Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, today I got my AS Level results, and I got:

Psychology: C ---1 marks from a B!!
    Geography: C ---Decent C; 4 from a B

However I then got a U in physics which I just got to accept but I also got an extremely surprising U in ICT as was surprising for a lot of other AS people.

Before the exam in my OCR GCE Applied ICT coursework I was told I am marked as C and a B so I was heading for a B if my test went ok or a C/D at least overall.
    However today I got U in everything in ICT in both two coursework’s and the exam so I’m like wtf?? My teachers were unsure how I got U’s too!!

I want to do Human Geography in University so I’m two A2 Levels taking Geography and Psychology for A2 then probably AS Sociology as an extra AS.

I'm like confused now as what shall I do as then ill need to stay on a 3rd yr to just do sociology A2 on its own to get 3 A2’s, unless the university just asks for UCAS points and not "3 A levels".
    Although my school said they won't let me do sociology A2 on its own for a 3rd yr so to get a decent UCAS tariff of 300 ill needs AA and an A in AS sociology too!
    So is there any advice please?

ReputationRep:
    1) Don't post in text language, it's difficult to understand and is also against the rules.

2) If you can repost what you mean in this thread, and try and make things a little bit clearer, I may be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies It's all updated now in english though without the text language.

ReputationRep:
    OK, when you fill in your UCAS application, you will have to tell them you got U in ICT and Physics, and also that you are studying AS Sociology.

If you're Personal Statement is outstanding (once you've got a draft sorted, feel free to ask for the PS Helper team to have a look over it in the appropriate sub forum of the Ask a PS Helper forum), the university may offer you a points based offer instead of grades, however, you're going to have to realistically look at applying to universites which only offer point based offers.

Currently you have 209 UMS in Psychology and 206 UMS in Geography. If you do equally well in the A2 examinations and do not take any resits (although you should consider resitting modules which could be improved upon), you will have 418 UMS in Psychology (Grade C) and 412 in Geography (Grade C). That will amount to 160 UCAS points.

You should ideally look for unis offering 300 UCAS points for their typical offer. Or at least that's what I'd do.

To be fair, I think that the best person to advise you on how to continue is your personal tutor at your college, as they will understand your academic potential and alternative choices better than I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Rules)
    No txt spk
    Do not use text speak or CAPITALS.
    When a user registers on TSR, they agree to adhere to the rules and Terms of Service which are enforced by the site.
    If you are unsure of the rules (which it appears you are), you can read them again by clicking here, or the "Rules" link beneath the forum logo.

Users cannot give advice if the post is difficult to understand. It's a simple fact. If a post is unintelligable, then any advice offered will be based purely on guess work on the facts.

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks for the help deej, guess it's not all bad, i'll just concentrate really hard now and there are quite good uni's that only ask for something like 280 points and above.
    I probably will ask for psychology to be remarked too since I was 1 mark from a B and resit ICT in jan by resubmitting my coursework.
    Thanks, Min.

ReputationRep:
    OK, when you fill in your UCAS application, you will have to tell them you got U in ICT and Physics, and also that you are studying AS Sociology.
    What about declining the grade?
    Sure, it might not look as good when you decline the grade than having a clear cut good grade but if you are going to fill in a U, E or D then you may aswel decline the grade and leave the grade for the subject as pending.

I really do hope that declining the grade will not make an individual look too bad, I for one will have to decline two grades (both achieved a D) but I have a good set of GCSE grades and can hopefully persuade my teachers in predicting me good grades, do i still stand in good stead for a university offer despite having a question mark over my AS result and presuming i have a good personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cristiano12)
    What about declining the grade?
    Sure, it might not look as good when you decline the grade than having a clear cut good grade but if you are going to fill in a U, E or D then you may aswel decline the grade and leave the grade for the subject as pending.

I really do hope that declining the grade will not make an individual look too bad, I for one will have to decline two grades (both achieved a D) but I have a good set of GCSE grades and can hopefully persuade my teachers in predicting me good grades, do i still stand in good stead for a university offer despite having a question mark over my AS result and presuming i have a good personal statement?
    I know very little about declining grades as I've never done it.

Maybe someone else can offer some advice on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MPK)
    Hey thanks for the help deej, guess it's not all bad, i'll just concentrate really hard now and there are quite good uni's that only ask for something like 280 points and above.
    I probably will ask for psychology to be remarked too since I was 1 mark from a B and resit ICT in jan by resubmitting my coursework.
    Thanks, Min.
    Yeah, if you put your nose to the grindstone over the next year, you should be able to pull it off, but it will require alot of hard work.

But, yes, as I said, speak to a tutor at your college for some more personalised advice. It'll all fall into place eventually, even if it doesn't seem like it will at the minute

ReputationRep:
    Declining?? does tht mean I don't accept the grade and the U won't show on my UCAS App Form?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the grade will not be shown on UCAS and will only appear as pending.
    Theres a stickied thread about declining your grade:

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=286788

ReputationRep:
    getting u's is abit harsh!

ReputationRep:
    It's ICT thats harsh, the teacher sends it of saying I've done good enough to get a C and B then OCR marks it and gives U, so annoying, if the teacher told me I could have improved it in time, but no he said i've got a C and B...

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'd definitely get that checked because I do the same course as you, and although mine was all ok and as the teacher had said (got a B woo!), someone elses in the class wasn't, and so they may have made a mistake somewhere. Ask your teacher to investigate it maybe? Especially if it's affected others as well.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.