The Student Room Group

UCAS application help.

Obviously the goal is to get your UCAS application sent off ASAP, and to as high quality as you can. I am applying as an individual, with my old school teacher as my referee. It is currently half term, so the teachers are not available at the school. Therefore I can't send off my UCAS application until next week.
He literally just needs to press end on his email to UCAS if I send it off. But I don't want to send it off, UCAS email him, and then he doesn't reply. Because then my application might look poor.

What should I do?
Send my application off and hope he sends the references off despite being at home?
Or wait until next week but just waste more time until my application get sent off?
Is there anything else I can do?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BenCutter
Obviously the goal is to get your UCAS application sent off ASAP, and to as high quality as you can. I am applying as an individual, with my old school teacher as my referee. It is currently half term, so the teachers are not available at the school. Therefore I can't send off my UCAS application until next week.
He literally just needs to press end on his email to UCAS if I send it off. But I don't want to send it off, UCAS email him, and then he doesn't reply. Because then my application might look poor.

What should I do?
Send my application off and hope he sends the references off despite being at home?
Or wait until next week but just waste more time until my application get sent off?

Just wait it's really not a race. I sent mine off just before I went on half term (12th October) and haven't heard anything. What course are you applying for and which unis?
Reply 2
Hi, I know it might be frustrating the waiting game to send it off. You could email him - but whether he replies that's another issue. But November isn't late considering the deadline is Jan. And it's better it is to the highest standard and you're pleased.
But - if it is bothering you just drop him an email

~ all the best x
Reply 3

What should I do?

Forgot to ask, have you paid already?
Because I paid - then the office checked it. And I needed to Change one thing so they bounced it back.
Does it work the same for you?
Reply 4
Original post by tictactao
Just wait it's really not a race. I sent mine off just before I went on half term (12th October) and haven't heard anything. What course are you applying for and which unis?

I'm applying for computer science courses. I've taken a year out and got work experience in the field. And I've already got my grades so I know which ones I'm more likely to get into and which ones I'm not. So unis will either offer me an unconditional or reject me. Which is fine. But its just knowing that an unconditional might be right around the corner and I could miss it because my teachers aren't in
Reply 5
Original post by TK_23
Forgot to ask, have you paid already?
Because I paid - then the office checked it. And I needed to Change one thing so they bounced it back.
Does it work the same for you?

No, I haven't paid. Once the application is sent I didn't know there was anyway of getting it back? Not that I have sent it, even though I want to.
Reply 6
You got until Jan. It doesn't have to be "ASAP"
I'm applying for computer science courses. I've taken a year out and got work experience in the field. And I've already got my grades so I know which ones I'm more likely to get into and which ones I'm not. So unis will either offer me an unconditional or reject me. Which is fine. But its just knowing that an unconditional might be right around the corner and I could miss it because my teachers aren't in

You can't exactly 'miss' an offer. It's not like people who apply on January 14th won't get any offers at all they do. If the university thinks you're good for them then they'll give you an unconditional offer. They don't just reject you because you didn't send it early.
Reply 8
Original post by tictactao
You can't exactly 'miss' an offer. It's not like people who apply on January 14th won't get any offers at all they do. If the university thinks you're good for them then they'll give you an unconditional offer. They don't just reject you because you didn't send it early.

Yeh I guess you're right. It's just annoying knowing everything is ready to go but it can't for a week. I'm sure you understand.
Reply 9
No, I haven't paid. Once the application is sent I didn't know there was anyway of getting it back? Not that I have sent it, even though I want to.

I'd have to check on this - but when I was paying it send "click to send this through to your referee" - so that's what I was paying then the "referee" checked it and sent it off. WHen there was a mistake they sent it back and I easily just sent it back to them because they've got the final send button. To actually sent it to UCAS.

Maybe ask /email if you can pay. Then you might get some more information as I went via my college, not as an individual. But don't worry either way. It's not a race. Whether you put it in on the 5th September or the 15th January. You can get an offer.
Reply 10
Yeh I guess you're right. It's just annoying knowing everything is ready to go but it can't for a week. I'm sure you understand.

I understand this struggle. I was getting angsty waiting to send mine
Reply 11
Original post by TK_23
I'd have to check on this - but when I was paying it send "click to send this through to your referee" - so that's what I was paying then the "referee" checked it and sent it off. WHen there was a mistake they sent it back and I easily just sent it back to them because they've got the final send button. To actually sent it to UCAS.

Maybe ask /email if you can pay. Then you might get some more information as I went via my college, not as an individual. But don't worry either way. It's not a race. Whether you put it in on the 5th September or the 15th January. You can get an offer.

This is the problem, I'm going through UCAS 'individually' so my referee is external. So instead of sending my application to my referee it goes to UCAS, and they email my referee asking for pre-written-references.
Reply 12
This is the problem, I'm going through UCAS 'individually' so my referee is external. So instead of sending my application to my referee it goes to UCAS, and they email my referee asking for pre-written-references.

Oh I'm sorry I was a bit confused. And that's annoying. Well, try not to stress over it. I know how much it annoys you to wait. I was in the same exact position and had to wait an extra week when it was all done and ready. But - it's okay. They won't not give you an offer. You have just as fair a chance as everyone else :smile:.
All the best x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending