Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I had approached my daughter's head teacher asking politely to get some classroom experience from now until next summer. I explained I work Mondays & Tuesdays but would be free the other 3 days. They paid for my PVG which finally came back a few days ago.
    The head phoned me today offering me Friday mornings (one period with one class and the other period with another).
    It IS a very small school (only 5 classes) so maybe I was just expecting too much, maybe she's just seeing how i get on first, or should i just be glad of what i can get and look around for more hours at another school too?!

P.

ReputationRep:
    I'd contact other places - it's not as though you're invisible while there so I think one morning a week is fair. Plus experience in a variety of schools is proving really useful to me personally (PCET PGCE / Secondary SCITT candidate) as I feel I can reflect on the differences in environments and teaching methods

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I agree with mooamymoo; I've had to get experience in quite a few schools in order to make up the required amount. I think its the norm for schools to limited the time you're in school - one school told me that they get so many requests for work experience that they have to ration it! I spent most of last year juggling two different schools, along with uni; I also tutored in a school for a charity, which was a great experience, and I would recommend it to everyone. It means you get to experience different schools and get a broader understanding of teaching; which can only be a good thing!

ReputationRep:
    Contact other schools, but once you've started, there's also no harm in asking for more time if it's available. It may be that they're inundated with requests like this and so they can't offer you more time, particularly as it is such a small school. Large schools will take any suitable volunteers they can get for as much time as they are willing to give up - I would certainly love to have a volunteer with me! To gain experience for my PGCE, I gave up my job and worked full time in a three form entry school as a volunteer from the end of April all the way up to the end of the academic year. With 27 classes, they had no problems with this and were still able to offer experience to other more short term volunteers.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.