Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Basically me and my friend are totally freaking out. We are applying for the same course at university and are worried that our personal statements are too similar despite writing them separately. We have both written them in a chronological order by which the events occur.

Basically we have both:

-Played national volleyball
    -Undertaken the same work experience scheme at large firm
    -Work together as waiters at the local pub
    -Same group for young enterprise scheme so have spoken about the product which we sold

Should i contact UCAS to inform?

ReputationRep:
    Or am I being paranoid

ReputationRep:
    I remember someone saying that you can check the plagiarism on UCAS somehow, I don't remember where though. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. Plagiarism systems pick up on whether you use exactly the same words in a paragraph, not whether you talk about the same stuff. AI isn't that smart yet.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at this https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/f...cant-guide.pdf and see for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    When you submit your application, a similarity report is made on your Personal Statement. As you wrote them independently, I wouldn't worry unless that flags something. If it does, I'd contact UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    i know mine is going to come up flagged but that's because i used a quote so it should be cool

ReputationRep:
    PQ Carnationlilyrose Juno

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citibankrec)
    Or am I being paranoid
    Yes, you are being paranoid. Many 18 year olds have the same experiences, especially if they went to the same school and are applying for the same subject. Did you copy each other's ps? If the answer is no, then you will be fine. There are human beings who check over plagiarised statements when they are flagged up, so they will see what the situation is.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citibankrec)
    bump
    There is nothing more to add. You have had your answer.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.