The Student Room Group

Dropping out to change uni - What to do with the free time?

So I've started studying at a university in the US just this semester and I think I want to drop out. I'm really unhappy and feel like this was the wrong decision. I have decided to get through the semester (until xmas) and then depending on how unhappy I feel either come back to try another semester, or stay at home in the UK and attend a UK university in 2017.

My question is - If I decide to stay at home, what could I do with that time? I'm worried that it'd be hard to find a job straight after xmas, and I don't really want to travel or anything. Do you guys have any ideas?
Was the course related to the career you wanted?

You could volunteer, at a animal shelter or something and perhaps take shorter courses. Doing this could help you figure out what you want to do
Lift weights, swim, read books, cook your own food, and sleep 8 or 9 hours a night. Sleep early.
I would suggest volunteering around the subject you want to do, and spend your time building up relevant work experience. Maybe try reading more around the subject as well. If you aren't sure what you want to do you can try applying for short courses at a college or something as has already been suggested as it may help you decide what you want to do, and you'll be making new skills while also having fun. I'm not sure what else you could do though if you're looking for something a bit more out there.
Original post by munchbunchh
So I've started studying at a university in the US just this semester and I think I want to drop out. I'm really unhappy and feel like this was the wrong decision. I have decided to get through the semester (until xmas) and then depending on how unhappy I feel either come back to try another semester, or stay at home in the UK and attend a UK university in 2017.

My question is - If I decide to stay at home, what could I do with that time? I'm worried that it'd be hard to find a job straight after xmas, and I don't really want to travel or anything. Do you guys have any ideas?

If you couldn't get a paid job then consider volunteering or just general work experience.
job for money
relevant experience
gf/bf
just enjoy yourself
acquire additional skills
Research which uni you wish to go to.
Gym

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending