Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just started at hull university this year, and so far I'm finding it really hard to settle in and I'm not enjoying my course. I kind of rushed into making a university decision, I wasn't sure at all what I wanted to be or wanted to study, but I thought my job prospects would be best if I had a degree. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder and since coming to university it's become worse. I've been having panic attacks during some lectures and almost all my practical sessions, and I've got to the point that I'm too afraid to go into lectures, but then I feel worried about missing so many of them as I'm already really behind on my work. A lot of the time I end up lying in bed crying for hours, I don't know whether I should drop out or not, I feel too shy to seek out help and most people I've talked to have suggested I stick at it another couple of weeks. I'm also worried about what I'd do if I dropped out, I'm worried about my family being ashamed of me and coming out with a big dept despite not getting any qualifications from uni. All I really want in life is to be happy and have a job that earns enough to have an individual life. Thank you for taking your time to read this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonlite386)
    Hi, I've just started at hull university this year, and so far I'm finding it really hard to settle in and I'm not enjoying my course. I kind of rushed into making a university decision, I wasn't sure at all what I wanted to be or wanted to study, but I thought my job prospects would be best if I had a degree. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder and since coming to university it's become worse. I've been having panic attacks during some lectures and almost all my practical sessions, and I've got to the point that I'm too afraid to go into lectures, but then I feel worried about missing so many of them as I'm already really behind on my work. A lot of the time I end up lying in bed crying for hours, I don't know whether I should drop out or not, I feel too shy to seek out help and most people I've talked to have suggested I stick at it another couple of weeks. I'm also worried about what I'd do if I dropped out, I'm worried about my family being ashamed of me and coming out with a big dept despite not getting any qualifications from uni. All I really want in life is to be happy and have a job that earns enough to have an individual life. Thank you for taking your time to read this
    Good luck moonlight. my first instinct would be to say to stick with it, but if you really don't enjoy it and it is bringing you down, this may be a mistake. Ultimately you have to do what is right for you. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonlite386)
    I had gone throught this previously when i ended the12th year in school and I had to choose what i will study . I spent a whole year after that just thinking about what to study and which uni . I felt sad and depressed because my friends went to uni exept me . I started to set my own goals and what I want to achieve , I determined what i really love . I didnt care for anyone opinion and tried hard trying to achieve what I want . Now I am stdying what I want and what I really enjoying it in the uni I wanted with the good people i met ..

So my advice to you is try to set your goals and identify what you really really want , dont care for anyone even your family , this is your own life , so built it as you like ..

Hope that will help

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.