Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Techniques for best coverage of the unit content and plz include any resources you have

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me2*)
    Techniques for best coverage of the unit content and plz include any resources you have

Thanks
    Which exam board you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me2*)

Thanks
    Learn everything that needs be memorised, and use past papers to practise exam technique.
    http://www.chemguide.co.uk/
    Contains most of the content for the whole A level, and the author also has a book on calculations incase you find those particularly hard.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Terrificmagenta)
    Which exam board you doing?
    Edexcel IAL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me2*)
    Edexcel IAL
    Ah, okay. I did OCR, but generally, the key with Chemistry is UNDERSTANDING the concepts. It's a really enjoyable Alevel, as long as you understand it. Always remember that nothing is impossible to understand (esp at this level), so never give up!

Once you finish a topic in class, do any homework set on that specific topic (our teachers gave us past paper question booklets, but if you don't get em, these topic based questions must be available somewhere online. http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/ has OCR pp questions by topic-maybe check to see if they do EDEXCEL IAL). And put EFFORT into the hw, please pleasee don't write something down if you don't understand it. So say you finished Alcohols today in class, go home and do those homework exam questions on Alcohols (try and do that before you get a test on it). Helps consolidate what you've learnt. Trust me, even if you feel like you 'can't' answer the questions, USE the markschemes (its not cheating!!)-again, do not copy out the MS, but sometimes seeing them can help you to understand certain concepts and figure out exactly what they want from you. Eventually, you'll find you don't need the markschemes for that specific topic because youget an idea of what examiners are looking for and start thinking in the mind set they want you to have.

LISTEN in class and again, make sure you UNDERSTAND. If you do that, you'll remember things and won't really need to 'go over' them; your revision during exam period can be purely past paper based. Don't leave that place till you're sure you do get it! ASK your teachers questions- that's what they're there for; they want you do do well and they'll be happy that you care!

Before your exams make sure you do past papersss. Time yourself if you want, but you don't need to, I never did.

Memorise all the reagents on your specification sheet and any definitions your teachers tell you you need to remember (esp things like common enthalpy changes,first ionisation energy,isotopes, etc. You need to pretty much know these word for word; as they are written on your spec markschemes). Pleasee make sure you can draw out every reaction mechanism they require you to know-these will usually be very easy marks to gain and you should really be guaranteed those marks-maybe use a mini whiteboard or something and draw them over and over and over again .
    Use a peice of A3 paper to make a reaction scheme, connecting all the reactions and reagents you've learnt together (e.g. carboxylic acid+alcohol=ester-and reverse reaction+reagents-, how to make an azo dye, etc). I will try and attach a picture, showing what I mean.

Generally, with planning for Alevels, you need to find what works for you. I never could follow a timetable, but I found setting myself (short term) targets, much closer to exams worked a lot better. I used the notes section in my phone; Sort of like a checklist? it usually looked something like this:

17th June:
    Read bio notes on f214 (half an hour)
    Bio past paper f214 (1.5 hrs)
    Chem past paper f325(2hrs)

In year 13 I also had different post it notes for each exam with checklists of all the recent years past papers for each unit and I'd tick them off so I knew how many I had done.

i.e
    Chemistry-unit 4 (F324):
    Jun 2011
    Jan 2012
    Jun 2012
    Jan 2013
    Jun 2013
    Jun 2014
    Jun 2015

So I sort of had a record of what I had done and felt more on top of things, less worried. Maybe keep a record of your mark in each paper and redo the ones that you didn't do as well as you would have liked in?

I guess these tips would be more useful closer to your exams/mocks but I hope they help in some way 😁😊. I think the key with Alevels is to understand in class and then try to perfect your exam technique. Don't panic, you have agess till exams.

If you have any other questions, do ask.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Where r we supposed to find the time to revise 2 years worth of content? Gove ****ed us over

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ah, okay. I did OCR, but generally, the key with Chemistry is UNDERSTANDING the concepts. It's a really enjoyable Alevel, as long as you understand it. Always remember that nothing is impossible to understand (esp at this level), so never give up!

Once you finish a topic in class, do any homework set on that specific topic (our teachers gave us past paper question booklets, but if you don't get em, these topic based questions must be available somewhere online. http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/ has OCR pp questions by topic-maybe check to see if they do EDEXCEL IAL). And put EFFORT into the hw, please pleasee don't write something down if you don't understand it. So say you finished Alcohols today in class, go home and do those homework exam questions on Alcohols (try and do that before you get a test on it). Helps consolidate what you've learnt. Trust me, even if you feel like you 'can't' answer the questions, USE the markschemes (its not cheating!!)-again, do not copy out the MS, but sometimes seeing them can help you to understand certain concepts and figure out exactly what they want from you. Eventually, you'll find you don't need the markschemes for that specific topic because youget an idea of what examiners are looking for and start thinking in the mind set they want you to have.

LISTEN in class and again, make sure you UNDERSTAND. If you do that, you'll remember things and won't really need to 'go over' them; your revision during exam period can be purely past paper based. Don't leave that place till you're sure you do get it! ASK your teachers questions- that's what they're there for; they want you do do well and they'll be happy that you care!

Before your exams make sure you do past papersss. Time yourself if you want, but you don't need to, I never did.

Memorise all the reagents on your specification sheet and any definitions your teachers tell you you need to remember (esp things like common enthalpy changes,first ionisation energy,isotopes, etc. You need to pretty much know these word for word; as they are written on your spec markschemes). Pleasee make sure you can draw out every reaction mechanism they require you to know-these will usually be very easy marks to gain and you should really be guaranteed those marks-maybe use a mini whiteboard or something and draw them over and over and over again .
    Use a peice of A3 paper to make a reaction scheme, connecting all the reactions and reagents you've learnt together (e.g. carboxylic acid+alcohol=ester-and reverse reaction+reagents-, how to make an azo dye, etc). I will try and attach a picture, showing what I mean.

Generally, with planning for Alevels, you need to find what works for you. I never could follow a timetable, but I found setting myself (short term) targets, much closer to exams worked a lot better. I used the notes section in my phone; Sort of like a checklist? it usually looked something like this:

17th June:
    Read bio notes on f214 (half an hour)
    Bio past paper f214 (1.5 hrs)
    Chem past paper f325(2hrs)

In year 13 I also had different post it notes for each exam with checklists of all the recent years past papers for each unit and I'd tick them off so I knew how many I had done.

i.e
    Chemistry-unit 4 (F324):
    Jun 2011
    Jan 2012
    Jun 2012
    Jan 2013
    Jun 2013
    Jun 2014
    Jun 2015

So I sort of had a record of what I had done and felt more on top of things, less worried. Maybe keep a record of your mark in each paper and redo the ones that you didn't do as well as you would have liked in?

I guess these tips would be more useful closer to your exams/mocks but I hope they help in some way 😁😊. I think the key with Alevels is to understand in class and then try to perfect your exam technique. Don't panic, you have agess till exams.

If you have any other questions, do ask.
    Good luck.
    I have exams in january

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me2*)
    I have exams in january
    Reallyy? I thought they stopped all January exams a few years back? You still got two months tho, that's plenty time!
    Goodluck with those exams
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Reallyy? I thought they stopped all January exams a few years back? You still got two months tho, that's plenty time!
    Goodluck with those exams
    Thanks a lot !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me2*)
    Thanks a lot !
    You doing the full IAL or the IAS atm?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The IAL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me2*)
    The IAL
    Damn i can only really help you with the first 3 units sorry m8

ReputationRep:
    can someone please tell me why the hell the answer to this question is c and not b
    unit 4 question 4 june 2012 edexcel ial chemistry A2

ReputationRep:
    Do you need to get an A in every chemistry unit to get an A*? (i know that we need above 480 UMS and above 270UMS in A2.But that also means if i get a B in AS i can stil get an A* in chemistry in A2.I am doing IAL and please answer my quesion.Thx

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.