Turn on thread page Beta

Dropping out to change uni - What to do with the free time? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've started studying at a university in the US just this semester and I think I want to drop out. I'm really unhappy and feel like this was the wrong decision. I have decided to get through the semester (until xmas) and then depending on how unhappy I feel either come back to try another semester, or stay at home in the UK and attend a UK university in 2017.

My question is - If I decide to stay at home, what could I do with that time? I'm worried that it'd be hard to find a job straight after xmas, and I don't really want to travel or anything. Do you guys have any ideas?

Was the course related to the career you wanted?

You could volunteer, at a animal shelter or something and perhaps take shorter courses. Doing this could help you figure out what you want to do

ReputationRep:
    Lift weights, swim, read books, cook your own food, and sleep 8 or 9 hours a night. Sleep early.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest volunteering around the subject you want to do, and spend your time building up relevant work experience. Maybe try reading more around the subject as well. If you aren't sure what you want to do you can try applying for short courses at a college or something as has already been suggested as it may help you decide what you want to do, and you'll be making new skills while also having fun. I'm not sure what else you could do though if you're looking for something a bit more out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchbunchh)
    So I've started studying at a university in the US just this semester and I think I want to drop out. I'm really unhappy and feel like this was the wrong decision. I have decided to get through the semester (until xmas) and then depending on how unhappy I feel either come back to try another semester, or stay at home in the UK and attend a UK university in 2017.

My question is - If I decide to stay at home, what could I do with that time? I'm worried that it'd be hard to find a job straight after xmas, and I don't really want to travel or anything. Do you guys have any ideas?
    If you couldn't get a paid job then consider volunteering or just general work experience.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    job for money
    relevant experience
    gf/bf
    just enjoy yourself
    acquire additional skills
    Research which uni you wish to go to.
    Gym

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.