choc.chip.cookie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've already decided that I'm going to take biology, chemistry and maths but for the fourth subject I can't choose between french, fine art and psychology.
I want to do Medicine at uni by the way.
Gogregg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
French - Very difficult. Requires you to know a lot of the grammar to a high standard and really requires a passion for the language to do well.
Fine Art - Very time consuming. If you do this it will take time from your other subjects unless you are really well organised.
Psychology - Requires you to learn a lot of case studies, so you need a good memory and good essay writing-skills.

In the end, they're all going to be difficult, but take whichever you feel you'll enjoy the most, your AS subject doesn't really matter for medicine.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gogregg)
French - Very difficult. Requires you to know a lot of the grammar to a high standard and really requires a passion for the language to do well.
Fine Art - Very time consuming. If you do this it will take time from your other subjects unless you are really well organised.
Psychology - Requires you to learn a lot of case studies, so you need a good memory and good essay writing-skills.

In the end, they're all going to be difficult, but take whichever you feel you'll enjoy the most, your AS subject doesn't really matter for medicine.
They won't have any ASes, my year (current yr12, were the last to have any modular a levels, for OP it will be 100% Linear)

To answer the question though, honesty id just take 3, all universities including oxford and Cambridge only require 3 A Levels, the fourth is Essentially a safety net in exchange for a hell of a lot of extra work, also if I'm being honest, the subjects you suggested aren't really relevant to medicine (I suppose psychology is kinda, but it's a weak link) so yeah
choc.chip.cookie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gogregg)

Thanks for the info
choc.chip.cookie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Connor27)
They won't have any ASes, my year (current yr12, were the last to have any modular a levels, for OP it will be 100% Linear)

To answer the question though, honesty id just take 3, all universities including oxford and Cambridge only require 3 A Levels, the fourth is Essentially a safety net in exchange for a hell of a lot of extra work, also if I'm being honest, the subjects you suggested aren't really relevant to medicine (I suppose psychology is kinda, but it's a weak link) so yeah
Are you sure?
Does this mean no one can do AS anymore?
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by choc.chip.cookie)
Are you sure?
Does this mean no one can do AS anymore?
Yep, I'm positive, my year had a small range of AS subjects to choose from (Politics, Business, Media and other minor subjects mainly, and maths which was the only unreformed major one) but as of next year the A Level reforms are completed and it's all linear
choc.chip.cookie
Rep:
?
Yep, I'm positive, my year had a small range of AS subjects to choose from (Politics, Business, Media and other minor subjects mainly, and maths which was the only unreformed major one) but as of next year the A Level reforms are completed and it's all linear
Ok well if that's the case I will only do 3 A levels
OvergrownMoose
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd go for French; but that's a personal preference learning a second language will always be a benefit! #Moooose
lostintrnslation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
if you're going to take four, do french. it would really stand out on your uni applications bc not many medics take a language. i'm doing french right now and the jump isn't terrible. the main difference between gcse and a level is that at a level, you actually have to know stuff, whereas at gcse, you don't.
Korvax
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It depends on the school, some still offer AS exams and qualifications but they don't count towards your A-level grade
choc.chip.cookie
Rep:
?
I've just looked on the gov.uk website and it says you can still take AS seperately but they don't count towards your A level - they are a seperate qualification.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've just looked on the gov.uk website and it says you can still take AS seperately but they don't count towards your A level - they are a seperate qualification.
That's interesting, we weren't given that option, if we chose a linear subject we had like the first 2 weeks to change if we didn't like it then it was that we have to stick it out to the end, I think they have different subject content though so It'd be unfeasible for teaching requirements in most schools I imagine, I guess inquire with your teacher, I really would advise against it though, I'm doing 4 A Levels at the moment and trust me the work load isn't nice, go for the three that are relevant and enjoy your free periods
choc.chip.cookie
Rep:
?
That's interesting, we weren't given that option, if we chose a linear subject we had like the first 2 weeks to change if we didn't like it then it was that we have to stick it out to the end, I think they have different subject content though so It'd be unfeasible for teaching requirements in most schools I imagine, I guess inquire with your teacher, I really would advise against it though, I'm doing 4 A Levels at the moment and trust me the work load isn't nice, go for the three that are relevant and enjoy your free periods
Thanks for the advice and what A levels are you taking?
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for the advice and what A levels are you taking?
English Lit, History, Government and Politics and French (fellow French lover )
choc.chip.cookie
Rep:
?
English Lit, History, Government and Politics and French (fellow French lover )
So what are you thinking of doing at uni?
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So what are you thinking of doing at uni?
Either PPE, Law or Ancient History
choc.chip.cookie
Rep:
?
Either PPE, Law or Ancient History
well good luck!!
Cursed Hedgehog
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've already decided that I'm going to take biology, chemistry and maths but for the fourth subject I can't choose between french, fine art and psychology.
I want to do Medicine at uni by the way.
I'd go for psychology, I like psychology a lot as it is a very relatable subject as u can apply it to everyday life and is not to difficult, BTW there's not too much essay writing in it also which is a bonus, most papers only have 1 essay question.
choc.chip.cookie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cursed Hedgehog)
I'd go for psychology, I like psychology a lot as it is a very relatable subject as u can apply it to everyday life and is not to difficult, BTW there's not too much essay writing in it also which is a bonus, most papers only have 1 essay question.
Oh ok, because the essay bit is the one thing i dislike about it so that's good lol
Cursed Hedgehog
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I hate essays so much as well but thank goodness that there's only 1 tho well usually , otherwise I would hate it. I recommend psychology a lot tho. But idk if exam boards vary in terms of essay questions so you'll need to check that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
61.54%
No (50)
38.46%

Watched Threads