Turn on thread page Beta

VM410 – Children’s Playgrounds Motion 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with this motion?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    37.78%
    On the contrary, No
    28.89%
    Abstain
    33.33%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    VM410 – Children’s Playgrounds Motion 2016, TSR Labour Party
    This House believes that the Government should do more to protect children’s playgrounds.

These playgrounds are a great way to provide children with a free and fun form of exercise and they help to get them into the outdoors. In recent years however, large amounts of our country's playgrounds have been threatened with closure. Playgrounds have been a long-suffering victim of government cuts and we are concerned they will not be around for future generations to enjoy if they continue to decline in number.

One reason why playgrounds are closed down is because of space. We recognise that more houses need to be built in order to satisfy the growing demands for them. However, sacrificing playgrounds for that is wrong, especially when most new developments can find suitable land to build on. Another reason why playgrounds are closed down is due to safety concerns. An increase in government safety awareness has led to such concerns. It is good that precautions are taken with regards to safety but that should not be used as the sole excuse to close down a playground. It costs very little to maintain playground equipment, far less than the benefits gained from these playgrounds.

In a world where obesity is constantly on the rise, children’s playgrounds are needed more than ever. A staggering 37.5% of children in Year 6 are obese in some parts of the country and this is costing the NHS £4.2bn each year. Playgrounds can encourage unhealthy children to getsome exercise but offer it to them in an enjoyable way. In addition to physical well-being, playgrounds can inspire children to take risks, build their resilience and introduce them to problem solving. The benefits of playgrounds are often underestimated but they are excellent tools for childhood development that need to remain for a long time to come.

There are two main ways the Government can help to keep Britain's playgrounds for a long time to come. One is to repair the playground equipment so that it is safe for children to enjoy. As is pointed out above, maintaining playground equipment really doesn't cost a lot of money but it can benefit so many families in the community. Another way the Government can help is by protecting the playgrounds that remain. If they do not protect the land which playgrounds are built upon, there is a real danger that playgrounds could be a thing of the past in the next few decades. We are not struggling for space so much that playgrounds need to be replaced with buildings and the Government needs to recognise this by rejecting any future proposals to build on playground land.

Sources:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/alic..._11084334.html
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...air%20Play.pdf
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14261305
    http://percussionplay.com/blog/are-t...nds-in-the-uk/

ReputationRep:
    The continuing issue people have in differentiating between "the number of" and "the amount of" is staggering.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I've never seen a primary school with no playground?
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I've never seen a primary school with no playground?
    As above ^^

ReputationRep:
    As much as I'd love to support Labour in a bill with well thought out intentions, I struggle to do so as I have myself yet to see* any playgrounds that have closed, but, saying that, when I was a child I remember my community forced a closed playground to be reopened with extra facilities. This was in 2000 and due to a Labour government but of course things are a lot different now.....

Tough one...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    As much as I'd love to support Labour in a bill with well thought out intentions, I struggle to do so as I have myself yet to see* any playgrounds that have closed, but, saying that, when I was a child I remember my community forced a closed playground to be reopened with extra facilities. This was in 2000 and due to a Labour government but of course things are a lot different now.....

Tough one...
    I would urge you to vote aye on this one. I know that there are still several playgrounds well maintained and still open across the country but at the same time, some playgrounds are falling into disrepair and being closed due to a lack of funding. Due to increasingly tighter fiscal policy, Britain's playgrounds are under more threat than ever before. If you want to help save our playgrounds and keep them for future generations to enjoy, support this motion.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming the bill is referring to playgrounds outside of school premises, not in primary schools

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of protecting children's playgrounds, when is the Labour Party going to protect children in playgrounds from being molested, groomed and/or raped in places like Rotherham, or are they just going to let that happen because they want to be politically correct and want to keep those rapists, who generally vote for them, happy? We should be focusing more on protecting children in playgrounds in that way, not just protecting the existence of playgrounds. And we better not let in more fake refugees in, or our playgrounds will turn from being a place where children have fun to a place where they are raped. Just look at what happened in places like Sweden or Germany.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, we should be ensuring that our youth have something to do.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye, we should be ensuring that our youth have something to do.
    Funnily enough every generation before us managed to make their own fun, and funnily enough our generation is managing to entertain themselves, even if not in ways particularly conducive to good health.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Funnily enough every generation before us managed to make their own fun, and funnily enough our generation is managing to entertain themselves, even if not in ways particularly conducive to good health.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Times are changing pal, no harm in a child's playground unless it gets taken over by older youths or drug users.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Times are changing pal, no harm in a child's playground unless it gets taken over by older youths or drug users.
    Times are changing, you mean kids are now putting down their controller and TV remotes?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ReputationRep:
    Times are changing, you mean kids are now putting down their controller and TV remotes?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok. I'm not sure what the whole "ha" thing is about....

But whatever suits you...?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ok. I'm not sure what the whole "ha" thing is about....

But whatever suits you...?
    I guess you live in a totally sterile environment devoid of joy and laughter if it's so alien to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess you live in a totally sterile environment devoid of joy and laughter if it's so alien to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cool story bruh.

Back to the bill, I'd be pretty interested in seeing how much it would cost to maintain a park.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ayes to the right: 17
    Noes to the left: 13
    Abstentions: 15

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 90%

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.