Turn on thread page Beta

I dropped my phone down the toilet watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, i dropped my iphone 6 down the toilet on Friday. I straight away wiped it clean, switched it off, wiped it with antibacterial wipes and put it in a bag of rice.

Over the past few days, ive been taking it out of the bag turning it on and using it and its been okay. the front and back camera were slightly blurry cos there was condensation/water in it and the screen was flickering. after using it for like 1hour a day i would put it back in the bag full of rice.

Yesterday, i took my phone out and the condensation in my cameras were gone, so they were fine but the screen was flickering more. and then today, the screen is completely black but the phones working. i get notifications for texts and things and i can unlock and lock the phone using my fingerprint but the screens black.

After lots of research, im assuming that the lcd is either dislodged or damaged. if its damaged apparently you need a lot of money to get it fixed.

My question is, has this happened to anyone else? if so, how much did it cost to get fixed and are the apple people at the genius bar reliable? would they con you to get money out of you or convince you to buy a new phone?
    i dont want to be taken advantage of. also do i need a lot of money to get this fixed and do you feel its betted to chuck the phone and get a new one? i rlly dont want to do that cos ive only had my phone for 1yr and a half and i spent nearly £600 on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishaniss)
    Basically, i dropped my iphone 6 down the toilet on Friday. I straight away wiped it clean, switched it off, wiped it with antibacterial wipes and put it in a bag of rice.

Over the past few days, ive been taking it out of the bag turning it on and using it and its been okay. the front and back camera were slightly blurry cos there was condensation/water in it and the screen was flickering. after using it for like 1hour a day i would put it back in the bag full of rice.

Yesterday, i took my phone out and the condensation in my cameras were gone, so they were fine but the screen was flickering more. and then today, the screen is completely black but the phones working. i get notifications for texts and things and i can unlock and lock the phone using my fingerprint but the screens black.

After lots of research, im assuming that the lcd is either dislodged or damaged. if its damaged apparently you need a lot of money to get it fixed.

My question is, has this happened to anyone else? if so, how much did it cost to get fixed and are the apple people at the genius bar reliable? would they con you to get money out of you or convince you to buy a new phone?
    i dont want to be taken advantage of. also do i need a lot of money to get this fixed and do you feel its betted to chuck the phone and get a new one? i rlly dont want to do that cos ive only had my phone for 1yr and a half and i spent nearly £600 on it
    First off all the anti-bacterial wipes were a bad idea, you should've just stuck it straight in the rice.

"Over the past few days, ive been taking it out of the bag turning it on and using it and its been okay. the front and back camera were slightly blurry cos there was condensation/water in it and the screen was flickering. after using it for like 1hour a day i would put it back in the bag full of rice."

You're meant to leave it in the rice for 48 hours or more to let it fully dry out, as you've been taking it out and using it that's really bad for the inner circuits as they haven't had chance to properly dry out yet...because you've been using it it will have made the situation worse.
    As you've had it a year it'll be out of warranty (Unless you got the extended warranty from apple) then apple will either charge you for the repairs but it's probably cheaper to buy yourself a new phone

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.