Turn on thread page Beta

IP address finder watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    OK I would like to know how to find a users IP address if they are logged on to messanger or if you just know the persons email address. This is to be used to find the mysterious hacker thats been lurking around latly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    OK I would like to know how to find a users IP address if they are logged on to messanger or if you just know the persons email address. This is to be used to find the mysterious hacker thats been lurking around latly.
    i think netstat does it for msn messenger... but im not too sure how it works...
    in email; if you view the full header you can see the IP address and all other info you should need... this can be done in hotmail too... look in options>mail>Mail Display Settings>Message Headers put it to advanced or full and you should be able to see the "hackers" IP wehn you open a email from him/her

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you can get their IP address off emails they send you, assuming they haven't forged it. You can type "netstat" into a Command Prompt, but I dunno if it displays active Messenger connections. Haven't tried.

ReputationRep:
    MSN only establishes a direct connection between users during file transfer, webcam, etc. sessions.

During normal chat, any communication goes via MSN's servers, so netstat won't show the IP address of the other user.

(Original post by Chubb)
    gimme the email address and i will give you the ip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa1)
    gimme the email address and i will give you the ip
    How does that work? Emails aren't bound to a single IP address.

(Original post by Squishy)
    How does that work? Emails aren't bound to a single IP address.
    depends on whether its ***@hotmail.com or ******@mydomain.com alongside other things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa1)
    depends on whether its ***@hotmail.com or ******@mydomain.com alongside other things.
    You still can't tell the IP address an email originated from just by the email address. It could change depending on where the person's connected from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Do you have the hacker on your msn or something?
    lol its either that or hes trying to get someone's ip address :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You still can't tell the IP address an email originated from just by the email address. It could change depending on where the person's connected from.
    if the dude is running his/her own mail server on his/her own computer with his/her own domain... it will inherently use his/her own ip... but i dont see how it can be done with a web based account... which is what most people use...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    if the dude is running his/her own mail server on his/her own computer with his/her own domain... it will inherently use his/her own ip... but i dont see how it can be done with a web based account... which is what most people use...
    Yeah, of course...but most people who want to stay fairly anonymous use dynamic IPs anyway, and since it's a Messenger account (which are usually linked to Hotmail addresses), there's unlikely to be a static IP the person's using.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, of course...but most people who want to stay fairly anonymous use dynamic IPs anyway, and since it's a Messenger account (which are usually linked to Hotmail addresses), there's unlikely to be a static IP the person's using.
    well it depends really... i use a static IP... no real reason really... its good if you have your own ftp server... well you can get those domain address thingies which are just as good really...
    if he has adsl and uses an adsl router then; i think the router stays connected all teh time (well mine does)... so the IP cant change can it? well thats just a guess... but if its true then the geezer would have a sort of semi-static IP, which will only change when he disconnect manually or restarts his router...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    lol its either that or hes trying to get someone's ip address :rolleyes:
    Well we thought it was the hacker at first but it tuns out to just be someone else who has a strange email address. :rolleyes:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.