The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
donated already? You say that as if everyone will at some point...

I haven't, and I probably won't at all. Partly because I can't pay online, but if that was the only reason, I'd have got off my arse and found a way around that.

So I guess I'm just selfish.
Reply 2
ARCHK0VEN
I'm just curious to who has donated any- and how much? do you intend to?

Whats that quote from the bible about not going round saying how good you are for doing charitable acts??
I thought this was going to be a discussion about the actual crisis...
W.
Reply 3
wonderboy
Whats that quote from the bible about not going round saying how good you are for doing charitable acts??
I thought this was going to be a discussion about the actual crisis...
W.

I think it's in reference to the sticky thread at the top of the page, which is locked.
Reply 4
Yes I just posed the question to confirm my initial beliefs that most of us are pretentious. I wonder the person who posted that sticky thread about donating has actually donated himself.

Why does it take something major like this to make us realise? The extremity of the crisis could have been prevented
Reply 5
i not telling you! :biggrin: .........for religious reasons of course! :rolleyes:
Reply 6
ARCHK0VEN
Yes I just posed the question to confirm my initial beliefs that most of us are pretentious. I wonder the person who posted that sticky thread about donating has actually donated himself.

Why does it take something major like this to make us realise? The extremity of the crisis could have been prevented

yes i have donated but i just dont feel the need to point it out
Reply 7
ARCHK0VEN

even if he didn't donate i think credit should be given to him for starting the thread!...........and he probably did donate! :smile:
Reply 8
Hayley...
donated already? You say that as if everyone will at some point...

I haven't, and I probably won't at all. Partly because I can't pay online, but if that was the only reason, I'd have got off my arse and found a way around that.

So I guess I'm just selfish.

Hayley, I shall leave you with just these words.

First they came for the Jews

and I did not speak out--

because I was not a Jew

Then they came for the communists

because I was not a communist

Then they came for the trade unionists--

because I was not a trade unionist

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak for me
Reply 9
surely its not up to individuals to donate money they have worked for when some countries do nothing to help Sudan.
I'm sure he has. Whether or not many other people have remains to be seen, I guess.

I am torn when it comes to charity. Of course it helps people and is really quite vital, but you're right, why does it have to get to crisis point before people give a damn? And why should charity exist to make people feel better about themselves and their lot?

For me, this particular issue hasn't moved me that much, I'm sorry to say. Reading the (very emotive) reports have upset me, but not motivated me to do anything about it. Plus I'm very aware that other places are in similar situations, so why should the place that gets the most media coverage be the one hogging all the aid, as it were. Finally, I'm just not a very charitable person. I can't help that.
Reply 11
Are you saying that everyone in the world is a Jew, communist, or trade unionist? :smile:

You have to play the hand you were dealt with, and unfortunately the folks in Sudan have been given a rotten hand. I am not sure if the rules say we can swap cards though... Best ask the rule makers.

W.
muncrun
Hayley, I shall leave you with just these words.

First they came for the Jews

because I was not a Jew

Then they came for the communists

because I was not a communist

Then they came for the trade unionists--

because I was not a trade unionist

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak for me

So, you're doing everything you can to help, I take it?
Reply 13
Hayley...
So, you're doing everything you can to help, I take it?

For your information, I am.
Reply 14
wonderboy
Are you saying that everyone in the world is a Jew, communist, or trade unionist? :smile:

You have to play the hand you were dealt with, and unfortunately the folks in Sudan have been given a rotten hand. I am not sure if the rules say we can swap cards though... Best ask the rule makers.

W.

If ill circumstances were to befall you I can only assume you would not expect help from anyone.
muncrun
For your information, I am.

So you'll be flying out there to do your bit? Downsizing and selling your computer to raise that extra bit of cash?
Sorry, I'm taking it a bit far, but if the coverage hasn't moved me to act, then I can't help that. I certainly won't be donating anything because you've tried to guilt trip me into helping. Some of the causes that cause my heart to twinge and motivate you probably won't bother the majority of people.

You can't help everyone, and I'm certainly not about to try to.
Reply 16
muncrun
If ill circumstances were to befall you I can only assume you would not expect help from anyone.

I think you misunderstood my post...

How can we help these people out if we don't know what is going on before it is too late? Our governments know very well what is going on (they are our rulemakers)...
Reply 17
i just love it when i make a commen and everyone just ignores it, maybe its because what i say is total rubish? i dont know.
Reply 18
Hayley...
I'm sure he has. Whether or not many other people have remains to be seen, I guess.

I am torn when it comes to charity. Of course it helps people and is really quite vital, but you're right, why does it have to get to crisis point before people give a damn? And why should charity exist to make people feel better about themselves and their lot?

For me, this particular issue hasn't moved me that much, I'm sorry to say. Reading the (very emotive) reports have upset me, but not motivated me to do anything about it. Plus I'm very aware that other places are in similar situations, so why should the place that gets the most media coverage be the one hogging all the aid, as it were. Finally, I'm just not a very charitable person. I can't help that.

I agree
Reply 19
james101
i just love it when i make a commen and everyone just ignores it, maybe its because what i say is total rubish? i dont know.

Do you need all the money you work for though?
These people's main aim is to live...
Maybe communism is the answer :tongue:

W.

Latest

Trending

Trending