Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So we have Talktalk WiFi at home...I know...what a joke! Anyways, my parents have blocked "Gaming" on the "Safe settings". It's also very disappointing it's started blocking my PS4. Is there any way around this?
    I've tried the DNS changes and even using a work VPN service (not sure if I need to be added into the AD group to access the VPN though) - also if I do does anyone know what I would add the PS4 as into the AD group?
    Many thanks for all help!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by worldroadtrip)
    So we have Talktalk WiFi at home...I know...what a joke! Anyways, my parents have blocked "Gaming" on the "Safe settings". It's also very disappointing it's started blocking my PS4. Is there any way around this?
    I've tried the DNS changes and even using a work VPN service (not sure if I need to be added into the AD group to access the VPN though) - also if I do does anyone know what I would add the PS4 as into the AD group?
    Many thanks for all help!
    That's a pain! Could you not ask your parents to just unblock gaming? I assume they know you have a PS4, and wouldn't want something so expensive to go to waste just because of a silly setting.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Is this an issue with your router settings or with TalkTalk themselves? Because the title says TalkTalk but your post suggests your parents have just blocked a setting.

If you're able to get into the router settings you should be able to unblock gaming yourself. I have no idea why anyone would realisitically even have an option in their router to block gaming, let alone why anyone would use it. There are more effective ways or managing games use.

If the issue is with TalkTalk you'll need to call them directly and talk to them. Or more likely your parents would need to call them.

Trying to set up a PS4 with a VPN is a huge pain in the neck and often results in other issues such as getting NAT type 3. If you can avoid it then do.

ReputationRep:
    My guess is OP has younger siblings & parents don't want them playing games online? In blocking the siblings from playing online games, they've also blocked op's PS4. If this is the case, it should be possible for them to remove the gaming restriction for OP but keep it for the younger siblings. It does mean OP's parents going into parental controls on the settings & doing the restrictions for each family member.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Yes it is a setting that they've blocked within Talktalk parental controls...very annoying because I do not know the password for it and they're too stubborn to change the settings.

Is there any DNS settings that I could change within the router itself if I were to log in as an admin?

I've also tried using the VPN on my laptop and then running the connection from the PS4 to my laptop and through the VPN but unable to get past the first stage of finding IP due to network sharing over the laptop settings. Maybe if I could do this it maybe easier?

Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 29, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.