Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am applying to go to university in 2017 but am a bit worried about my maintenance loan.

I am 23 and live with my boyfriend, and have done for about a year and a half now. Before that we were living with his family. I also only earn around £6,500 a year as we split the bills.

I need to get the full (or close to) loan in order to be able to live and travel but i am worried that SF will insist on taking in my parents income even though i do not live with them and i wont be able to afford to go.

Im not sure of their income exactly but i know they sure as hell cant lend me money!

Any advice/tips/help would be much appreciated
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Are you still in contact with your parents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Are you still in contact with your parents
    i am, but havent lived with them for a long time. Come from a family of 7 and know they wont be able to afford to help with money :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixpix101)
    Hi,

I am applying to go to university in 2017 but am a bit worried about my maintenance loan.

I am 23 and live with my boyfriend, and have done for about a year and a half now. Before that we were living with his family. I also only earn around £6,500 a year as we split the bills.

I need to get the full (or close to) loan in order to be able to live and travel but i am worried that SF will insist on taking in my parents income even though i do not live with them and i wont be able to afford to go.

Im not sure of their income exactly but i know they sure as hell cant lend me money!

Any advice/tips/help would be much appreciated
    Have you been supporting yourself financially for the past three years? Or just last 18 months?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PumpkinPox)
    Have you been supporting yourself financially for the past three years? Or just last 18 months?
    I mean when we lived with my partners family it was renting a room essentially but i dont know how student finance would see that. Also as i earn less than £7,500 a year i dont think id qualify

ReputationRep:
    I mean when we lived with my partners family it was renting a room essentially but i dont know how student finance would see that. Also as i earn less than £7,500 a year i dont think id qualify
    In order to apply apply as an independent student based self-support.

You need to show 3 years financial self-support, it won't work with just 18 month self support. But if you've been doing this for 18 month only... then there is no point. As SFE will not accept anything less than 3 years. And £7,500 is pretty low :L.

ReputationRep:
    How much do you parent's earn per year? Do they work/are they on benefits?

ReputationRep:
    My dad works and is on £33,000 a year and my mum is a stay at home mum. Do you think the fact that I don't live at home will impact it at all?

I've done so much research the last few weeks my head is spinning but it seems like everywhere I look I get different answers. I really wish i'd just sorted this straight out of school, especially since i'd have been done by now! Haha

ReputationRep:
    My dad works and is on £33,000 a year and my mum is a stay at home mum. Do you think the fact that I don't live at home will impact it at all?

I've done so much research the last few weeks my head is spinning but it seems like everywhere I look I get different answers. I really wish i'd just sorted this straight out of school, especially since i'd have been done by now! Haha
    According to the SF calculator, https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator, based on not living with parents, studying full-time outside London, a household income of £33,000 will entitle you to a £7258 Maintenance Loan. That's more than you earn now.

Many students find that their loans don't cover all of their living costs - they aren"t intended to - and have to take on part-time work when parents can't help. It's not impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    According to the SF calculator, https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator, based on not living with parents, studying full-time outside London, a household income of £33,000 will entitle you to a £7258 Maintenance Loan. That's more than you earn now.

Many students find that their loans don't cover all of their living costs - they aren"t intended to - and have to take on part-time work when parents can't help. It's not impossible.
    Thats brilliant, thank you! As i share a 1 be flat i just needed enough to pay for my half of the rent/bills/council tax etc. As well as travel and other costs. Should i get that much in theory i should be fine! thats a weight off my shoulders!

I will have to quit my current job due to the hours but once i get myself settled i have no problem with getting a part time job on the side.

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    As a full time student, you'd be exempt from council tax. Your uni can give you a certificate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    As a full time student, you'd be exempt from council tax. Your uni can give you a certificate.
    If sharing a property wth a non-student there will be a reduction rather than no Council Tax at all.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.