Turn on thread page Beta

Speech issue, can someone please help watch

ReputationRep:
    Well to keep it short, my friend at college day my voice is very monotone and lacks emotion. And I sound very boring.
    I've always been kinda socially awkward, shy and the quiet kid in class but not that I'm in A2 im trying to work on it. I have become much more social and outgoing but the fact that my voice is monotone is a problem.
    I've never liked the sound of my voice, It was always very high pitched back in secondary and everyone would always mention that and it made me kinda self conscious about my voice, and also the fact that I have trouble pronouncing the letter r but I hope is gotten much better but is still there and my friends always made fun of me because of that and I remember I avoid words with the letter request in it because of that.

So I began to control the way I talk but now apparently I talk without much emotion and find my voice boring and the worst part is I don't pick up on it and apparently in doing it subconscious.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Thanks in advance 😊
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Cursed Hedgehog)
    Well to keep it short, my friend at college day my voice is very monotone and lacks emotion. And I sound very boring.
    I've always been kinda socially awkward, shy and the quiet kid in class but not that I'm in A2 im trying to work on it. I have become much more social and outgoing but the fact that my voice is monotone is a problem.
    I've never liked the sound of my voice, It was always very high pitched back in secondary and everyone would always mention that and it made me kinda self conscious about my voice, and also the fact that I have trouble pronouncing the letter r but I hope is gotten much better but is still there and my friends always made fun of me because of that and I remember I avoid words with the letter request in it because of that.

So I began to control the way I talk but now apparently I talk without much emotion and find my voice boring and the worst part is I don't pick up on it and apparently in doing it subconscious.

Thanks in advance 😊
    If you have a speech impediment, this is something you can see a speech therapist for. Unfortunately, I don't think tone of voice comes under that. Honestly, I'd just try not to concentrate on it. The more you obsess over it, the worse it will seem. Lots of people sound very monotonous, but it's not a bad thing. It can often sound very soothing. One thing that I found changed the way I speak though was drama classes. I was using my voice in different ways more often, and that opened a door in a way

ReputationRep:
    the more u worry about how you sound and your voice, the more bad it'll sound, ignore it and focus on trying to get ur point across, you can't risk messing up over ur voice,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    If you have a speech impediment, this is something you can see a speech therapist for. Unfortunately, I don't think tone of voice comes under that. Honestly, I'd just try not to concentrate on it. The more you obsess over it, the worse it will seem. Lots of people sound very monotonous, but it's not a bad thing. It can often sound very soothing. One thing that I found changed the way I speak though was drama classes. I was using my voice in different ways more often, and that opened a door in a way
    Thanks the reply I really appreciate it 😊
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers

Thanks in advance 😊
    It sounds like a lot of your speech issues come from insecurities rather than any physical issue talking so the best route to take may be to understand and try to minimise those feelings. Therapy can be a really good way to do this, but you can do it without aswell. I suggest you look into ways to overcome your insecurities by googling and trying to think about what may be causing them. CBT teaches a good way to look at how you think and feel so looking into what that's all about may help you.
    You also mentioned that you do have some difficulties with certian letters in particular. For this speech therapy may benefit you. It really depends on to what extent you have issues and how much it bothers you. I wouldn't want you becoming more self concious about how you speak by trying to fix some little bit.

I think you might find that as you become more confident and willing to insert yourself into social situations your voice will show it. People who are socially insecure or anxious tend to sound more distanced and boring because they are actively avoiding letting out any emotion or expression weather deliberately or not. I actually found that my voice has a lot more perk to it when I am passionate about something and that when i'm in more comfortable situations it is somewhat noticable in my voice.

Edit: Somebody above mentioned drama and I think that's a great idea. Drama therapy is often used to help people build confidence because it is so good at getting people to express themselves. It could help you with your confidence and also to understand a bit more how different voices work. There are probably some amature drama clubs near you that you could try if you are interested. Some colleges will have them too but I guess you may feel a bit awkward around classmates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariam687)
    the more u worry about how you sound and your voice, the more bad it'll sound, ignore it and focus on trying to get ur point across, you can't risk messing up over ur voice,
    Thanks for the advice 😊

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice 😊

np, anytime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    It sounds like a lot of your speech issues come from insecurities rather than any physical issue talking so the best route to take may be to understand and try to minimise those feelings. Therapy can be a really good way to do this, but you can do it without aswell. I suggest you look into ways to overcome your insecurities by googling and trying to think about what may be causing them. CBT teaches a good way to look at how you think and feel so looking into what that's all about may help you.
    You also mentioned that you do have some difficulties with certian letters in particular. For this speech therapy may benefit you. It really depends on to what extent you have issues and how much it bothers you. I wouldn't want you becoming more self concious about how you speak by trying to fix some little bit.

I think you might find that as you become more confident and willing to insert yourself into social situations your voice will show it. People who are socially insecure or anxious tend to sound more distanced and boring because they are actively avoiding letting out any emotion or expression weather deliberately or not. I actually found that my voice has a lot more perk to it when I am passionate about something and that when i'm in more comfortable situations it is somewhat noticable in my voice.
    Wow thanks your post was incredible, you wrote so much to help. When I submitted this I didn't believe so many people would have helped me. You guys are awsome 😅

Thanks, I'll try to open up more.

Thanks again for your response 😄

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks your post was incredible, you wrote so much to help. When I submitted this I didn't believe so many people would have helped me. You guys are awsome 😅

Thanks, I'll try to open up more.

Thanks again for your response 😄
    Hi Cursed Hedgehog,

How is it going since your post, did you try some of the advice, did it help...?

I had a speech problem too, kind of the same as yours, and we found help. If you want that I share my experience (it helped with my grades as well).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.