Turn on thread page Beta

shall i get rid of my social media?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I'm a student in year 13, hoping to get into university for 2017 entry. The purpose of this thread is for assistance and opinions on whether I should get rid of all my social media (Facebook, Tumblr, Snapchat, Instagram) so i can become less addicted and spend less time on it, and focus more on my studies. Has anyone else does this and believe it was a positive or know anyone else?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You'll definitely have more focus. Imagine all the wasted time you've spent on social media when you could have been learning something.
    The only reason to post anything on social media is for attention, plain and simple. Messaging/chatting is fine, but actively posting things on facebook and instagram is a massive waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    Hey!

I'm a student in year 13, hoping to get into university for 2017 entry. The purpose of this thread is for assistance and opinions on whether I should get rid of all my social media (Facebook, Tumblr, Snapchat, Instagram) so i can become less addicted and spend less time on it, and focus more on my studies. Has anyone else does this and believe it was a positive or know anyone else?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I doubt it would make a difference cause it depends on how determined you are!

You can study constantly..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luneth)
    You'll definitely have more focus. Imagine all the wasted time you've spent on social media when you could have been learning something.
    The only reason to post anything on social media is for attention, plain and simple. Messaging/chatting is fine, but actively posting things on facebook and instagram is a massive waste of time.
    This is exactly what I was thinking, hmm yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Habina786xx)
    I doubt it would make a difference cause it depends on how determined you are!

You can study constantly..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I could, but I easily get distracted, if i was to receive a notification my mind was just be completely off work and cause me to procrastinate. I believe I should, either way, there shouldn't really be a loss?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    Hey!

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can, but it probably won't be very effective. FaceBook for example has a 4 week period I think where you can automatically log in again and reactivate your account. And even if you manage to withstand that duration, it doesn't take long to or much effort to make a new one.

Just control your social media usage.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it
    I'm doing it too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    I could, but I easily get distracted, if i was to receive a notification my mind was just be completely off work and cause me to procrastinate. I believe I should, either way, there shouldn't really be a loss?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why dont you just switch off your notifications and give yourself set times to check your phone? Ive tried both (deleting everything, and just turning off notifications) and turning off notifications is definitely the best thing to do - this way you're still mainly focused on your studies, but then during breaks you still have stuff to do and its a stress relief (instead of having no apps to go to) ygm.

Hope that helped aha but defo just turn of notifications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greys-anatomy)
    Why dont you just switch off your notifications and give yourself set times to check your phone? Ive tried both (deleting everything, and just turning off notifications) and turning off notifications is definitely the best thing to do - this way you're still mainly focused on your studies, but then during breaks you still have stuff to do and its a stress relief (instead of having no apps to go to) ygm.

Hope that helped aha but defo just turn of notifications
    yeah i do get it, but lmao they've been removed already so yeah, thanks though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, it will be one of the most liberating things you've ever done! #Moooose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    Hey!

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm surprised to see you use tumblr, not many do. But good luck with that:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought about doing the same thing, but I think it's easier to just use apps like Cold Turkey(pc) or FocusNow(iPhone) that restrict your usage. You could always use distraction to your advantage with spaced repetition- but whatever suits you is best!

ReputationRep:
    I have mostly but apparently from what i've heard alot of university societies and other things are usually discussed on facebook so maybe only keep that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retro_turtles)
    I have mostly but apparently from what i've heard alot of university societies and other things are usually discussed on facebook so maybe only keep that?
    yeah, i was only planning to not use/have social media until my last exam was done - around end of June.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I usually just put my phone on flight mode when I study and switch my laptop off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    yeah, i was only planning to not use/have social media until my last exam was done - around end of June.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh right fair enough

ReputationRep:
    I will be in year 13 too and I decided to limit myself on social platforms, however sometimes i find facebook useful as I am informed about what's happening around me.
    Just try to limit yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byaakun)
    I'm surprised to see you use tumblr, not many do. But good luck with that:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    tumblr was my life

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to delete your accounts lest you be tempted to create new ones all over again. I recommend you change your passwords to something you cannot ever remember and have it e-mailed to you by someone or by a service/script after a few months. That way you can have more peace-of-mind that you'll have access to the accounts at a later date and not have so much of a desire to create new ones again.

Also, TSR could be a distraction from your studies too, for me I spend more time on TSR than I ever have on Facebook, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trevish)
    I will be in year 13 too and I decided to limit myself on social platforms, however sometimes i find facebook useful as I am informed about what's happening around me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Like what? I'm curious to know what's happening around you too!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.