Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I have applied to start Schools Direct next September (2017) with the primary age range.

I know it will differ slightly between locations etc, but can anyone give me any advice towards the interview of a schools direct course? What am I likely to expect?

Any other hints & tips would also be appreciated :-)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Like you say they will vary between different providers. A combination of the following could come up: a formal interview questioning you on your experience(This almost certainly will take place); you teaching a planned lesson to a full class or group of children( Again highly likely), subject knowledge audits; team exercises; an essay to test academic ability and pupil panel interviews, where you are asked questions by children from one of the school in the teaching alliance.

If you need to ask anything feel free to inbox me for advice.

ReputationRep:
    Interviews actually differ greatly between course providers because they can ask you to do whatever they want!

Typically, though, they involve some form of teaching. Again, the format of this will be different depending on the course provider e.g. it could be three or four children or, occasionally, it can be a whole class. Some course providers ask people to deliver a lesson for children but to the interviewers rather than the actual children, which is just awkward and unfair on the candidate if you ask me. The amount of time you have varies from 10 minutes to 20 minutes, which makes a big difference to what you can do. They can ask you to teach/deliver a particular activity, such as sharing a story with the children, or leave it completely up to you.

You would probably be asked to sit a maths and/or English test. They tend to be based on the Year 6 curriculum (which is somewhat harder than you might think if you're out of practice!) to make sure you have the subject knowledge necessary to teach up to Year 6.

There's always an interview - some course providers keep them relatively informal whereas others treat it just as seriously as a job interview.

There can be other 'fun' activities thrown in like being asked to pull a random object out of a bag and then teach something about it on the spot or delivering a presentation on a topic, such as current education issues.

If children are involved in the interview process, they are looking to see how well you interact with them. Ask them their names/use their names if they have come with name labels on to show that you are personable. Give them opportunities to talk to both you and each other by asking them questions and always support/mingle amongst them if you ask them to do some independent work. The content of your lesson isn't too important as long as it's appropriate for their age and engages them.

There are tons of 'typical interview questions' websites out there, so take a look at those to prepare for that aspect.

Best of luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I have an interview for a School Direct placement next Wednesday, just wondering if you have any tips?

When i have spoken to the deputy head she said it would be good to have some questions ready to ask in the interview, any ideas on what would be suitable questions?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You could ask about which approaches they use for teaching English and maths. Lots of schools use Singapore-based schemes for maths now and, for English, Talk for Writing. Have they provided information about where your other placement would be? You could ask about that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbzburke)
    Hi Guys,

I have an interview for a School Direct placement next Wednesday, just wondering if you have any tips?

When i have spoken to the deputy head she said it would be good to have some questions ready to ask in the interview, any ideas on what would be suitable questions?

Thanks
    Ask about how the training is provided and who by.
    Ask about the the course structure. So how you build your time table from observation to taking full control of the class.
    You could also ask what types of school you could potentially experience as part of their course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I have an interview for SD 2017 next week and I am concerned about doing a 5 minute presentation ( no ICT) on a current educational topic. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. 🤔

ReputationRep:
    Primary assessment is a good and very current one. Have a look at what has been said about Justine Greening's announcement last week by the unions and newspapers. Provide an overview of current viewpoints on this matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pierson)
    Primary assessment is a good and very current one. Have a look at what has been said about Justine Greening's announcement last week by the unions and newspapers. Provide an overview of current viewpoints on this matter.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied for Cheshire Leadership and Teaching Alliance and have any advice about the interview?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.