The Student Room Group

Which university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Luke7456
Yeah I get that but see in terms of maths my subject Uni rankings would be Oxbridge>>Imperial> Warwick> Edinburgh> UCL> Machester etc

However would foreign countries see it the same way? I mean Oxbridge>Imperial applies for maths anyway and is clearly going to internationally. However would Warwick>Edinburgh and UCL would other countries take note of that? for maths internationally? would they know who Warwick is? etc?

It probably depends which country, and which circle in society.

I'm from California, USA, who has spent 4 years at the University of Chicago studying BA in Economics, and I have heard of Warwick way back early college days and I have much respect for it.
Chicago's economics is a highly-rated and very well-respected program in the US. Most people outside of the US who do not care about economics program are mostly not aware that Chicago is one of the best schools for economics in America until they start looking for schools and digging up facts about the subject field when they start applying for grad or postgrad level economics education.

If you can get into Cambridge to do maths, go for it. Otherwise, Warwick would also be fantastic, and I would venture many people who are seriously into maths/econ/business-related programs would regard Warwick a top-flight school. You can see the same companies and firms that recruit at Imperial are also the same companies and firms that recruit at Warwick.
Warwick may not have a household name like Oxbridge, but it certainly is quite respected for those who care.

I'm now graduating from Berkeley Haas. Two guys from my cohort have graduated from Warwick, though none of them had maths as his undergraduate degree. But both guys have a pretty solid background. One from Bain, and the other, an engineer, had Ineos.

Of the 246 MBA in my graduating class, 7 are Brits. Surprisingly, none of them went to London. Of the seven, 2 are from Warwick, 2 from Oxford, 1 Cambridge, 1 Manchester and 1 Edinburgh.
Four other (International) students presented qualifications having undergrad from a UK university.
1 Manchester - Swiss national
1 Southampton- Indian national
1 Nottingham - Indian national
1 Bristol - Hong Kong national
Original post by Luke7456
great well i am sure a maths degree from Hull is just as likely to get me immigration out of the country before its to late. Oh wait no it wont decent countries have tough immigration standards. Oxbridge/Imperial will, I might possibly escape with a first from Warwick but aside from that its not a good idea to gamble with weaker universities.

If you really want to leave the UK anyway it might be worth doing your degree wherever it is you want to go as AlexS101 said. If you really want a name rather that a Uni that is right for you then you could just work through International league tables as well as UK ones and just apply for the ones at the top.
Reply 22
Original post by Samonia
If you really want to leave the UK anyway it might be worth doing your degree wherever it is you want to go as AlexS101 said. If you really want a name rather that a Uni that is right for you then you could just work through International league tables as well as UK ones and just apply for the ones at the top.

I want the option to leave the UK if things get out of hand I am not committed to leaving the UK. I also want to be as competent as possible when I graduate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending