Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well I have had an argument with two particular posters (you know who you are) on several threads so I thought I should mention it in one thread and get the whole discussion out.
    quite commonly it is mentioned about the one guy that got a First class honors in Quantum Psychics from Oxbridge had a parade in his honor for best student ever, and ended up doing work experience at McDonald for free hoping to one day get on their apprenticeship scheme because he couldn't get anything else.
    vs someone who scrapped a third class honors in Disney Gender studies at London Metropolitan who got a graduate position starting on £250,000 and is on a fast track program straight to CEO. OK I exaggerate the anecdotal examples thrown out slightly just slightly for added comic affect.
    The truth is though I know there is a possibility I could end up being the first one. I know certain individuals would love to see that being the case. However I choose to fight rather than to lie down and accept a fate I don't want. See I don't like playing the victim card but I also am aware of reality.
    I just choose to deal with things differently than others. I am well aware that Autistic individuals have a harder time finding work, I often have people assume the worst out of me and it doesn't matter on my talent or ability I am getting nowhere.
    I guess when it is things like sales or dealing with clients it is not unjustified because let’s face it I suck with people. however some individuals just assume I am stupid anyway, and after getting nowhere with a 2:1 from a sub standard university in a subject that I don't particularly like I decided to try and change things by getting into the best university I can.
    The thing is I am well aware people interpret reality to their own preconceptions. EG if you assume I am a deadbeat ******* and I am late for something you will likely assume I was just lazy disorganized or disrespectful etc. However if you view me as an upstanding individual you would just assume traffic etc.
    So for example If I graduated from Say LoughBorough university an employer might take a negative slant on it like who are Loughborough university. However if a guy that has got the cool thing going or a hot babe graduates from London Metropolitan wow They graduated from London Met. LONDON MET!!!!!
    I guess I want to make my self stand out as much as possible so go to the best university possible.
    My choices in order are
    Cambridge
    Imperial
    Warwick
    Bristol
    Bath
    Durham
    UCL
    Nottingham
    Southampton
    Cardiff
    Now certain people think Bristol is **** both generally and for maths so that I should not choose them as a university at all. So is UCL apparently. However Hull and Sheffield Hallam are supposed to be very prestigious universities.
    I was wondering what other people think. I mean it seems to be obvious to pick Cambridge over other universities
    However their really seems to be according to some a big decision on whether one should go to Imperial/Warwick/Bristol or instead if one should go for the better universities of Hull/Sheffield hallam/London City.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly are you asking?

ReputationRep:
    Why would an employer take a negative view on Loughborough, I'm 100% sure that they will know who they are.

ReputationRep:
    I hope wherever you decide to go, you choose to go there because you genuinely want to and not because you're worried about what others will think of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    Well I have had an argument with two particular posters (you know who you are) on several threads so I thought I should mention it in one thread and get the whole discussion out.
    quite commonly it is mentioned about the one guy that got a First class honors in Quantum Psychics from Oxbridge had a parade in his honor for best student ever, and ended up doing work experience at McDonald for free hoping to one day get on their apprenticeship scheme because he couldn't get anything else.
    vs someone who scrapped a third class honors in Disney Gender studies at London Metropolitan who got a graduate position starting on £250,000 and is on a fast track program straight to CEO. OK I exaggerate the anecdotal examples thrown out slightly just slightly for added comic affect.
    The truth is though I know there is a possibility I could end up being the first one. I know certain individuals would love to see that being the case. However I choose to fight rather than to lie down and accept a fate I don't want. See I don't like playing the victim card but I also am aware of reality.
    I just choose to deal with things differently than others. I am well aware that Autistic individuals have a harder time finding work, I often have people assume the worst out of me and it doesn't matter on my talent or ability I am getting nowhere.
    I guess when it is things like sales or dealing with clients it is not unjustified because let’s face it I suck with people. however some individuals just assume I am stupid anyway, and after getting nowhere with a 2:1 from a sub standard university in a subject that I don't particularly like I decided to try and change things by getting into the best university I can.
    The thing is I am well aware people interpret reality to their own preconceptions. EG if you assume I am a deadbeat ******* and I am late for something you will likely assume I was just lazy disorganized or disrespectful etc. However if you view me as an upstanding individual you would just assume traffic etc.
    So for example If I graduated from Say LoughBorough university an employer might take a negative slant on it like who are Loughborough university. However if a guy that has got the cool thing going or a hot babe graduates from London Metropolitan wow They graduated from London Met. LONDON MET!!!!!
    I guess I want to make my self stand out as much as possible so go to the best university possible.
    My choices in order are
    Cambridge
    Imperial
    Warwick
    Bristol
    Bath
    Durham
    UCL
    Nottingham
    Southampton
    Cardiff
    Now certain people think Bristol is **** both generally and for maths so that I should not choose them as a university at all. So is UCL apparently. However Hull and Sheffield Hallam are supposed to be very prestigious universities.
    I was wondering what other people think. I mean it seems to be obvious to pick Cambridge over other universities
    However their really seems to be according to some a big decision on whether one should go to Imperial/Warwick/Bristol or instead if one should go for the better universities of Hull/Sheffield hallam/London City.
    99% of this post didn't make any sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't use tsr when high
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    You've missed the Oxbridge deadline.

ReputationRep:
    Dont just pick a University entirely on the name of it. places like oxbridge and warwick are Very elitist and expect you to have that type of attitude. My friend got 5A* at A-Level and the highest medical test score in the country and still didn't apply for either of these because of their attitude to students. Its not just down to the name, but that graduate prospects for the University and the way they are and what the students are like also that counts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You've missed the Oxbridge deadline.
    I am applying next year. So no I haven't I never intended to apply this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samonia)
    Dont just pick a University entirely on the name of it. places like oxbridge and warwick are Very elitist and expect you to have that type of attitude. My friend got 5A* at A-Level and the highest medical test score in the country and still didn't apply for either of these because of their attitude to students. Its not just down to the name, but that graduate prospects for the University and the way they are and what the students are like also that counts.
    great well i am sure a maths degree from Hull is just as likely to get me immigration out of the country before its to late. Oh wait no it wont decent countries have tough immigration standards. Oxbridge/Imperial will, I might possibly escape with a first from Warwick but aside from that its not a good idea to gamble with weaker universities.

ReputationRep:
    ummm...ok? This is a rant, not a request for help, advice or comment.

ReputationRep:
    Give me back the 3 minutes of my life I wasted reading that.

ReputationRep:
    great well i am sure a maths degree from Hull is just as likely to get me immigration out of the country before its to late. Oh wait no it wont decent countries have tough immigration standards. Oxbridge/Imperial will, I might possibly escape with a first from Warwick but aside from that its not a good idea to gamble with weaker universities.
    If your aim is to emigrate ASAP going back to uni in this country is not the best idea. Have a look at unis in whatever country you want to live in and apply there, as many countries have preferential immigration rules for people who have just finished a degree in that country.

ReputationRep:
    My choices in order are
    Cambridge
    Imperial
    Warwick
    Bristol
    Bath
    Durham
    UCL
    Nottingham
    Southampton
    Cardiff
    So the question is should you go to a good uni and get a decent grade or just enjoy yourself for three years because employers don't care anyway???

Tbh, where exactly you do your degree isn't the be all and end all as some people make it out on TSR - a 2:1 from any relatively decent uni (read: probably not London Met...) will put you in a decent position. However, employers actually care a LOT more about your work experience and extracurriculars - so the story of someone at a bad uni with terrible grades but a great job was probably someone who spent significant amounts of time during the year volunteering/ working (thus perhaps neglecting their studies a little) and their summer doing internships, possibly with lots of skills outside of their degree subject (e.g. languages, programming, etc.). However, bear in mind that graduate jobs within the UK often (not always, but it is the case for a lot of the bigger employers) ask for a minimum of a 2:1 grade as a way of filtering out applicants, and partying isn't going to help you with job applications. Outside of the UK because they may not recognise the UK grading system quite as much there may be more emphasis placed on how prestigious the uni you went to was, but tbh it really depends.

So, go to a uni which offers a course that sounds interesting to you and is probably one asking for around your grade profile, but don't just focus on your studies (as long as you are on target for a 2:1). Get involved in extracurriculars, volunteer in community programs, be on a society committee/ the student union, organise events and conferences on topics you are interested in, get a part time job, spend your summer interning or getting work experience/ international experience, etc.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of international prestige, it goes Oxbridge >> Imperial = UCL = LSE > Edinburgh = KCL > Manchester > Warwick pretty much, but it varies depending on the industry/sector

ReputationRep:
    https://youtu.be/UBfb77G47hU?t=13s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    In terms of international prestige, it goes Oxbridge >> Imperial = UCL = LSE > Edinburgh = KCL > Manchester > Warwick pretty much, but it varies depending on the industry/sector
    Yeah I get that but see in terms of maths my subject Uni rankings would be Oxbridge>>Imperial> Warwick> Edinburgh> UCL> Machester etc

However would foreign countries see it the same way? I mean Oxbridge>Imperial applies for maths anyway and is clearly going to internationally. However would Warwick>Edinburgh and UCL would other countries take note of that? for maths internationally? would they know who Warwick is? etc?

ReputationRep:
    However would foreign countries see it the same way? I mean Oxbridge>Imperial applies for maths anyway and is clearly going to internationally. However would Warwick>Edinburgh and UCL would other countries take note of that? for maths internationally? would they know who Warwick is? etc?
    Well, any idea what you want to do with your Maths degree? They won't really know that certain universities excel in certain subjects (except if you wanna go into research, in which case they will know) but obviously certain universities will be well known in certain sectors, e.g. I assume Warwick would be well known in the finance industry but not very well known in the tech industry, whereas Edinburgh would be well known in both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Well, any idea what you want to do with your Maths degree? They won't really know that certain universities excel in certain subjects (except if you wanna go into research, in which case they will know) but obviously certain universities will be well known in certain sectors, e.g. I assume Warwick would be well known in the finance industry but not very well known in the tech industry, whereas Edinburgh would be well known in both.
    that is a good point. Well I think as things currently stand I would be looking at either going into academia as a career in which case yeah I already knew they would know about the universities, Or most likely statistics. Statistics roles is where I most likely see myself ending up. Either a quant role an actuary or somewhere else in statistics. However I actually find Mechanics interesting so maybe I surprise myself and end up going into engineering or something like that.

Whatever I do though i want maths to be a significant part of it.

ReputationRep:
    that is a good point. Well I think as things currently stand I would be looking at either going into academia as a career in which case yeah I already knew they would know about the universities, Or most likely statistics. Statistics roles is where I most likely see myself ending up. Either a quant role an actuary or somewhere else in statistics. However I actually find Mechanics interesting so maybe I surprise myself and end up going into engineering or something like that.

Whatever I do though i want maths to be a significant part of it.
    Alright, well in that case any of the universities I listed will be perfectly fine. Apart from Oxbridge, there won't really be that big of a difference between the other universities. They're all top UK universities with good international reputations.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.