Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I know this is only a decision I can make but I'm not sure what to do. I've been at uni for more than a month, I was supposed to go last year but things didn't go as planned so took a gap year. I'm not enjoying it at all, everyone has seemed to have made their group of friends except me? I talk to people in lectures but haven't made proper friends. Also I feel like I'm not learning anything as the lecturers just read through the powerpoints without explaining much and then we are given loads of assignments to do.

I'm not sure if its just uni in general I don't like or a combination of not enjoying the work and the social side of it. I wouldn't want to go through the stress of applying again next year for a different uni/course because then I'll be 2 years behind. I commute to the uni I'm currently at and this is is a 2 hour journey so it is also very tiring. I want a degree and I don't think apprenticeships etc would be right for me so I don't know if I should just pull through? All my friends outside of uni seem to enjoy uni apart from the workload etc.

Any advice?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    My advice to you is to see how the first year goes, then in the 2nd year you could consider doing a flat share or finding your own place to live.

I understand how you feel, not having friends is terrible but remember this is only the first month, you still have plenty of time to meet people either through clubs or societies. I actually met some of my friends by travelling home and bumping to them on the train. Perhaps you can use the journey home to study? The lecture slides may not be useful but you can still extract some information and learn from online research. It might just be you're telling yourself you hate it, give it a go for the rest of the year but if you really want a degree you'll have to work for it. As you said,no use falling behind by 2 years either.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the exact same position, except I haven't taken a gap year

Ive tried my hardest but haven't made any 'proper' friends, whilst clubs and societies looks pretty hopeless too

the course and the uni itself is good but im far from home and because of all the group work thats required, my course 'mates' are making it super difficult. I know I'm unhappy and although I probably will eventually make friends in second year, I still have no one to rent a house with and am generally unhappy with where I am and what I wanted uni to be like which has lead to an overwhelming sense that this just isn't the place for me

although I enjoy the independence, I'm still far from home which makes it more difficult and I think a new course at a new uni closer to home will be best

this is especially since staying for the rest of the year will be very costly and I have a friend who dropped out of uni a few weeks ago for the exact same reason as me, so I'm pretty sure its the right option

everyone on here will shout 'stay' and whilst its sensible advise, especially in your case as you've taken a gap year, only you know you're situation so you'll just have to go with your gut, which is what I'm doing
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by n.s.k98)
    Hi,

I know this is only a decision I can make but I'm not sure what to do. I've been at uni for more than a month, I was supposed to go last year but things didn't go as planned so took a gap year. I'm not enjoying it at all, everyone has seemed to have made their group of friends except me? I talk to people in lectures but haven't made proper friends. Also I feel like I'm not learning anything as the lecturers just read through the powerpoints without explaining much and then we are given loads of assignments to do.

I'm not sure if its just uni in general I don't like or a combination of not enjoying the work and the social side of it. I wouldn't want to go through the stress of applying again next year for a different uni/course because then I'll be 2 years behind. I commute to the uni I'm currently at and this is is a 2 hour journey so it is also very tiring. I want a degree and I don't think apprenticeships etc would be right for me so I don't know if I should just pull through? All my friends outside of uni seem to enjoy uni apart from the workload etc.

Any advice?
    Hello,

Indeed it is only a decision that you can make, however, I'd say set yourself goals, get to Christmas, then Easter and what not and try and finish your First Year and get your credits from that. Just try and stick it out till then and see how you feel.

University, at the end of the day, is about studying. Sure, it's nice to have and make friends and seeing as you're only a month in, you have plenty of time to make friends. Just keep doing what you're doing and talking to people in your lectures/seminars, ask people if they want to grab a drink or study or what not - I understand living two hours away can make that a little harder but always worth a shot!

As for the lectures and not getting a lot from them - it's annoying but lectures and university is about independent study and the lectures should just be a starting point for you to then go off and further your knowledge. However I understand if you aren't getting that spark from lectures, it isn't helping. I'd suggest talking to your lecturers and explaining how you feel and see what they suggest.

Either way, stick it out till the end of first year and see how you feel.

Good luck!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.