Turn on thread page Beta

Prenatal testing - Women (and men), would you have it done or not? watch

ReputationRep:
    Prenatal testing is testing for certain diseases such as Downs syndrome when the mother is still pregnant. Obviously this brings up a lot of ethical issues. It might increase abortions/less Downs babies (?) etc.Women, would you have it done? Would you not? Why?

And say you did have it done and your child had Downs (or another disease/condition), would you keep it or abort it and why? - This is my main question.

My friend and I were having a chat about this today so I just thought we could discuss this/throw some ideas around.

P.S. Sounds like I'm asking if men would have it done in my title.. I just mean men's opinions are welcome too :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Slippery slope/
    Downs> Spinabifida> Cleft pallet> Female>Ginger. Not sure if they can tell a Ginger gene but you get my drift.
    The female thing is a big problen in some cultures.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be against prenatal testing. Yes, it could potentially reduce the risk of giving birth to a child with a hereditary condition. However, I am against the idea of abortion because as much as you may be preventing a child from experiencing so much suffering, you'd be withdrawing from them the right to live life. More importantly, there is the issue of false positives and negatives, as well as risks of infection/miscarriage. As significantly low as the chances of these may be, I feel it'd be most suitable and preferable to avoid such situations as much as possible.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for it, and would have the child aborted. They're a drain on you, society, and wont have a great life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarthRoar)
    I'm all for it, and would have the child aborted. They're a drain on you, society, and wont have a great life.
    My sixth form accidentally got a pro life talk in a bit go, had to do an assembly afterwards to apologise for triggering everybody it was hilarious.

But back to the original point, a statistic they threw out was that 99% of folk with downs syndrome claim they are happy with their lives so the "won't have a good quality of life" argument becomes a little iffy at that point.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3740159/

(Original post by caravaggio2)
    Slippery slope/
    Downs> Spinabifida> Cleft pallet> Female>Ginger. Not sure if they can tell a Ginger gene but you get my drift.
    The female thing is a big problen in some cultures.
    According to a quick google search, gingerness is caused by one gene called the melanocortin 1 receptor, so I'm guessing if you reaallly wanted to there would probably be some way of digging that up before birth.

but that's ****ing rude

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.