Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wish to go into translation after I graduate.

I have an A-level in German, but have the opportunity to study ab-initio Italian as 50%.
    Would it be best to focus on German and spend my year abroad entirely in Germany or split my time between both?

(If I did German, I'd have to do another subject at 25% but this would take up less of my time).

Or would it be better to hedge my bets and study both?

ReputationRep:
    Snufkin is usually good with these types of questions
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    You certainly shouldn't take up another language just for the sake of it; you need to like your subject or else you won't learn much. But if you do like Italian then I think you should do it - most people I know who've taken a single language degree tell me they wish they'd combined it with another language or a non-humanities subject, just so they had another string to their bow.

You will only spend around a quarter of your time learning languages, the rest of your time is spent studying the literature, politics, history and culture associated with the countries where you language(s) are spoken. So whether you take Italian or not, your German language skills will in all likelihood be the same. As for the year abroad, I don't think spending half the year in Germany opposed to the full year will stop you becoming a translator. If you want to spend more time in Germany then do a summer school at a German university.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.