Turn on thread page Beta

Most anticipated movies of 2017 watch

• View Poll Results: What are you most looking forward to?
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (May)
    6.90%
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead men tell no tales (June)
    0%
    Justice League (Nov)
    3.45%
    Spiderman (July)
    20.69%
    Wonder Woman (July)
    6.90%
    Alien: Covenant (Aug)
    6.90%
    Fast and Furious 8 (April)
    0%
    Thor: Ragnarok (Nov)
    3.45%
    Transformers: The last night (June)
    0%
    Logan (X-Men) (March)
    3.45%
    Star Wars Episode 8 (Dec)
    17.24%
    Kingsman: The Golden Circle (June)
    10.34%
    War for the planet of the Apes (June)
    10.34%
    Divergent: Acendant
    10.34%

ReputationRep:
    Back in 2015 we had this thread and though we still got some side threads i preferred the fact that a lot of conversation occurred here and it's associated debate and sub-debate. So i thought i'd create the thread again.

After a stellar 2015, 2016 saw much weaker box office performance and little of note from June-Nov unless your a fan of the Suicide Squad, though Deadpool in February was brilliant.

2017 is however shaping up to be a much better affair with a whole host of movies on the horizon and i expect big things, as such i have added a poll.

For me i'm looking forward to Kingsman 2 a lot however the standout has to be Starwars: Episode 8.

ReputationRep:
    Films I'm super excited for:
    *John Wick Chapter 2
    *Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2
    *Logan
    *Justice League
    *Alien: Covenant
    *War for the Planet of the Apes
    *Spiderman: Homecoming
    *The Lego Batman Movie
    *Power Rangers
    *Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
    *Star Wars Episode VIII
    *Dunkirk
    *Blade Runner 2049
    *Creed 2
    *Beauty and the Beast

Films I'm looking forward to seeing:
    *Wonder Woman
    *Thor: Ragnarok
    *Kingsman 2
    *Kong: Skull Island
    *King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
    *Ghost in the Shell
    *World War Z 2
    *Jumanji
    *Untitled Marvel/Fox project

Films I'm looking forward to laughing at the stupidity of:
    *Divergent Series: Ascendent
    *Transformers: The Last Knight
    *xXx 3: Return of Xander Cage
    *Underworld: Blood Wars
    *Saw Legacy

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell isn't Beauty and the Beast on the list??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Why the hell isn't Beauty and the Beast on the list??
    It must have got bumped off for the latest additions to the critically acclaimed Transformers and Divergent series :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    It must have got bumped off for the latest additions to the critically acclaimed Transformers and Divergent series :ahee:

Can you believe this TheonlyMrsHolmes

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking forward to Trainspotting 2 :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Trainspotting 2

ReputationRep:
    Well, Hacksaw Ridge technically is released in the UK in January 2017...

I remember the 2015 thread and choosing Jurassic World, i shan't be doing something like that again.

Will edit when i have a more thorough think about it.

ReputationRep:
    So i've narrowed my list down to three films; Dunkirk, Kingsman 2 and War of the Planet of the Apes.

Dunkirk
    Spoiler:
    Show

I am a huge Christopher Nolan fan, especially given his approach to making a movie. I recently watched the behind the scenes videos for Interstellar and it's absolutely incredible the lengths he will go to get the feeling of authenticity, not that there was any doubt when you look at how he made his previous films.

However i am curious as to how he makes Dunkirk more than an average war film, as he can't solely rely on practical effects and authenticity alone.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle [spoilers]
    Spoiler:
    Show

I've been a big fan of Matthew Vaughn, especially from seeing Kick Ass and First Class, but Kingsman: The Secret Service was a huge hit with me. It was a fairly dope action movie in the sense it didn't take itself too seriously, and that made the action that much more enjoyable. The church scene was utterly outrageous and Colin Firth stole the movie in my book.

Kingsman 2, which will be Matthew Vaughn's first sequel in which he directed himself, will no doubt have a bigger budget, so i am looking forward to what they can bring with the new American agents. The casting is great and i personally am glad that they have managed to get Colin Firth back in some shape or form. I can't deny though, i'm anticipating whether they can out-do that church scene.

War of the Planet of the Apes
    Spoiler:
    Show

The current Planet of the Apes series to me is a really underrated franchise in my opinion. I enjoyed the first film with James Franco but the advancements in the second film were just sublime. The apes managed to kick some ass in that second movie, so i really look forward to a full blown war with the apes and humans.

I am excited for Kong: Skull Island also.

Other comments on other films:
    Spoiler:
    Show

This year has been a fairly disappointing year in the superhero genre, with arguable only 3 of the 6 movies proving to be a decent hit with me (BvS, Suicide Squad and Xmen all disappointed). Next year however, looks to be an absolute treat and the promotional trailers thus far have done nothing but get me excited. Not including The Lego Batman, we have Logan, Guardians Vol. 2, Wonder Woman, Spiderman: Homecoming, Justice League and Thor: Ragnarok. There is also that Untitled Fox/Marvel movie but i honestly don't see how they can get it produced in time for a release next year when we haven't even heard anything about it yet.

Pirates of the Caribbean will be an interesting one, especially to see whether or not it is still the box office juggernaut that it is. We also have Transformers 5 and Fast 8, again, two other huge juggernauts at the box office. At this stage i am fairly comfortable in what to expect from Fast 8, however Transformers 5 continues to be up in the air. No doubt the trailers will intrigue me like they managed to on previous films but i can't help but feel it will be yet another cluster****.

The animation front does look slightly bland at the moment, however Pixar do have an original film called Coco that we all ought to look out for.

However 2017 will mark the return of Daniel Day Lewis, so that movie (currently Untitled) will definitely be on my watch list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Morsey_)
    Well, Hacksaw Ridge technically is released in the UK in January 2017...

I remember the 2015 thread and choosing Jurassic World, i shan't be doing something like that again.

Will edit when i have a more thorough think about it.
    I actually though Jurassic World was extremely well made in terms of writing, dialogue and generally everything. That was not something i expected on the basis of the first three however i thought it one of the few billion dollar movies to actually deserve its gross.

With so many good looking movies the box office receipts will be interesting to watch. 2015 was on steroids in terms of Avengers, Fast and Furious 7, Jurassic World and Starwars all smashing various records.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I actually though Jurassic World was extremely well made in terms of writing, dialogue and generally everything.
    Really? I found some of the dialogue and writing borderline painful. I'm with Morsey on this, that film was a massive disappointment for me.

ReputationRep:
    Away from the main event films, i've been thinking of upcoming films and whilst January is normally a crap fest for movies (I'm not expecting Assassins Creed to break any boundaries), i'm actually really looking forward to it.

Silence (latest from Scorsese)
    La La Land (not a fan of musicals but i enjoyed the trailer and there is a lot of buzz around this currently)
    Live By Night (latest from Ben Affleck)
    Manchester by the Sea (getting a lot of buzz in the States)
    Jackie (lot of Oscar buzz for Natalie Portman)

also Fences sneaks into February, with both Denzel Washington and Viola Davis shining in the recent trailers.

I have to say, 2017 is definitely looking to be a better year on all fronts. I just hope we don't get any major disappointments.

ReputationRep:
    Away from the main event films, i've been thinking of upcoming films and whilst January is normally a crap fest for movies (I'm not expecting Assassins Creed to break any boundaries), i'm actually really looking forward to it.

La La Land (not a fan of musicals but i enjoyed the trailer and there is a lot of buzz around this currently)

also Fences sneaks into February, with both Denzel Washington and Viola Davis shining in the recent trailers.

I have to say, 2017 is definitely looking to be a better year on all fronts. I just hope we don't get any major disappointments.
    Yes. Although i never had Assassin on my radar until i saw the trailer it does look great and if i push it back a week or two will give me something to watch in January (clearly one does not push Starwars back).

Yes. From July-November there was nothing worth watching in the cinema this year which is a shame. Although we get a lull in 2017 during September and October we do once again get a good end to the year. The March-August period is heaving with great films too.

ReputationRep:

A lot of Oscar buzz for Emma Stone as well (for La La Land). I assume they won't give it to Natalie because she already has one.

Silence, Spiderman: Homecoming and Star Wars VIII for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a big fan of Christopher Nolan so Dunkirk is going to be a must watch for me especially when I like war films a lot too.

Silence should be great. I loved John Wick so I'm looking forward to the seeing the sequel. There's also a Darren Aronofsky thriller in the works with one of my favourite actors, Ed Harris so that should be good.

Other than that I don't know much about new releases, I go to the cinema regularly so I just go and see a film if I like the trailer/actors in it.

ReputationRep:
    Watching Doctor Strange but the music for the Logan trailer is perfect for it. Can't wait.

ReputationRep:
    Assasins Creed pushed back to Jan 1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Assasins Creed pushed back to Jan 1st.
    That looks really good

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Although i have sadly not had the chance to see it yet (sunday at the earliest) Logan is now released and according to critical reviews is being regarded as the best X-Men movie yet. The opening weekend yielded an $85m open in the US and about double that abroad so if we allow for word of mouth (due to how well it is being received) keeping receipts up then it is looking at the ~$500m mark for its total.

ReputationRep:
    Logan is definitely the best Wolverine film (not sure about best X-men in my opinion) but I can understand why people are saying that because it's something that has never been done before X-men wise. I quite enjoyed it but it was lacking emotional pull for me for some reason and I can't quite place my finger on why yet.

I am looking forward to multiple things this year:
    • Dunkirk (I'm a massive Chris Nolan fan and the recent trailer looks amazing!)
    • Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    • Wonder Woman (I really hope DC don't mess this one up there's a lot riding on it)
    • GOTG 2 (Apparently has great reviews from screen tests)
    • Spider-man: Homecoming (Although I am expecting the usual Marvel formula so I'm not getting my hopes up massively that it'll be groundbreaking)
    • POTC: Dead men tell no tales (Interested to see if it'll be like the 1st film or as bad as the 4th)
    • Alien: Covenant
    • Beauty and the Beast (Which has been rated as about average on IMDb interestingly)
    • Get Out (Looks to be an interesting take on Psychological horror)
    • Darkest Hour (Which is about Winston Churchill)
    • The Current War (Just realising how many war related films are coming out this year)
    • The Circle
    • Song to Song
    • Call me by your name

I APOLOGISE FOR THE SIZE OF THIS POST I'VE ONLY JUST REALISED HOW BIG IT IS!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.