Turn on thread page Beta

PS1/N64/Dreamcast single player vs Current Gen online multiplayer watch

• View Poll Results: /thread title
    PS1/N64/Dreamcast all the way!
    50.00%
    No way man, it's the current gen which is rocking it!
    25.00%
    I'm not a gamer :/
    25.00%

ReputationRep:
    In a nutshell, did you enjoy playing on the older generation consoles where you could only do single player / challenge mates by hooking up another controller? .... or do you love the online multiplayers that current gen consoles offer?

Was gaming really better back in the days where it encouraged you to be social if you wanted to challenge other people?

Were titles like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro really the golden era of gaming? :sogood:

Me personally, the golden era of gaming were the PS1 days. It was great fun the games tended to have a really simplistic factor about it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I preferred older system singleplayer. Online multiplayer in games are too similar and I get bored after about an hour, there are some more interesting types like Dark Souls PVP and coop, Assassin's Creed and valve multiplayer games, but during the seventh generation a lot of games were including an unnecessary multiplayer, probably because of the success of call of duty.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    N64 Goldeneye + Mario kart with 3 mates will always be better than COD

ReputationRep:
    Split-screen multi-player beats online multi-player hands down in my opinion. Most of my best social gaming experiences have come from having four of us crowded around a 15 inch TV screen playing Medal of Honour: Rising Sun or two player Star Wars Battlefront.
    The PS2 was the golden era of offline multi-player in my opinion.

Now it seems like COD is the only game that seems of offer 4 player split-screen & 4 player zombies can actually be pretty fun. The only game I've ever really enjoyed playing online is GTA V but even that pales in comparison to GTA San Andreas for me.

There's various reasons why split-screen is slowly becoming extinct - lack of development time/resources for developers, concern that split-screen multi-player reduces sales (I actually think it increases them if done well) and the fact that having split-screen can mean the console has to work twice as hard which limits performance & graphics (personally I think this is a fair trade off if done well).

ReputationRep:
    Nothing beats the Dreamcast for gaming. As the topic of this thread is single-player for the DC, I won't go into it's impressive online capabilities (yes, some games like Quake 3 Arena still work!). Instead, no multilap adaptor is needed to instantly plug in 4 controllers. This means that playing split-screen with friends is that much better. Also the Dreamcast has the highest quality/quantity ratio of any system (imo): tonnes of classic Sega arcade games, Capcom fighters, and other obscure gems. Sonic Adventure 1/2 and Shenmue 1/2 provide ample single-player awesomeness, especially if you are playing with the VGA cable for a better resolution! The VMUs are a fun addition, too.

The current generation focuses almost solely on the online element in games. While online is incredibly fun (I love playing Halo 5!), the lack of effort developers put into the story mode (if it exists at all) is disturbing. Online-centric games become repetitive after a while. Replay value for these games is a lot lower than older games; the industry may be at fault here, with publishers like Activision and EA being notorious for churning out games every year with little effort. Also, consider which games are more likely to be played in 10 or 20 years time. When servers go down, the lack of content in modern games will really be exposed. At least there will be Call of Duty 20 and FIFA 30 to buy though...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 28, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.