Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it really difficult going from doing BTEC Extended Diploma to University? A Levels seemed like a struggled to a lot of people I know but I didn't struggle that hard with BTEC. (Btw the way I studied level 3 Applied Science). I feel like I wouldn't of been taught what others in A levels have been.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Bronxoxo)
    Is it really difficult going from doing BTEC Extended Diploma to University? A Levels seemed like a struggled to a lot of people I know but I didn't struggle that hard with BTEC. (Btw the way I studied level 3 Applied Science). I feel like I wouldn't of been taught what others in A levels have been.
    Universities have people with a whole variety of qualifications and backgrounds (even those doing A levels will have a bunch of different subject combinations).

That's why first year marks don't count towards your degree classification on most degrees - the first year is designed to bring everyone from various backgrounds up to a similar level of basic knowledge about the subject. To fill in any gaps and to give you a feel for how university study works.

I'd recommend if you're used to BTECs with lots of coursework that you look on unistats for your choices to see how much of your mark is from exams and how much from coursework (and how it changes over time) - that way you'll be prepared if you're going onto a course that is 100% exams in the first year.

ReputationRep:
    Many universities (some even good/decent) will accept BTEC students, but you will most likely not get into the top-tier without an additional A-Level. Unis prefer A-Level as it is academic and BTEC is vocational course.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I want to look at this from another perspective. I'm currenlty doing Forensic Computing. I did a BTEC in Software Dev at college and also did A Level Computing so I can compare the 2. The stuff I did in the BTEC was easier than the A Levels (just becuase coursework isn't as difficult as exams) but it's also proved to be far more useful. The majority of stuff I'm being taught right now is stuff I already know from my BTEC. If I just had the A Level I wouldn't have as much experience and uni would be harder.

The other thing is doing a BTEC with lots of self study and researching is good prep for uni where you may be expected to do 20+ hours of your own additional study. I feel like BTEC's are actually closer to how you'll spend a lot of your uni life.

Uni is a step up from A levels which are by default harder than BTEC's but I feel like in some cases (mine for example) the BTEC gave me more of an advantage than the A Level. Some of the A Level knowledge is coming into play but the sheer quantity of stuff covered in my BTEC means I have far greater background knowledge.

I'll make it clear that this will not apply to everyone, especially in the case of the less academic or practical BTEC's.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.