Is a graphing calculator necessary for the Core34 exam?

Watch
Firerose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey, I'm taking the Core34 exam this summer 2017 and saw that a graphing calculator is allowed. This calculators are expensive and I was wondering if they make a big difference in the exam?

Thanks ahead of time to those who answer.
B_9710
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As far as i'm aware, as long as they haven't changed the rules recently, you are allowed a graphical calculator, it is not necessary for the exam but may help you if you struggle with curve sketching.
You're not allowed a calculator for C1 though.
Firerose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The question is though, does the calculator help with your speed at taking the exam? Or just not worth it...
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Firerose)
The question is though, does the calculator help with your speed at taking the exam? Or just not worth it...
Depends how good you are with the content.
Naruke
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, yes. You can check whether you have the correct solutions to a trig equation, you can check whether you've applied correct transformations to a modulus graph, same with differentiation and integration.

You can also code the binomial formula into the calculators

and you can store notes and formulae that you may forget

you can also install games so when you finish early, you can play snakes
DarkEnergy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Naruke)
and you can store notes and formulae that you may forget
Isn't this cheating? I have a graphical calculator and my maths teacher reset it before each maths exam but nobody cared about it for physics & chemistry though, so someone could easily do this if they wanted to.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, I'm taking the Core34 exam this summer 2017 and saw that a graphing calculator is allowed. This calculators are expensive and I was wondering if they make a big difference in the exam?

It is not necessary and of only marginal benefit.
Most of the advantages for checking answers are offered by the casio 991 ES plus.
Naruke
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DarkEnergy)
Isn't this cheating? I have a graphical calculator and my maths teacher reset it before each maths exam but nobody cared about it for physics & chemistry though, so someone could easily do this if they wanted to.
My invigilators are rubbish and don't even know what a graphical calculator is
Izzie1234567
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some people find it makes things quicker but if you already understand what's going on there's not much point.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I use a graphical calculator. Doing C3&4 this year (edexcel). My teacher says that you don't need them, because you have to know what the original graphs look like. But her argument for using them is that it saves you time (e.g. on mine there's a quadratic solving operation etc.) You can sketch inverses, calculate roots and intercepts etc. which also helps to check your answer is correct. So not necessary, but very useful/helpful.
username1893177
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ditto what most people have already said. It's useful, but not necessary.

I used mine in one of my exams (can't remember which, might have been FP2) to check the shape of a graph, and it reminded me that the range was restricted - which everyone else forgot.

I used it in the C3 and 4 exams to check my answers (eg. for roots and stuff, if you plot the graph the calculator will tell you the approximate roots). You can just as easily check them on a normal calculator though.

Tbh, imo if you're not taking stats modules (when a graphical calculator is so helpful) I wouldn't say it's worth buying one. The best thing about them is that you can programme tetris and snake onto them

(Could you maybe borrow one?)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (426)
56.57%
I don't have everything I need (327)
43.43%

Watched Threads