Did you get the best grades in your year in the subject for which you applied? Watch

Teebs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wasn't top of my class in terms of exam scores for politics or economics at A level. I think I was as good as or better than anyone though in actual understanding, I just couldn't be bothered to do any work when I felt I'd get an A anyway.

Either way, the other two people who were in the same sort of area for grades both applied to Oxford and both failed on their first try, applied again and one of them got an offer.
FadeToBlackout
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 3232)
Hah, try an average UCAS points haul of 180 (thats DDD at A Level) and i am, i believe, the only person ever to get into Oxbridge in the 40 odd year history of the place. Now THAT'S bad. :p:
I see your 180 points and raise you OFSTED Special Measures! :p:
--
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Touche. :p:
sebbie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 3232)
Hah, try an average UCAS points haul of 180 (thats DDD at A Level) and i am, i believe, the only person ever to get into Oxbridge in the 40 odd year history of the place. Now THAT'S bad. :p:
yeah exactly, thats the point I was making....
LatinMachine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was top in Psychology - but seeing as the only two other people who probably could've done better than me didn't take Psychology, and I got full UMS marks/nearly full marks on most of my modules, coming top wasn't hard!
Font
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
no i only got second best - the guy who got the best was rejected from oxbridge - i suppose it is down to pot luck a lot of the times.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Athena (emphasis mine))

Before the last two years, the school had got about five people in ever, and certainly none for four years. We were just a freak year, although we are trying to get at least a few people to apply each year. It's an uphill struggle though
Slightly OT, but dif you feel there was a 'critical mass' effect? I was also part of a 'freak year' at my school, and one thing I think made a huge difference over other years was having four of us doing the same subjects and spurring each other on.
coldfish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think it might just be that we're all more likely to belong to freak years because we're all Oxbridge students/applicants. A freak year will have far more of them, and so they are quite likely to belong to freak years.

I guess you might be partially right, and I think it's certainly true that other people in your year applying to Oxbridge would encourage you to apply, but I'm not sure if it's that great an effect. After all, there's always a -few- people in each year who are clever enough to encourage each other academically.
FadeToBlackout
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by coldfish)
After all, there's always a -few- people in each year who are clever enough to encourage each other academically.
^^ I agree with this- there were some scarily and expressively intelligent people in my year. My year wasa bit of a freak year because we reversed the trend of declining GCSE and AS and A2 results as we went through. Plus I applied and got in- first person to apply and get in for an appreciably long time.
tbtommyb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I didn't get top. In fact I got a rather low A in Spanish.
Consie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
this thread implies that A levels are indicative of intelligence (like, there's a close relationship), when i dont think that's the case really. Oxford offers are based around a lot more than just A level grades. That said, i think (emphasis on think) i got the highest score in History. I think 2 people got a distinction in the AEA for it, but the other dude got BBC and a distinction (which is a crazy set of results!), so its not quite the same :P

A levels are more about jumping through hoops than intelligence really, so making your offer is more about ticking the box rather than actually demonstrating your intelligence. imo, anyway.

I got the top economics score as well come to think of it. Dont know about my classics class, there was some girl doing classics whose going to the same oxford college as me to do it, so i imagine she got higher.
dinkymints
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tbtommyb)
I didn't get top. In fact I got a rather low A in Spanish.
I'm off to do French and Spanish and Oxford, somehow I got a D in the Spanish Literature module (!) but still managed a 550something overall, luckily. I'm guessing someone might have beaten me overall in Spanish, and possibly in French (especially as there were several natives, but that doesn't mean a lot!) but I was top in both most of the way through the course in internal (past a-level paper) exams, and was generally quite good at the lit so... hmm.
Lottie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
At AS, I did better in geography and government & politics compared to history, the subject I applied for, though the difference was only about ten marks in the end. This year I had identical marks for history and geography overall though I did better in history at A2 than I did in any of my other subjects. I don't know how my classmates did, to be honest.
History_is...
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got the best marks in my year for History, but it was still only a B, so coming to Oxford I quickly became accustomed to not being the best! Moreover I got better UMS in all of my other subjects (English, Maths, French, further maths) than I did in history despite this being the subject I applied for! As everyone else has said already, it doesn't seem to be very relevant how you did in A levels once you start your degree, it is all very different. A levels, and UMS marks specifically, are not a good indicator as to who will succeed at degree level.
Turdburger
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
Not even close, about 20th id guess. But thats about 550 UMS, I just have a very strong year.
JW
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got beaten by someone in my English class (I got 292, he got 296), but he's applying to Cambridge whereas I want to apply to Oxford so i'll let him off.
Demoskratos7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got the best mark in my year for A2 English Literature (which I suppose I think of as the most relevant subject to Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic) - I scored 300/300 which was a real shock for me because I wasn't too happy with the Shakespeare essay I'd written! I did well in History as well, dropped down a bit in Religious Studies and French compared to my AS scores - but to be honest I haven't got round to asking my friends exactly what they scored.
Chewwy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
good question.

no, i didn't i terms of UMS, since, as regular posters in the maths forum may have noticed, i am prone to making mistakes left right and centre. i was the best at maths though, deffo (puts on arrogance hat)
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I smacked Physics and Maths, highest A grade in my class and school.. I was beaten in Economics though.
cbv2005
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I came top in my year in Politics and English Lit at AS and the head talked about that in his little reference bit on the Oxford form so i guess it helped a bit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (36)
97.3%
No (1)
2.7%

Watched Threads