Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As a first year, lectures are obviously very different to class learning. I started off trying to take notes in the lecture, as I would in class, only to find the lecturer had already moved on to something else, meaning I missed a lot of content and my notes were also rushed and incomplete.

I find taking notes helps me to remember things, but I can't seem to do it in lectures without missing things...

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to learn from lectures?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Normally you should be able to access the slides online if they are uploaded after the lecture has been given to catch up on notes or either politely ask the lecturer to slow down when you get a minute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08hussainf)
    Normally you should be able to access the slides online if they are uploaded after the lecture has been given to catch up on notes or either politely ask the lecturer to slow down when you get a minute.
    Thanks, yeah we can access the slides online, but obviously they're not as well tailored to me as my own notes would be... And the slides don't come with the lecturer's explanations so are difficult to make good notes from :/

ReputationRep:
    Make a note of the slide number, then make notes of what the lecturer is saying. When you have free time, compile your notes from the lecturer and the content on the slides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luneth)
    Make a note of the slide number, then make notes of what the lecturer is saying. When you have free time, compile your notes from the lecturer and the content on the slides.
    That sounds like it could work, it would save me writing out information that's already provided I guess...

I'll give that a go, thanks

If anyone has other tips I'm all ears

ReputationRep:
    Use your phone to record the lecture

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps just listen very actively and try to understand what the lecturer is teaching. Then maybe the slides will make sense. Also, just write down what you think is important from what the lecturer is saying then combine it later with the slides. Alternatively, print off the slides before the lecture and annotate them during the lecture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.