ReputationRep:
    Hi

I got some really bad grades today:

(All AS)

Bio: D
    Chem: D
    Maths: D
    Physics: E

These are extremely bad, really bad, I was expecting bad grades this year and i have accepted that i can only really blame myself for this due to the fact that i really have not put in the effort this year that i should have. however seeing them written down like that was a real shock to me and i now have a bit of a problem, any help that anybody would be willing to give me would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

I have spent countless hours within the past few months looking through university prospectuses, trying to find a course that i think would suit me. I have a few in mind that would be good however i cannot find a course that i really feel that i would be happy with.

I really think that in the next year i really 'knuckle down' and get the work done i can GREATLY increase the grades that i am getting, i am really after As and Bs and however hard that it may be to get them i do believe that i can.

The courses that i took this year seemed to start well however throughout the year i simply lost motivation for the subjects and i know that this really is my fault consequently i got disasterous results in january and my retakes were only a slight increase that i took in june.

I have decided that the sciences werent so much for me as i initially thought, mainly because of all of the maths that has been involved in both the chemistry and physics - i do not mind the maths as a subject in itself however the chem and phy contain some mathematical concepts that seemed to me to be harder than the maths itself!

I was considering dropping both the chemistry and the physics for next year and picking up two AS levels, this way i would finish sixth form with 4 AS levels and 2 A levels (despite ,hopefully just, the two being bad) wouldn't I?

However as i have not decided on a specific Uni course, I cannot contact a university to check whether if i got specific grades with the 4 ASs and the 2 ALs they would allow me in or not, however most unis appear to require 3 full A levels, would the 4 ASs account for anything?

I really do want to go to university, i always have and i am determined that i will yet i understand that i need to do alot of work to get into a reasonable uni.

I understand that the people gaining their A2 results today were priority to get assistance from staff and so i currently am relying on anybody on here who would be willing to give me any advice, please, anything would be appreciated

Thank You in advance

Sam

ReputationRep:
    Most unis ask for 3 A levels, so i'd do 3 A levels, and perhaps an AS, BUT ONLY IF YOU THINK YOU CAN COPE WITH THE WORKLOAD.

alternatively if you're at college you could possibly consider resitting AS levels this coming year and doing A level the following year and going to uni a year later?

Either way, treat this as a kick up the backside, but don't let it get you down. What course/unis do you want - and what grades are they asking for in the prospectus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by recneps)
    Most unis ask for 3 A levels, so i'd do 3 A levels, and perhaps an AS, BUT ONLY IF YOU THINK YOU CAN COPE WITH THE WORKLOAD.

alternatively if you're at college you could possibly consider resitting AS levels this coming year and doing A level the following year and going to uni a year later?

Either way, treat this as a kick up the backside, but don't let it get you down. What course/unis do you want - and what grades are they asking for in the prospectus?

right, but with the subjects im doing im not really happy with at all (at least 2 of them)

im at a sixth form yet we do have the option to repeat the year so that is always a possibility but i do really wish for it to be a last resort due to the fact that i really dont want to be left behind, it would be like admitting defeat effectively yet i dont want to get to the end of next year and then realise that i did the same again, and find a way to redo both years and end up wasting another year of my life

the thing is that im not sure of any courses so much.

One of the ones that i have been considering is renewable energy at exeter university, cornwall campus . They say that the typical offer is given with between ABB and BBC but this is by no means a final choice for a course.

Sam

ReputationRep:
    You really need to give yourself something to aim towards. Look at courses you *might* want to do, see what grades they need, and make that aim. Remember you're going to be applying in a few months so need to be making your mind up.

Also try ringing admissions tutors (leave it a few days though - theyll be VERY busy this week with the fallout from A2 results) and see whether they would make offers with 2A2 and 4AS.

ReputationRep:
    This was the same sort of position for me last year, I really did not enjoy the first year, I didnt really go to lessons and did not put the effort in. I ended up with the following grades.

Computing: B
    Law: C
    Business: D
    Economics: E

After this, I was shocked and at one point was going to leave college for good. However after some thought, I dropped economics and carried on with computing, law and business, I picked up Geography at AS as at my college you had to do 4 subjects, however throughout my second year, did not really focus any effort on it at all, it was only to fill the time table and fufil my contract with the college.

With hard work and a number of re-sits, today I collected by results and got the following:

Business: A
    Law: B

All at A2 and enough to study Law next year at Uni. I would suggest that you spend the next week thinking about your options and be prepared to work hard next year, if you do, it will all pay off in the end. I am very happy with my results, considering my first year!

Good Luck !

ReputationRep:
    You really need to give yourself something to aim towards. Look at courses you *might* want to do, see what grades they need, and make that aim. Remember you're going to be applying in a few months so need to be making your mind up.

Also try ringing admissions tutors (leave it a few days though - theyll be VERY busy this week with the fallout from A2 results) and see whether they would make offers with 2A2 and 4AS.

Thanks Recneps, ive got tonnes of prospectuses so am going to have a look through them - this really is an eye-opener for me and i know ive got to do it now

admissions tutors? - would they be like careers advisors??? sorry just never heard of them or are they the people who organise admissions within the unis themselves?

Thanks

Sam

ReputationRep:
    Sam, that's what I did also, went to see a career adviser as soon as and set a path to aim for, which for me was a Law Degree. It works, if you have an aim to work for, you are always going to work that little bit harder, then if you have no aim, then what really is the point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 05NicholsonS)
    This was the same sort of position for me last year, I really did not enjoy the first year, I didnt really go to lessons and did not put the effort in. I ended up with the following grades.

Law: C
    Business: D
    Economics: E

After this, I was shocked and at one point was going to leave college for good. However after some thought, I dropped economics and carried on with computing, law and business, I picked up Geography at AS as at my college you had to do 4 subjects, however throughout my second year, did not really focus any effort on it at all, it was only to fill the time table and fufil my contract with the college.

With hard work and a number of re-sits, today I collected by results and got the following:

Business: A
    Law: B

All at A2 and enough to study Law next year at Uni. I would suggest that you spend the next week thinking about your options and be prepared to work hard next year, if you do, it will all pay off in the end. I am very happy with my results, considering my first year!

Good Luck !

Wow, thats quite an improvement!

and congratulations!

The thing is though, the chemistry, i just simply have not enjoyed this year and the Physics i enjoy alot yet i really do struggle with the maths involved.

The Maths and biology i definitely want to continue, i think i would be much better off dropping both of them yet my sixth form requires me to take at least three and as Recneps says, most unis require three dont they?

I really do not want to do an extra year at sixth form and i want to move onto uni after year 13 but if i was to drop the two and then pick up just a single AS i would still only finish with 2 full A levels but then i would have the 3 AS levels, however the two i have received the results for today are really bad (i woul drop the results of a D and an E)

theyre more or less worthless aren't they and even if they are not im definitely not satisfied with them

Thanks

Sam

ReputationRep:
    Admissions tutors are the people responsible for giving out offers at the unis. They're also there to advise you with your application to that uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 05NicholsonS)
    Sam, that's what I did also, went to see a career adviser as soon as and set a path to aim for, which for me was a Law Degree. It works, if you have an aim to work for, you are always going to work that little bit harder, then if you have no aim, then what really is the point?
    Thanks 05nicholsonS, ur definitely right, i have the aim for uni always have wanted to go, however without a specific aim for specific grades, i dont know what im aiming for and have really let it slip, im just going to talk to as many people as i can, get as many opinions on what i should do and read the prospectuses i have and at least get some sort of idea as to the grades i am going to need to do what i want to do in later life.

As for the actual idea as to what to drop and what i should pick up, would you think that the unis that i am considering their courses (im sure that makes sense lol) or a careers advisor (such as connexions or something) would be the best person to ask?

Thanks again,

Sam

ReputationRep:
    Admissions tutors are the people responsible for giving out offers at the unis. They're also there to advise you with your application to that uni.

Got it Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to both of you, you've been really helpful and i really appreciate it

Sam

ReputationRep:
    No problem. Sorry I could not keep pace with the post. I wish you the best of luck for your future studies, I am sure you will do well.

ReputationRep:
    No problem sam... any time. Good luck

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.