Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    First some background, I got a string of A*s and A's at GCSEs, and A's at AS. I want to do physics at uni for the sake of it and I want to move out within 75 miles from Leeds roughly speaking. Only because I have orthodontist appointments tbh (every 2 months) and instead of transferring I feel more comfortable to stay with them.

I visited Hull and I kind of did fall in love with the city, the uni is really nice and small, and this is weird but I hate prestige and silly traditions. Choosing colleges just makes life harder. I don't know why. I'm really glad I never applied for Oxbridge. So yeah it was small, not many people, peaceful and I loved that. When I stayed over in just Oxford for a day I felt overwhelmed and like the dumbest person there. And I was meant to be with all the public school people who aren't supposed to be posh (they still were). I'm digressing now but I just want to be somewhere where there's nice people and where it's not pressure intensive.

But I was concerned Hulls entry requirements are only CCB-BBB, what if I'm undermining myself by going there? Everyone there put hull as their reserve or went through clearing so what if I don't fit in? What if the degree is slightly easy for me? Or is that better because then I can get a first which looks really good? Because I do want a first. What would I be missing out on by going to a uni with low entry requirements?

Please suggest other universities I could apply for too, I still want to visit other places.

Other uni I'm seriously considering is Loughborough, Liverpool and Royal Holloway (it's far but if it's worth it then why not).

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would not restrict yourself to 75 km based on orthodontist appointments, which happen every 2 months. Heck even if they were monthly, I don't think that is a good enough reason to restrict yourself so much. Entry requirements are not the be all and end all - but at the same time, if you can get really good grades, you may prefer to be surrounded by others who also get those grades - and be taught material catered to those of a certain academic ability. They usually do translate into degrees which are more sought after in the market as well.

ReputationRep:
    I think you would find the course too easy and depending on your career plans it could hold you back. Generic grad schemes (to my knowledge) don't pick and choose based on university too much but for competitive career paths it could be that where your degree comes from will affect the choice.

I think orthodonist appointments every two months are not worth changing your university for. You can either travel once every 2 months (probably 3-4 of those appointments can be timed to coincide with the holidays anyway each year) or swap orthodontist. Your degree and the choice of uni will have a lot more of an effect on your life.

Incidentally I went to loughborough and would recommend it, especially if you prefer somewhere smaller.

ReputationRep:
    Just stay in Leeds then?
    Don't go to Hull, you would find it easy. Most people of your calibre always go to top 10 unis, don't limit yourself just because of the orthodontist appointments.

ReputationRep:
    Any reason why you are not considering Manchester or Sheffield? Whilst the feel of the uni and the city where its located is important you also have to consider employability after you finish your degree - that's where the low entry requirements come in. Better university generally equates to better job prospects.

ReputationRep:
    What about York? Thats not too far from Leeds

ReputationRep:
    Well thank you guys. Guess I am being a bit silly really regarding appointments.
    I would definitely just feel undermined going to a Uni which only expects 2 C's from me. It was a nice city though.

ReputationRep:
    In reality, if you're planning on a career requiring a degree it's best to go somewhere with reasonable prestige. Doesn't mean it has to be a really top uni but a decent one.

ReputationRep:
    mashbbk I entirely agree - please don't base you entire career and future prospects on a few appointments for dodgy teeth!

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham
    Leicester
    Manchester
    Liverpool
    Birmingham
    Durham
    Lancaster
    And that's no disrespect to Hull, the facilities weren't great but it had an extremely friendly atmosphere and new astronomy faculty team so lot of positive, however the first year might be wasted for you there as they bring everyone up to common ground

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.