alpacinohead
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Does anybody know of good places to sit A-Level exams for private candidates in London, price-wise? Also, for anyone that has sat A-Level's privately, how did you revise? Did you merely purchase your curriculum books, attend private classes, or hire a tutor? I ask because I'm looking to sit Maths and Further Maths with AQA, which I know can be quite demanding. I've been using Khan Academy to learn, but am unsure if this will be enough.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The board website will have resources and info about where you can do the exam. How you choose to study is very dependent on you and what you can afford and how you study.
The Tutor Pages
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by alpacinohead)
Does anybody know of good places to sit A-Level exams for private candidates in London, price-wise? Also, for anyone that has sat A-Level's privately, how did you revise? Did you merely purchase your curriculum books, attend private classes, or hire a tutor? I ask because I'm looking to sit Maths and Further Maths with AQA, which I know can be quite demanding. I've been using Khan Academy to learn, but am unsure if this will be enough.
Hi Alpacinohead,

Like you say, there are many options to studying maths privately. You may be interested in this article (and others on our site) with tips for reading before starting your maths A-level:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/tutor-a...and-moocs/8612

We have a large number of articles on maths on our site, so do take a look here if you'd like to see more:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/a-level-maths-tutors

We also list online and location-based tutors if you do decide to look for a private tutor.

Good luck with your studies!

Emma
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did this for AS economics, but I sat it in my school and only paid £50. I used resources from this site, the textbook and plenty of online videos. Highly suggest buying revision guides from Hodder and CGP, I attended some events too held by Hodder but for me it's was mainly copying out of the textbook and rewriting it that helped, Good luck!
Maths is Life
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When people usually talk about being a private candidate they always want to do maths.

It's hilarious how straight forward self teaching maths has become for many.

Guess it's just banter. You should also think about Physics/Additional FM if you have more dollar
alpacinohead
Rep:
?
(Original post by zayn008)
Did this for AS economics, but I sat it in my school and only paid £50. I used resources from this site, the textbook and plenty of online videos. Highly suggest buying revision guides from Hodder and CGP, I attended some events too held by Hodder but for me it's was mainly copying out of the textbook and rewriting it that helped, Good luck!
I'd never heard of Hodder; they look great! Thank you very much.
alpacinohead
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maths is Life)
When people usually talk about being a private candidate they always want to do maths.

It's hilarious how straight forward self teaching maths has become for many.

Guess it's just banter. You should also think about Physics/Additional FM if you have more dollar
I ultimately want to do all of the sciences, maths and further maths. I'm just starting with math because it lays a good foundation for the others.
Maths is Life
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I ultimately want to do all of the sciences, maths and further maths. I'm just starting with math because it lays a good foundation for the others.
Tru dat.

Even biology omgggg.

What about ComputerScience/Computing/Statistics?

So I'm guessing this is gonna cost bare P
alpacinohead
Rep:
?
Tru dat.

Even biology omgggg.

What about ComputerScience/Computing/Statistics?

Computer Science and Statistics are both subjects I feel pretty competent in as I use both of those skills for work (I'm an financial engineer for an investment firm). The A-Levels are just something new to learn in my spare time. Yeah, if it ends up being very expensive I might limit my choices. I'm not looking to spend more than £400 per A-Level, I just need to find somewhere I can sit the exams. I think most people choose maths at A-Level because it doesn't require practical assessments like some of the sciences do.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd never heard of Hodder; they look great! Thank you very much.
You're welcome, sorry it's actually called Hodder Education. Just googled hodder and saw it wasn't the top result so you might've got the wrong site
alpacinohead
Rep:
?
(Original post by zayn008)
You're welcome, sorry it's actually called Hodder Education. Just googled hodder and saw it wasn't the top result so you might've got the wrong site
Thanks for update. I did find the correct site in the end. I'd googled 'Hodder Maths A-Level'. Did you feel the Hodder books were enough? You also mentioned CGP and I remember those being quite concise. Which were more fun to read and provided the most useful knowledge?
sadunicorn
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ayesha community school does it but it is AQA I think you can ask them and it costs £45 per module.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tru dat.

What does this mean??!!
alpacinohead
Rep:
?
(Original post by sadunicorn)
Ayesha community school does it but it is AQA I think you can ask them and it costs £45 per module.
Exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you very much.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for update. I did find the correct site in the end. I'd googled 'Hodder Maths A-Level'. Did you feel the Hodder books were enough? You also mentioned CGP and I remember those being quite concise. Which were more fun to read and provided the most useful knowledge?
Yep, Hodder made the textbook, revision guides and workbooks for economics. For maths they make our MEI textbooks which are great and also have revision guides but I think they're limited to MEI. I think they were better than CGP, I enjoyed CGP for GCSEs but found that at a-level for economics and maths they weren't very helpful only in confirming what I knew and what I didn't since they weren'tt fun at all but their note format was quite nice, so because of that I didn't use it much till my exams because it's something fresh and very concise and I'm of the opinion that learning immediately before exams is a bad idea but CGP just helps to brush up and reaffirm your knowledge.

I personally enjoy Hodder education more and would recommend their textbooks 100% but their revision guides are quite limited in knowledge especially for maths, it's at quite a basic level but very efficient and I've learnt a lot where as CGP does cover everything and more but is very bland and hard to learn from, it's more like a checklist for me even but it did help. So if you wanna follow my routine (which worked for me and got me an A in AS economics) then I'd say read the textbook and rewrite relevant information and answer the questions, move onto Hodder revision guides when doing past papers, then before the exam use CGP as it's straight to the point (unlike me)
alpacinohead
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
What does this mean??!!
Roughly translated, it means: "that's going to cost loads of money"
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Roughly translated, it means: "that's going to cost loads of money"
Thanks!
ckfeister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bromley Tutorial Foundation

Its around £275 for the one AS-Level.
prospectiveppe
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sometimes using the books and revision guides can place emphasis very differently to how the exam boards place emphasis- AQA have a huge repository of past papers.. before you sit any exam make sure you do all of them! I find them very useful for learning as well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (68)
27.2%
No - I have already returned home (27)
10.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (52)
20.8%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (27)
10.8%
No - I live at home during term anyway (76)
30.4%

Watched Threads