Turn on thread page Beta

Dismissal from work during probationary period - advice needed! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

In September, my parter was taken on as a member of staff by Lush and was overjoyed - she had been obsessed with this brand for years and has used their products often. At first, she made a few mistakes as anyone does when new, but over the past 4 - 5 weeks, she felt as though she had came on leaps and bounds and was being praised by employees in work as to how well she was doing.

Last Wednesday, she was taken into the office for a "probationary review", which turned out to be "you're sacked". The reasons, as listed in the minutes, were for a few mistakes (missed sales) which occurred over 6 weeks ago and since then, she has made many sales.

The two main reasons she was dismissed for, were because she was given the wrong advice on what to do by managers themselves, but this has been left out of the minutes so it looks as though she admitted all fault, where as in fact she had pointed out she was only following orders.

This seems really unfair and I know there's probably nothing she can do about it, but it surprised me that a company that base themselves on ethics as strongly as LUSH could treat an employee so badly. In all my years of working for various companies, new members of staff are sat down and talk through points which they need to work on, given strategies on how to achieve their targets and this is then reviewed?

Anyway, rant over!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you're right there's nothing she can do about it.Unfortunately this is probably not coming from Lush but rather they have hired a poor manager and probably no one responsible for the moral image of the brand has any idea what is happening on the shop floor. It's also possible your partner made more mistakes than she thought or that she simply didn't fit in with some of the other staff and they used this as an excuse.
    As far as general practice... yeah in a 'proper' job you'd expect proper training and for the organisation to make an effort to bring you up to scratch and improve any performance issues - but in a shop it's probably just as easy to call the other person they interviewed and see if they're already good enough. It's not the sort of job where the organisation will be investing huge amounts of time in their staff.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.