channels, websites etc) would be greatly appreciated. i find learning purely from the textbook very hard and i literally only found one youtube channel on D2. examsolutions doesnt go through any D's
Original post by yl95
Imperial final year Maths student here because of procrastinating habits, feel free to ask questions about student life/course

Cool well I have heard from sources and these forums that imperials weakness for maths is they don't give much support if your struggling that lecturers are hard to get hold of outside lecturer time and the help classes they have have lecturers out numbered by students to the extent that it's not easy to get help and some people there are PhD students that don't provide much help or know how to teach.

This was from like 5 years ago or so, so not sure if this was even true to begin with or just disgruntled students

And if it is true whether imperial has improved in teaching standards since and if maths students are still unhappy at imperial or if that has changed now.

How good is the support their and the overal experience?
Cool well I have heard from sources and these forums that imperials weakness for maths is they don't give much support if your struggling that lecturers are hard to get hold of outside lecturer time and the help classes they have have lecturers out numbered by students to the extent that it's not easy to get help and some people there are PhD students that don't provide much help or know how to teach.

This was from like 5 years ago or so, so not sure if this was even true to begin with or just disgruntled students

And if it is true whether imperial has improved in teaching standards since and if maths students are still unhappy at imperial or if that has changed now.

How good is the support their and the overal experience?

I'd say that most of the lecturers are good at teaching; every year there is/are either one or two lecturers who are bad at teaching but you get that at other universities. Differential Equations in Year 2 is a stand-out sucky module; the Department seems to rotate between two *****y lecturers and it's worse because it's a very difficult module in its own. Disgruntled students stem from a range of things including being too lazy, being reluctant to ask for help because of pride or shyness and poor module lecturer. Some GTAs do kind of suck at teaching and it's clear that they're just doing it for the money but others do try to help and are good at it.

Some lecturers are more busy than others because of their own research and but the Department is definitely trying to look for ways to improve feedback, for example, and from this academic year they introduced a bridging tutor to help first years struggling with the jump to university with their modules. In Year 1 and 2 -- and I'm guilty of it -- many students just don't use the resources out there. There are problems classes, office hours and opportunities to ask the lecturer after the lecture or during the lecture...

If you are struggling, no one is going to push you because it's university but you will have regular tutorials in Year 1 and the Liaison Officer or your Personal Tutor could ask you why and how they could help.

It is a stressful course, though, and a small proportion of students do 'sink' each year because Maths is a subject where it is so easy to leave problem sheets/things behind as there's nothing like labs forcing you to go into College. A plus and also a potential minus is that pretty much all the lectures are recorded in first and second year and mostly in third year, too, and are available straight after the lecture (there is a thing called Panopto). It's a plus because it helps to listen to a concept being explained again and you can control the pace at which you watch the lecture but a minus because it's incredibly easy to rely on and hence, not going to lectures because of it(!)

Overall Experience

Imperial is in what I'd say the most lovely location in London, great for sightseeing and just finding things to do in general, and it has a huge range of societies, the largest amount in the UK. I'd say that this year has seen the biggest increase in societies from what I've seen, or at least, exciting ones. There's now a Drone Society, Fashion Society, a FinTech Society...
Social life is not exactly as buzzing as what you'd get in, say, Leeds, but you can't expect to party all the time and have an intense workload.
Oh, and absolutely great for job prospects, too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yl95
I'd say that most of the lecturers are good at teaching; every year there is/are either one or two lecturers who are bad at teaching but you get that at other universities. Differential Equations in Year 2 is a stand-out sucky module; the Department seems to rotate between two *****y lecturers and it's worse because it's a very difficult module in its own. Disgruntled students stem from a range of things including being too lazy, being reluctant to ask for help because of pride or shyness and poor module lecturer. Some GTAs do kind of suck at teaching and it's clear that they're just doing it for the money but others do try to help and are good at it.

Some lecturers are more busy than others because of their own research and but the Department is definitely trying to look for ways to improve feedback, for example, and from this academic year they introduced a bridging tutor to help first years struggling with the jump to university with their modules. In Year 1 and 2 -- and I'm guilty of it -- many students just don't use the resources out there. There are problems classes, office hours and opportunities to ask the lecturer after the lecture or during the lecture...

If you are struggling, no one is going to push you because it's university but you will have regular tutorials in Year 1 and the Liaison Officer or your Personal Tutor could ask you why and how they could help.

It is a stressful course, though, and a small proportion of students do 'sink' each year because Maths is a subject where it is so easy to leave problem sheets/things behind as there's nothing like labs forcing you to go into College. A plus and also a potential minus is that pretty much all the lectures are recorded in first and second year and mostly in third year, too, and are available straight after the lecture (there is a thing called Panopto). It's a plus because it helps to listen to a concept being explained again and you can control the pace at which you watch the lecture but a minus because it's incredibly easy to rely on and hence, not going to lectures because of it(!)

Overall Experience

Imperial is in what I'd say the most lovely location in London, great for sightseeing and just finding things to do in general, and it has a huge range of societies, the largest amount in the UK. I'd say that this year has seen the biggest increase in societies from what I've seen, or at least, exciting ones. There's now a Drone Society, Fashion Society, a FinTech Society...
Social life is not exactly as buzzing as what you'd get in, say, Leeds, but you can't expect to party all the time and have an intense workload.
Oh, and absolutely great for job prospects, too.

okay cool so from what you are saying the support if we struggle is out their if we want to go and pursue it. That sounds good, I guess you get dodgy lecturers at any university so That wont be something specific to Imperial.

I wouldn't ask questions in lecturers because from experience that pisses everyone off. the students who shouldn't be there and just want to get out of the lecture theater as soon as possible and the ones that are determined and want to progress fast with the module. I remember last time answering a question or asking a question during lectures made you stand out to be ostracized. Mind you I didn't go to a decent university last time so the culture may be different. Also I admittedly did not help myself by asking in an accounting lecturer how we would account for baby cows. I thought it was relevant at the time. But I probably wont have a situation in a maths lecture that can provoke the question "how does this relate to baby cows".

Anyway sounds good, the lectures been recorded doesnt bother me I think that is a good thing having more resources is always good, its just how you use it. I wouldn't skip lectures unless exceptional circumstances or if i potentially had coursework which was due in soon. However you don't really get a lot of coursework on a maths degree anyway do you?

I think its good been able to slow down and make notes and it goes with my learning style. I learn math at the moment by watching videos on exam solutions and then I make notes after the video either literally copying it exactly or taking bits out I don't think I need or adding in explanations I think I might need later then I Laminate it and put it in a big folder allowing me to quickly skip through and refresh entire modules in a few hours.

I could do this with Imperial Lectures etc after the lectures, or is that a bad study method for your level?
okay cool so from what you are saying the support if we struggle is out their if we want to go and pursue it. That sounds good, I guess you get dodgy lecturers at any university so That wont be something specific to Imperial.

I wouldn't ask questions in lecturers because from experience that pisses everyone off. the students who shouldn't be there and just want to get out of the lecture theater as soon as possible and the ones that are determined and want to progress fast with the module. I remember last time answering a question or asking a question during lectures made you stand out to be ostracized. Mind you I didn't go to a decent university last time so the culture may be different. Also I admittedly did not help myself by asking in an accounting lecturer how we would account for baby cows. I thought it was relevant at the time. But I probably wont have a situation in a maths lecture that can provoke the question "how does this relate to baby cows".

Anyway sounds good, the lectures been recorded doesnt bother me I think that is a good thing having more resources is always good, its just how you use it. I wouldn't skip lectures unless exceptional circumstances or if i potentially had coursework which was due in soon. However you don't really get a lot of coursework on a maths degree anyway do you?

I think its good been able to slow down and make notes and it goes with my learning style. I learn math at the moment by watching videos on exam solutions and then I make notes after the video either literally copying it exactly or taking bits out I don't think I need or adding in explanations I think I might need later then I Laminate it and put it in a big folder allowing me to quickly skip through and refresh entire modules in a few hours.

I could do this with Imperial Lectures etc after the lectures, or is that a bad study method for your level?

Honestly, as long as the questions aren't' stupid and aren't too frequent, it's fine. Many students will probably be stuck on the same thing.

In the first year of Imperial, you do have a Computing module which has coursework but yes, in general, coursework should be not much. In second year you will have to hand in coursework for modules (10% of each module) but it is generally manageable unless there are clashes. In third year if you pick full coursework modules, it can be hard work, though.

I think it's good that you're being thorough but at university level, I'd say that a lot more time is spent on actually trying to understand the lecture notes and doing proofs yourself than looking at exam technique. It's not about doing X as quickly as possible. The key is to do problem sheets in time and to not look at the solutions while you're doing it for a starter.
Original post by Toasticide
hey if anyone doing further maths edexcel D2 module knows of any useful learning tools (youtube channels, websites etc) would be greatly appreciated. i find learning purely from the textbook very hard and i literally only found one youtube channel on D2. examsolutions doesnt go through any D's

Hi, I'm doing further maths as well.
Tbh I didn't pick D2 just because I couldn't find enough resources or any videos.
But if you're looking for D1 videos then go to Hygartymaths 😊
Original post by raghad.
Hi, I'm doing further maths as well.
Tbh I didn't pick D2 just because I couldn't find enough resources or any videos.
But if you're looking for D1 videos then go to Hygartymaths 😊

ah you looked at hegarty too, yeah i was so happy when i saw his videos "oh my god someone actually does this" then was sad wen it turns out he didnt do D2 aswell :frown:
got the offer holder day for maths at warwick tommorow and i havent been to any open days for the uni but have done some research online . strongly debating whether or not to go as its going to cost over £100 and 8 hours total travelling time. is it wise if i dont go or should i go . lol very last minute
Reply 216
Original post by dididid
got the offer holder day for maths at warwick tommorow and i havent been to any open days for the uni but have done some research online . strongly debating whether or not to go as its going to cost over £100 and 8 hours total travelling time. is it wise if i dont go or should i go . lol very last minute

Late reply but did you end up going in the end?
Original post by xs4
Late reply but did you end up going in the end?

no i didnt:smile:
Has anyone applied/heard back from UCL Mathematics or Edinburgh? I know Edinburgh takes a long time to reply since I'm from the EU, but probably expecting a rejection from UCL.
Original post by peaceout1998
Has anyone applied/heard back from UCL Mathematics or Edinburgh? I know Edinburgh takes a long time to reply since I'm from the EU, but probably expecting a rejection from UCL.

FWIW, I got my UCL offer very late in the application cycle, I was about to withdraw and firm Cambridge because they were taking so long but it finally came.

Quick Reply

Latest