Gymnast7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I've finally decided a blog might be a good idea... After following a few blogs last year, I've decided to join in (and attempt to stop procrastination!)

A bit about me:

Spoiler:
Show

I've just started year 12 and I'm coping reasonably well with the jump up from GCSE, but I know I've got a lot of work to do if I want to do anywhere near as well at A' Level as I did at GCSE.
Recently, I have been struggling with procrastination and this blog (hopefully!) will be the motivation I need to keep on top of my work and go for the top grades.
Depending on how everything goes this year, I will hopefully be able to do all 4 of my subjects to A2.

GCSEs:

Spoiler:
Show

10A*s - English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, PE, History, German, Music
1A - Psychology

+ 1A in OCR FSMQ Additional Maths

A' Levels:
Spoiler:
Show

English Literature
History
Maths
Further Maths

Most Recent Grades:
Spoiler:
Show

English Literature - N/A
History - A
Maths - A
Further Maths - N/A
Gymnast7
Rep:
?
Update 30/10/16
So we've made it to half term! And I'm finally (only temporarily) essay-free! This past week has been hectic, with 4 maths tests (C1 part paper 1, C1 part paper 2, FP1 half paper and D1 full paper) and several essays for English and History.

To combat procrastination over the next week, I've made a list of tasks to complete, which I will update as I achieve them:
Spoiler:
Show

C1 Practice Paper
FP1 Matrices Mixed Exercise

Notes on Henry VII's government
Re-read all American history covered so far
Watch Henry VII video
Re-write marked Henry VII essay

Read and annotate Jane Eyre chapters
Re-write marked Jane Eyre essay x2
Collate basic contextual info about Charlotte Bronte
Annotate all of A Streetcar Named Desire

Finish 2011 Senior Maths Challenge paper
Complete 2013 and 2015 SMC papers to prepare for challenge
Revise basic maths for Senior Team Maths Challenge

Do at least 45 minutes practice a day for grade 8 flute exam
Play through orchestra material for concert at least twice
Review content for ballet exam
Refresh choreography for ballet show

Finish reading all core texts for EPQ
Read secondary material for EPQ
Write an initial plan for EPQ
Begin writing first draft of EPQ

Blake Jones
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Awesome! I wish you all the best in your studies! How often do you think you'll post?
Gymnast7
Rep:
?
Update 05/11/16
School starts again on Monday and I haven't done nearly as much as I intended to do...so much for combating procrastination!

I have revised my previous list of tasks for the next 2 days before school starts and (hopefully) I might get through them this time:

Spoiler:
Show

Annotate Jane Eyre Chapters 12-16
Annotate Scenes 1-3 of A Streetcar Named Desire

Finish re-reading all American History notes so far

Do 2015 SMC paper in timed conditions (and then work through any questions I couldn't do)

Finish annotating The Wasteland (EPQ)
Make all notes on Fitzgerald (EPQ)
Finish reading The Great Gatsby (EPQ)

Rainingpopcorn5
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Question : How the hell did you get 10A*?
Gymnast7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blake Jones)
Awesome! I wish you all the best in your studies! How often do you think you'll post?
Thanks! I'm going to aim to post 2-3 times a week, but I might end up posting a longer post once a week. I'll see how it goes!
Blake Jones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rainingpopcorn5)
How many did you get? I got 8A*s
Blake Jones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gymnast7)
Thanks! I'm going to aim to post 2-3 times a week, but I might end up posting a longer post once a week. I'll see how it goes!
Awesome! Good luck!
Gymnast7
Rep:
?
I didn't do that much defined revision: I just made sure I understood everything taught in class from September and used my teachers effectively. I had very dedicated teachers who were very willing to mark any practice exam questions I did in my own time, which helped a lot!

I would recommend making sure you understand absolutely everything taught, and that you prioritise the subjects you don't do as well in (and the ones you don't like!). For subjects like History, I made lists of key facts I could memorise and put in my answers, but doing well is mainly about understanding the mark scheme - break down mark schemes and examiner reports from previous years to figure out EXACTLY what they want to see.

Hope that helps!
student004
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I didn't do that much defined revision: I just made sure I understood everything taught in class from September and used my teachers effectively. I had very dedicated teachers who were very willing to mark any practice exam questions I did in my own time, which helped a lot!

I would recommend making sure you understand absolutely everything taught, and that you prioritise the subjects you don't do as well in (and the ones you don't like!). For subjects like History, I made lists of key facts I could memorise and put in my answers, but doing well is mainly about understanding the mark scheme - break down mark schemes and examiner reports from previous years to figure out EXACTLY what they want to see.

Hope that helps!
yeah its mostly dependent on the teacher for coursework
Rainingpopcorn5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Blake Jones)
How many did you get? I got 8A*s
Stop rubbing it in my face! Let's just say I didn't get as much as I could have. I'm chill bout it it though.
Rainingpopcorn5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Hope that helps!
Thanks! I was really unwell this year so I missed out on a lot of stuff. I'm learning from home now.
Gymnast7
Rep:
?
Thanks! I was really unwell this year so I missed out on a lot of stuff. I'm learning from home now.
I'm sorry about that. I hope you're better now. If you need any help just ask and I'll do my best to help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rainingpopcorn5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm sorry about that. I hope you're better now. If you need any help just ask and I'll do my best to help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks darlin.
Freshstart123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So I've finally decided a blog might be a good idea... After following a few blogs last year, I've decided to join in (and attempt to stop procrastination!)

A bit about me:

Spoiler:
Show

I've just started year 12 and I'm coping reasonably well with the jump up from GCSE, but I know I've got a lot of work to do if I want to do anywhere near as well at A' Level as I did at GCSE.
Recently, I have been struggling with procrastination and this blog (hopefully!) will be the motivation I need to keep on top of my work and go for the top grades.
Depending on how everything goes this year, I will hopefully be able to do all 4 of my subjects to A2.

GCSEs:

Spoiler:
Show

10A*s - English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, PE, History, German, Music
1A - Psychology

+ 1A in OCR FSMQ Additional Maths

A' Levels:
Spoiler:
Show

English Literature
History
Maths
Further Maths

Most Recent Grades:
Spoiler:
Show

English Literature - N/A
History - A
Maths - A
Further Maths - N/A

Everyone, do you think it is still considered to be early in the school year even though it is novemver, like do you think there is time to revise?
Gymnast7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Freshstart123)
Everyone, do you think it is still considered to be early in the school year even though it is novemver, like do you think there is time to revise?
I think there is still plenty of time to revise. In fact, for most people, it is probably best not to start hard core revision yet to avoid burn out. It is fine to do little bits, and revise for mocks, but there is still plenty of time left.

Posted from TSR Mobile
10cking
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely going to be following this blog this year! I see you are studying "A Streetcar Named Desire" and are doing your EPQ on Gatsby? I'm just about to finish 'Streetcar' and will be starting Gatsby at some point and wondered if you wanted to compare notes at all?
Also, WELL DONE! for your amazing GCSE results
username2904294
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How do you revise for English Literature? And what exam boards do you do for History and English Lit?
Gymnast7
Rep:
?
(Original post by 10cking)
Definitely going to be following this blog this year! I see you are studying "A Streetcar Named Desire" and are doing your EPQ on Gatsby? I'm just about to finish 'Streetcar' and will be starting Gatsby at some point and wondered if you wanted to compare notes at all?
Also, WELL DONE! for your amazing GCSE results
Thank you! It would be great to compare notes near exam time - especially key quotes! (though my Gatsby notes will be heavily biased as my question is specifically about the aftermath of world war 1 in literature!).

Which other texts are you studying? And which other subjects are you doing?
Gymnast7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mariaairfan)
How do you revise for English Literature? And what exam boards do you do for History and English Lit?
I tend to revise for English by re-reading the texts, picking out a few key quotes, and learning some contextual information and literary criticism. My revision tends to be just memorising as I find the analysis fairly easy to do on the spot. I make sure my knowledge of plot events (useful for structural analysis) and understanding of character are as strong as they possibly can be. Recently, I have started learning new vocabulary (such as 'zoomorphism') to strengthen my analysis of literary techniques, be it prose, drama or poetry. How do you revise for English - is your revision similar?

I do WJEC for English Literature and OCR for History - which exam boards do you do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?